Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs wierd "theoretical" chevy woody 1930s in spain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sigfurniture, Oct 17, 2015.

1. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

thought i´d post a pic or 2 on here of the latest "repair" job..its essentially an odd artisanal spanish job from the 30´s using bits of cars...the deeds say chevy..in fact the dates say 1928...which i disagree with...i know you chaps may find it interesting and may help spread a bit of light on the subject...its obviously a work in progress..has a straight 4 in at the moment..the owner is sticking a rover v8 in soonish..it had some odd geometry which i´m trying to sort out WP_20150828_17_28_50_Pro.jpg WP_20150929_18_02_21_Pro.jpg WP_20151009_18_59_16_Pro.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Could there be any Jeep genes in it? Gary

Hnstray likes this.
  3. none of the tin, looks chevrolet to me.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. moefuzz

moefuzz

A pic of The firewall and/or dash may be of help, the rest of the car is unfamiliar.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

haha i knew you lot would enjoy deciphering the thing..heres the dash WP_20150808_11_51_49_Pro.jpg

7. bct

bct

I love them old willys

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Could be a Chevy frame going by parallel front springs. That cowl looks nothing like a Chevy IMHO. The grill looks 34/5 Chevy Standard however not the correct insert or trim band. Rear body looks Jeep wagoneerish?
    upload_2015-10-18_21-28-55.jpeg

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

Interesting steering wheel.
    The center button appears to have been an add on?
    I can't imagine a manufacturer designing the center/button of the steering wheel
    to look so unfinished.

The banjo style steering wheel itself almost looks to be of a newer design than the car itself.
    ...just thinking out loud here, hopefully someone will chime in with more correct info.

10. LAROKE

LAROKE

Pretty curvy woodwork for that early. Maybe Gaudi influence. Ha

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

1928 was the last year Chev made a 4 cylinder at least until the 1960s. It may be built on a 1928 Chev chassis with some later sheet metal and a locally built woody wagon body.

Was this something they used to do in Spain? Have an old car rebuilt? Were new cars difficult to get in the thirties and forties?

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is for sure something built much later than the 4 cylinder Chevy motor! It is a VERY interesting home build, actually quite handsome, and decoding the sources of the body parts will be an interesting puzzle.
    The resemblance to the (steel bodied) Jeep wagon is so strong I would think that it provides a date...whoever built the thing had seen one of those and had access to a pretty good junkyard!
    The body looks professional...a body like that was not built with home repair tools and wood from the house repair yard!
    Show a picture of the motor and of the front axle area...it would help to identify the actual chassis as '28 Chevy or whatever.