Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will a 4l80e bolt on to SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KarKrazy56, Jun 23, 2013.

  1. KarKrazy56
    Joined: Jun 7, 2012
    Posts: 63

    from NJ

    Will a 4l80e bolt on to a 283 sbc? Would it fit in a 50 Chevy coupe? Any special bell housing needed? What would I need to make it work?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  2. desotot
    Joined: Jan 29, 2008
    Posts: 1,805


  3. Salty
    Joined: Jul 24, 2006
    Posts: 2,259

    from Florida

    In short.....yes....nothing special other than the converter harness....matter of fact I put one in a 50 Chevy business coupe with a small block and had no issues at all....

    I also have one in a 49 Chevy issues there either.
  4. scrappybunch
    Joined: Nov 16, 2011
    Posts: 306

    from nj

    It will bolt up. But why have that super heavy trans behind a 283. The torque converter alone weighs a freekin ton and needs 6 bolts for the flex plate. The 700r4 or 4l60e will be more than able to handle the task.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. drptop70ss
    Joined: May 31, 2010
    Posts: 1,145

    from NY

    Really? All the 4L80s I am familiar with are full computer controlled and need a controller to be run on a non computer controlled car. What year trans are you using?
  6. gimpyshotrods
    Joined: May 20, 2009
    Posts: 17,054


    The E in 4L80E means electronic (as it does in every GM trans that ends in E). Without a standalone controller, the trans will do nothing.

    The nomenclature is:

    4 - Number of forward gears.
    L- Longitudinal (as opposed to: T -transverse i.e. FWD).
    80 - 8000lbs gross vehicle weight.
    E - Electronic.

    The TH400 later was renamed the 3L80 (454 SS pickup). The 700R4 was later renamed the 4L60. Note the absence of an E in both of those.

    The 3L80 was discontinued, and replaced with the 4L80E, and later joined by the 6L80E. The 4L60 was replaced by the 4L60E. There are heavy-duty versions of each, most often denoted as 65E and 85E.

    All of those which end in E, require a controller, PCM, or engine management computer to shift them.
  7. Dane
    Joined: May 6, 2010
    Posts: 1,353

    from Soquel, CA

  8. gimpyshotrods
    Joined: May 20, 2009
    Posts: 17,054


    Yeah, you will need a throttle position sensor too. And a speedometer drive, if you want to keep a mechanical speedometer.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.