Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wide Five drums/ford spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CornBinder, Sep 12, 2009.

1. CornBinder

CornBinder

I have a problem hoping someone can help me out. I have a set of wide five drums that measure about 8" deep, I also have a set of un-matching drums (wide five) that measure about 7.5" this fit my spindles great, but don't match.

so here is my question, I have 42-48 spindles, and hydraulic backing plates.

1) Is there a ford spindle that is longer? if so what years and who has a set for sale?
    2) Is there a different hydraulic backing plate that can be used with the deeper drums? and what year?
    3) what year would the longer snout drums be from?

I am pretty sure that I will have to buy another set of drums, but I have seen some great solutions here in the past - Thanks

2. CornBinder

CornBinder

sorry - one set is about 6.5" deep and the other about 5 5/8 deep

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is a kit that you can buy intened to put hydraulic backing plates on pre 1937 spindles. In that kit there are a pair of spacers that move the drums in or out to adjust for the problems you are having. the kits are cheap from any old Ford parts source. The easiest way to do it though is to use '37-'39 drums. The spacing should be just right on your spindles. '36 I believe are the longer snout. hope that helps, Chip

4. trad27

trad27

Dont quite know mesurments but I have a set of lincoln wide-five drums that I was going to use but ran into the same problem you are describing, ended up getting a ford set. If they have a couple fins running around the out side then they are Lincoln. for sale if anyone cares.

[​IMG]

5. CornBinder

CornBinder

Thanks - mine look lie the Lincoln drums - they measure 6.5", about .5" to long - thanks

6. trad27

trad27

Yours look anything like this? Mocked my lincoln drums up again to see if I could think of anyway to make them work. I am drawing a blank:confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, there are two different wide five drums. The depth differences are because of the spindle change in 1937. The drums you have are probably '36 drums....you'll need '37-'39 to work with '39-'48 hydraulic brakes.

8. cannuk

cannuk

Question ! When I'm at a swap meet how do i tell 36 fronts from 37 38 39 fronts Thanks Chris

9. 8 year old thread, but the 36 spindles were longer, and consequently a longer snout as well. I should be able to measure the later (37-39) drums tonight and give you a figure. If you are at the swap and find a drum with a longer snout, you'll know it's a 36.

10. With a 37-39 drum sitting flat on table (no backing plate, just drum) I measure 5 3/4” from the lip of the drum to the top of the drum snout.