Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will a 1941 Ford Hood fit a 1947?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Chad s

Chad s

Not counting the grill area ligning up with the bottom of the leading edge of the hood, will a 41 ford hood fit properly against the cowl and on top of the fenders of a 47?

I want to take advantage of the smoother hood with no wide center rib, but not have to do extensive welding on my 47 hood, which will warp extremely easily. I'm using a 48 cadillac grill anyway, so a lot of work to the front end is necessary anyway.

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

The '41 (& '42) hood is narrower at the front- would leave a gap at the fenders on both sides.

3. Chad s

Chad s

Thanks. I'll have to gas weld on my 47 hood so I can hammer out the shrinkage. I have a spare hood to try on first.

4. alchemy

alchemy

I'm sure I've seen a '41 hood on a '47 before. Was a Sportsman if I recall correctly. But that's not saying he didn't have to do some gap-filling somewhere to get it to fit.

It looked good, without that large rib. Pretty sleek.

5. it will fit. pissed me off. I cut the center addition on my 48 and ended up with a 41 hood. the hood will line up on the later fenders also. I've never seen a 41-48 ford hood and fenders that didn't have an uneven gap

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Wow! Really? I was told different- would love to hear the real scoop.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Why not jus' let in the core support the required amount to cover the
    gaps?

Swankey Devils C.C.

8. bonesy

bonesy

Does anyone have a picture of the '41 hood with the later fenders?

9. Chad s

Chad s

I think that the Lopez 41 had 47 fenders, but who knows if the fenders were modified to make it work. Sounds like this could work. I'm going to call a guy in NY that sells all 41-48 ford and merc parts. I think he can put a 41 hood on a 47 body for me before I buy a hood from him. I'll find out the scoop tomorrow.

10. Chad s

Chad s

I'm not on the same page, can you explain what you mean here?

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If I'm not mistaken, the core support is what locates the fenders
    inboard or outboard from the striker post on the hood. If the
    core support is sectioned (amount of gaps from the fenders removed), and rewelded, this will allow the fenders to line up
    without major gaps, no?

Swankey Devils C.C.

12. '41 hood is narrow, too narrow to use on a '46-'48.

A '42 hood will work, its not as narrow as a 41, but not quite the right width to match up with the top grill piece on the 46-48.

Here is some links to pics from the Steve's Auto Restorations Website showing how a '42 hood fits a '46 nose. first pic has the marker outline of the 46 grill piece.
    http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/_images/webimages/_project/DSCN7785-750.jpg
    http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/_images/webimages/_project/DSCN7768-750.jpg

'42 Fords used the same inside front fender pieces as the '46 (parking lights above the grill), but the outside pieces were unique to the 42 to fit the grill pieces. 41 Ford fenders were completely different.

http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/projects.php?projid=51&ptype=2

I'll using a '42 Ford hood on my '46, no center "belt", I will be modifying the top grill bar to work, like the one from the SAR website, but mine will be peaked and extend into the grill.

13. If you look inside the 47-8 hood you can see Ford added a filler strip that widened the 41 hood 3 inches in the front and narrows down at the fire wall. the the 48 hood lays more than an 1 1/2 inches over the fenders
    it does not line up with the stock grill

I didn't find out that it's not supposed to work till after I did it

14. I looked for a 42 hood for a long time and had no luck. Finally decided to rework my 46 hood and blend in the top of the grill to the hood. Big job and not for the faint of heart. I don't think I would do it again. 2" pie cut and the center rib removed and flat stock added to maintain original width. Had to rework the nose several times till it was the way I wanted it. First attempts looked like a bubble butt.

Attached Files:

15. Chad s

Chad s

Thanks guys, I will be using a 42 hood.