Register now to get rid of these ads!

Width and height of Jaguar IRS cage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldandnew, Nov 15, 2012.

1. oldandnew

oldandnew
    from FL

Hi everyone
    I'm new in this forum and a hot-rodding virgin.
    I've been reading some posts and this forum is great!

I just bought a Cobra replica body for peanuts and plan mounting it on a mostly unmodified OEM ladder frame with its front suspension and steering untouched, to get it rolling quickly and safely.
    Being my first project I want to avoid broken welds as much as possible by using mostly unmodified OEM components, for safety sake.
    For the rear I'll mount a Jaguar IRS complete with its cage and radius arms.

For the donor frame, so far I've considered mounting it on a Geo or Chevrolet Tracker frame for several reasons:

* Its wheelbase is really close. Cobra wheelbase is 90" and Tracker wheelbase is 86.6" so I'll have to mount the Jag IRS offset just 3.4" to the rear, which makes mounting points really close to the frame original coil springs mounting points. I don't want to risk a broken weld by stretching or shortening a frame for now. At most I'll box some frame sections or add some reinforcements.

* The frame already includes independent front suspension with disc brakes and steering mechanism.

* It has been properly designed by an automaker, its light and stiff (at least off road) and even has been crash tested. Even its gas tank seats inside the frame.

So, in short, Can you guys please tell me the width and height for the Jaguar IRS cage?

Rear Tracker frame rails are about 32" apart, its rear frame hump is about 8" tall.
    Will the Jag IRS unit fit when installed with its cage?
    Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot buddies.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. 73RR

73RR

...well...really not trying to bust your balls, but...
    Your first post needs to be an introduction.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

If you have been lurking and read any of the Jag install posts then why not send a pm to the posters?

And then the subject of your post...not exactly Hamb friendly so don't be surprised if it disappears.