Register now to get rid of these ads!

widening aluminum wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32dreamer, Nov 30, 2005.

1. 32dreamer

32dreamer

Does anybody do this? I have a set of slotted mags that i would like to have done someday. I have a second pair that could be used for materials for this.

2. How narrow are they?
    If they are skinny enough I'll find you a wider set.

Now as for your question, I'm sure you can find a machine shop somewhere to do it, but the cost would be outa this world. First off that's a lot of cast aluminum to get hot enough to weld, then you'll have to keep it straight, then there is the liability.

That said if no one on here does it you might contact some wheel manufactureres, like WELD or something. They might be willing to do it or make you some one offs.

3. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

32dreamer, I don't know much about widening aluminum wheels but I do have two 15x12 aluminum slots that are in perfect condition that currently have some N50-15 Mickey's on them. I might consider dealing on some 15x8's if they were in primo shape. I need to get the rearend of my 56 down and the 15x12 are just too wide to allow for that to happen.

4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Just throwing something out here which doesn't probably relate or will not apply.
    Years ago I had a set of reverse aluminum slots that would have hung out of the wheelwell about 5 inchs. I just polished the back side a little and installed them backwards and they fit super. No-one could ever guess the brand of wheel because they didn't realise they were looking at the backside

As far as widening one I see no problem,as long as the centers are the same diameter. I would get someone with a lathe to cut them and actually put a step on the cut so they would fit together straight and you could weld in two different places.
    Some race car stuff actually bolts together ,perhaps half of one of them could be bolted thru the front with nifty bolts and would actually not look so bad.

Best of luck

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

eric vaughn added a new section to the back of my 15x6 torq-thrusts, for a total of 9.5", about 5.5" of backspace. beautiful welds, straight and leak-free. the rim section he added looks like a center line auto-drag piece, but i'm not 100% certain what it really was. not cheap and it took a while, but the offset is perfect, something you can't get with vintage wheels, most of which have too much positive offset. air shocks and shredded sidewalls are too old-school for me!

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

of course it can be done,
    but with the slot mags you should be able to find the size you are looking for

that would be the only reason I see for having it done,
    that you need a size or offset that is not available.

a for instance:
    I have a pair of American Racing Torq-Thrusts that someone in the past had narrowed,
    they were 7x15s with 1/2" positive offset,
    were narrowed on the backside an inch and a half
    making them 5-1/2x15s with a 1" negative offset.

aparently something that was not available over the counter

Attached Files:

7. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

there is some company in new jersey that will do aluminum wheels. I see them every year at the english town swap meet. they have a late corvette wheel that is 18" wide, a harley fat boy wheel narrowed to use a dragster front tire. i will have to check and see if i have one of there cards at home.

8. brandon

brandon

he's the one i would recommend.....he did some work on a mag small window for me ....price wasn't hateful.....and the turn around was decent...a lot of places won't even consider doing anything like this.....liability and all .....brandon

9. 32dreamer

32dreamer

Thanks to everyone who responded. I ended up finding some wide rims locally.:)

10. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Anyone else have any input on this? A pal of mine may have to have a set of impossible to find 15x7 cast aluminum wheels cut down to 15x5.

11. red one

red one

I just found this posting and was wondering how old it is,more so i was wondering if these 15x12's were still around.I take it the 56 is a chev?If you still have the 15x12's I,d like to see them,I've got a pair of 15x10's that are 5 on 4.75-3.5 back space that might serve your purpose,I'd be willing to offer up some cash and my wheels for yours.

12. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Weldcraftwheels.com

13. millersgarage

millersgarage

oh, he beat me to it. They specialize in widening aluminum wheels. They did my steel wires too.