Register now to get rid of these ads!

will a granada dual master cylinder work on my 54 ford???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baggs, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Baggs

Baggs

yes or no??

2. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i used 77 vette on my53,,the bolt holes are very close..but had to modify the rod.

3. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

No reason why it wouldn't. Are you using disc front, drum rear?

4. dont know about a granada but a late 60's mustangs should, i know they fit my 57 ford

5. Baggs

Baggs

Disc front, drum rear yes

6. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

I don't know about a 54, but I think that the mounting holes on the Granada mc are offset (not at the 3&9 o'clock position) and won't bolt directly to the firewall. Early Mustang, Falcoln and Comets all benefit from the ability to swap spindles for the granada disc set up but I haven't heard or read about using the granada master cylinder. Measure bolt distance and bore size for a bolt on swap. If you pull a master cylinder make sure that you pull the proportioning block too. Adjustable after market ones are cheap enough but scrap yards where I am usually don't charge for the block.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. Baggs

Baggs

well I have a new Granada mc. I will look at the bolt location to see if they are at 9 and 3.

8. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Yeah, I could be wrong on that one, not for sure. I'm in the middle of swaping my 61 Comets brakes and mc and can't remember why i didn't use the Granade one.

9. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

should work fine, used one on my galaxie. the bolt holes are at 9 and 3 btw.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you are still running all drum brakes,I would not use it.I have helped a lot of guys with the dual master swap,(I have a '54 myself) the best and easiest is from a 67-68 Mustang with drum brakes $29.95 at Autozone part# Fenco M1485, disc front rear drum is a M1378 it will bolt right up and the '54 pushrod is the correct length.The old master has 4 bolts these also support the pedal assembly inside the car,the bottom two will go in the new master,the top two need to be put back in to the support bracket thru the firewall.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  11. Baggs

Baggs

I will be swapping to front discs and keeping the rear drums. can i still use the master that i have?? or would i be better off getting one for a 67-8 mustang??

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

It'll only work if you can make the plunger slide in the bore when you hit the brake pedal; otherwise, no.

13. Baggs

Baggs

ok. well i did some more research on the hamb, and found a part number from napa. it a true stop brand 10-1488. does anyone, or has anyone used this one also?? its a little cheaper than the others i have found. it does have the same bore size.

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I gave you the part numbers that work,I have probably helped close to 20 folks with 52-56 Fords with this master cylinder swap and never a problem,$29.95 and you have zero worries.

15. buymeamerc

buymeamerc
    from s.c.,usa

what brake light switch do I using for this swap?