Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wildcat 401 Nailhead in a '57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Dec 22, 2010.

?
  1. '58 Chevy 283 w/4 Deuces

70 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. '66 Buick 401 Wildcat w/dual quads

212 vote(s)
    75.2%

1. Well I'm a chebby man but you know that already right.

Go with the Buick. It will make probably make it a little nose heavy but if you keep the gas on that will lighten it up a bit. :D

Anyway the Buick is the way to go. Less revs but more grunt.

2. robleticia

robleticia

3. fryguy

fryguy

Go with the Buick! I think the 283 with the 4 deuces is a cool setup, theres nothing like a Hot rod Nailhead!

4. billy46

billy46
    from Australia

Yes, the nailhead sounds good. I have a 401 and a Turbo400 sitting in my shed, I was thinking of dropping a built 383 SBC in my 59 LeSabre, but after reading posts here, I am seriously rethinking.
    Am putting Jag Front & Rear suspension ( Great Brakes) into the 59.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Let's see, take the most popular engine of all time, and replace it with something that has'nt been made for 45 years. I'm going against the general opinion here I know. The Buick has all kinds of curb appeal however. Take the 283, AND the nailhead, and trade them both for a BBC. Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Nailhead,Nailhead,Nailhead!:D:D:D

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

No question- nothing more boring than another cheapo sbchebbie engine. My bud's parents had a Wildcat with a 2x4 425 and a 4-spd when we first got our licenses, lots of torque, and a nice intake roar- not quite like one of my 427's, but pretty darn good. Nails do look pretty sweet all dressed up, and I'd be surprised if it weighed much more than a sbc- which ain't all that light in the non-brainwashed world. One of my 427's with an aluminum intake weighs about the same as a sbc, and a sbf is considerably lighter

8. Make sure you put a stick behind that Nail.....dosen't cost any more than other motors.

9. Dzus

Dzus

It never ceases to amaze me how many trucks must have gotten nailhead swaps. They're still coming out the woodwork.

10. 4284555sd

4284555sd

On the oil pan, you'll have to change it to a rear pick up pan. All of the old 322 had rear, but they want fit the 401. You have to use the 65-66 skylark GS pan and pick up . The buick man in CA. has them. I can't think of his name now, but i have it in my office. If you want his phone # let me know. The buick engine you're going to use has 445 ft P. of torque and 325 HP. It will put most sbc in there place. The nailhead has a sound all there own. I'm 64 years old and I've put nailheads in every kind of car and truck that you can think of.I put a 364 in a 58 International pickup, I got a buggy, that I made back in 1970 with a 322 with 2 fours on it and 327's could not out run it. Lay off the 2x4, and go with a Q jet and maniflow from a 66. They make more power. The SP 400 is good but you don't have to have it. I have some buick engine in the shop and going to put in some old cars. You can call me @ Robinson Auto 859 548 5431. Use the Buick YOU WILL LIKE IT.

11. sololobo

sololobo

Oh Boy, what a hipster thing this will be. I am sure that sbc could find a home in some ol car. M's blue chebby is so cool also, way hip stuff all the way. Thanx for showing that beauty to us, it looks familiar and surely was in some books. Good luck with your project man, you might spend a few more bucks going with the nailhead, but the end result, tre-f'n-mendous!! ~sololobo~

12. Garagedog00

Garagedog00
    BANNED
    from NY

That buick motor is a ripper

13. Waiting for the snow to go away so I can pick up the Buick and do the swap! In the meantime, I brought the '57 back to a more period mid 60's feel and added an appropriate name...
    -Dean

Attached Files:

14. mj40's

mj40's

You can use the rear sump pan off the 364's and it's Russ Martin on here that sells the pickup tubes for that conversion. That's what I'm using on my 401 with a 700r4.

15. shoestring

shoestring

Good choice! It will look good and go fast.

16. mj40's

mj40's

So will a 400 Chevy out-run the 401 nailhead as stated before? :rolleyes:

17. HEMPMAN

HEMPMAN
    from Calgary

Buick. IT WILL LOOK BETTER!

18. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

bad ass Buick :)

19. No shame in a winding SBC.

20. I always thought it looks better to have a thick wallet and a fast car.

21. I agree even though I have an early Cad mill fetish. If you think these dinosaurs are going to be competitive with built SBC, quit puffing and please pass!

22. Use the Nailhead. When I was in high school in Montana my boss put 401's in his Chevy 2 1/2 ton stock trucks so he could be first at the sale barn.

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Why are you here? You sound like you really don't get it at all. :eek:

What's makes use the term big block about a Nailhead? :rolleyes:

ummm.. yeah... :D:D:D

24. snaptwo

snaptwo

Shades of Edgar and Jimmie Sanderson '59 chevy post with one whup arse 364, 4 Fish carbs,fenderwell headers. It was a daily driver gasser .

25. robertsregal

robertsregal

Nailheads Rule!!!

26. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Back in the day, lots of guys used Buicks, I seem to recall they used a stick Buick bellhousing and redrilled 2 holes in order to run a chev. trans. Today you can buy any adapters you need.

27. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

do the buick, nothing aginst the sbc but i just get tired of looking at them. i'd almost rather see a volvo in there than a sbc:D

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

best way to ruin a 55-57 Chevy is to put an inferior Buick motor in it.... why not knock out a couple windows and rip up the interior while you are busy screwing things up?

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

IF the Buick nailhead is so "good", why are they still not being built by G.M.? They quit making them in what, 64? When did they quit making the SBC? And how long did they make each? The Buick would be different, but I'd trade it for a W motor to be different. I know, this is an old thread, and he did put the Buick in the car. The bottom line, like everyone says, it's your car, do what YOU want. Just don't hack it up. Butch/56sedandelivery.

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

'66... but you once again are proving you just don't get what this place is about. When did they stop producing the 283 should be a valid question as well with your attitude. :eek: