Register now to get rid of these ads!

wild flat head *warning egay*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskool55, Apr 24, 2005.

1. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

2. vicsinner

vicsinner

3. coupe5w36

coupe5w36

Wow. That is one awesome looking flatmotor. Does anyone know about those twin-plug heads? Are they Kong or something else?

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

they look like oneoff solid billet pieces,,, i never seen anything like em, but i kinda like the dual plug idea... puts the heat of the spark right over the combustion chamber.... *shrug*

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

They look kinda like some of the dual-plug heads Kong Jackson used to make...

:cool:

6. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

They look alot like the Kong heads but i'm not sure about them ever having dual plugs? That thing is sick looking and prob screws...I wish there was a sound clip of it.....I think its kool...

Dirty

7. tred

tred

yeah, kong jackson.

anyone care to give us their estimate on how much horsepower this thing pumps out???
    please.

tred.

8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Damn thats an awsome lookin flatty! Wonder what the reserve is?

9. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Let's see 324 cubes with some pretty radical mods. If this combo works I'd say 285-290 hp on gasoline (I could be way off). There is alot of work in that engine. Look at the modified oil pan and that great big main cap support. Looks like an sbc vibration dampner on the front. A 180 degree crank inside, this thing is radical, I'd love to hear it run.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

With that crank it'll prolly sound more like an inline 6 than a flat 8:eek:

They don't quite sound the same with those 180 cranks...

11. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Joe Amato ran a top fuel nitro hemi with a 180 degree crank during winter testing in Bradenton Fla some years back. The thing sounded like a swarm of angry bumble bees X 10. Guess it did'nt work so good 'cause I've never seen one since. That or it has been outlawed.

12. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

My only disapointment(not that I was gonna buy it) was that they filled the water passages with hard block, never could go into a street car. now if I only had a ancient FED to put it into:D

Drew

13. Now thats a flathead! I've never liked the performance of a flatmotor. yes they are a great looking engines, but have about as much power as my lawnmower.

I have some friends that have invested huge amounts of money to get 200 hp out of a flathead. Thats fine if thats what they want. And they usually look great also.

I'd have to say that motor is closer the 300 hp range. But still a far cry for what you would get with the money invested that engine compared any OHV engine.

14. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

15. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

This engine has huge bores (by Flathead standards) 3 7/16". I've always been interested in trying a different approach to Flathead bulding. In a race only engine I'd like to try the biggest possible bore with a sleeve if neccesary 3 7/16" or 3 1/2" and an ultra short stroke like 3'" or 3 1/4". I think the Flathead Ford's intake ports are well designed and positioned, albeit limited by the fact that they are next to the cylinder instead of above it. They look to me like they can be made to support higher engine speeds than they are normally asked to do in a typical long stroke combination. Also the 7" c to c connecting rods need to be looked at. Piston accelleration with a shorter rod just after tdc is greater than that of a longer rod. What this will do (I think) is initiate a stronger "vacumn signal" sooner just as the intake valve is opening. In a Flathead the more breathing you can induce at low valve lift points the better off you are because they are limited somewhat in this area. Somewhere in this scenario I think a better balance of breathing and compression ratio can be found. I have a sneaking suspicion that Kenny Kloth's 150 mph Merc might employ some radical ideas such as these. Barney Navarro's record setting roadters had a big bore/short stroke and supercharged Flathead. I'll bet he was after the best possible cylinder filling he could get and then multiplying that result by a greater number of rpms to acheive his record setting result.

Sorry if I sound like a dodo head by rambling. Figure if I'm wrong someone will tell me why and I'll save the time and money of trying it someday.

16. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Yes I agree that a Flathead can't compare in an outwright hp war with a well designed ohv engine. That's not the point really, it's more about how much can we wring out of this well designed "antique" engine. That's the challenge.

17. BORED

BORED
    from BOERNE,Tx

18. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Holy crap!!!!

19. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

Wow, it runs on pancakes. It says "Block and pan modified to run a king type GRIDDLE". Heheh. And this dudes gonna build engines?

20. Maybe it's just the pictures,but the lower spark plugs look a little "funny".
    How are you supposed to get a socket on them,
    since the counter bore is so small ? :confused:

21. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

(Beware) He’s a nice guy, but can be a little less than forthcoming with details. He’s mainly is a wheeler dealer. I doubt he has any first hand knowledge on the thing. But I could be mistaken.

22. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

23. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

yeah i ment 2 ill fix that....

24. Missouri_Mike

Missouri_Mike

Actually, per Ryan, that rule only stands in the classifieds section....

And yeah, that's a wicked looking flat motor. It'd be nice to see someone like one of our more creative HAMBer's end up with it, just to see what it would go into!!

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If someone here buys it I'm hoping they put it in something that's flat black and has red wheels. it's about time a REAL hot rod got some decent power.:rolleyes:

Frank

26. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

He wants 8grand Australian , the block is filled .the heads are KONG and is said to be one of Jacksons old engines .The idea behind twin plugs is that flatmotors love advance and lots of it ,cause the flame is ten feet from where its gonna be doing work,flame travel /time ,stuff like that .side by side is another valid and proven way to limit the advance grenade thing .

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

hey fullhouse, that was 4 years ago

28. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

thats one hell of a thread dig

29. I had seen/saved some pix that I saw of this engine some 5 years ago - it IS the same engine.

The pix were in the US - now its ended up here Down under and is being on-sold again. Not thast theres anything wrong with that of course.

Interesting indeed....

Rat

30. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

And the problem is ...?