Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wide 5 project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by myjalopy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Elrod

Elrod

dagummit. been working on a similar set up for a while. Now seeing this becoming fairly popular. I work too slow. haha.

Outback likes this.
  2. here is a picture from the web that shows the difference between spindles spindleComp.jpg

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  3. myjalopy

myjalopy

Fantastic, thank you for that side by side shot.... what a learning adventure this has been... thanks for all the info guys... took the car out this weekend and brakes worked great....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. So, I have read this post and re-read it a few times. I am confused as to how you got the longer snout and bearings of the 36 hub to fit on the shorter later spindles? When I look at the pictures it looks like you have full castle nut engagement, when I know you should be having problems there.

5. myjalopy

myjalopy

Ok, I can give somewhat of an explanation... now I do not know if the bearing races were pulled and replaced or if they were modified... I started by measuring a stock 37 drum... took all the internal measurements and went to these drums and they measured the same.... the offset was different.. so that's were the recessed backing plates came into play... now once I got the backing plates set, I was able to assemble everything... once I greased the bearing ( which were ford bearings and seals, and same as my 37bearing/seals) I set my preload on my bearings and took her out... I did not completely like the seat so I machined up a shim to give the rear bearing a better fit.... I drove the car all over Syracuse this weekend and no problems with the brakes.. wheels bearings are tight and spin just as smooth if not better than my stock drums... I did check spindles to see where my bearings are running and they are in place... not knowing anything about these drums before I started, I went the route of "making it fit the spindles properly and modify the rest... again, maybe these were modified before I got them...

Outback, catdad49 and Hendee like this.
  6. Hendee

Hendee

Wish I had gotten to SYR this year again and would have tracked you down. Car looks great btw.

Tom

7. myjalopy

myjalopy

Hendee, love the stash of those brakes u got... Let me tell ya, no one knows what they are in the general public... lol.... hey do you come across them often in Canada... seems to be more seen there than here in the states... I try to make Syracuse every year... one of the best shows... beautiful area and tons of cars.... hope to meet you next year...

8. Where abouts in Ontario are you? Nice collection of wide 5 drums.
    Question wasn't directed at me, but I'm also in Ontario, and while wide 5 stuff is scarce (compared to earlier and later drums/rims), I find wide 5 stuff without too much trouble. Found a NOS front and rear 37-39 drum across town on pure luck last year. Picked up two complete rear ends, and 8 rims in the past year or so without too much looking.

9. myjalopy

myjalopy

I'm coming to Ontario... Hershey is not far from here but I can be sure they are not the same prices for the same stuff... I need to track down another set of these drums... please let me know if any of these wide 5 mechanical drums pop up in your adventures around Canada....

10. What years? and fronts or rears?

11. myjalopy

myjalopy

12. When are you coming to Ontario?

13. To use the dished Lincoln front brakes on Ford V8 (37 to 48) spindles you need a 5/8" spacer. The spacer goes between the backing plate and the spindle. You can also take the emergency brake hardware off of Lincoln rear brakes and use them on the front.

This thread is old time hot rodding at it's best!

Outback and 117harv like this.
  14. Thanks JR....will take a pic.....your correct - thinking they are just 5 on 5 1/2...not wide five stuff....

15. Elrod

Elrod

1939-1940 Lincoln Front Brakes - Deepest Offset. Fit Model A - 1934 spindles from the factory.

1941 Lincoln Front Brakes - This is the brake all the after market companies sell as "1939 Lincoln Brakes" 1 year only for front brakes. Most shallow offset like a Ford backing plate. Bolt pattern fits 1935-1948 Ford spindles. 1941 Lincoln Front plates are the same as 1939-1948 Rear backing plates, except they don't have the hole for the Emergency brake. (I'm showing a rear backing plate because it has the e-brake hole)

1942-1948 Lincoln Front Brakes - Medium depth. Bolt pattern is like 1935-1948 spindles. Requires the "spacer" that bib overalls mentioned above to push shoes closer to drum, like the 1941 plate.

The reproduction "1939 lincoln brakes" are a combination of lots of features of these brakes.

[​IMG]

16. Carlos Everhard

Carlos Everhard

hello im in need of 2 sets of (rear) Rocky Mountain brakes. does anyone have any for sale or know anyone who does.? i think they are 1936 five wide..?

17. Would you ever create another set to sell?
    At 24 years old, I dont have the skill to make something like this just yet!

Outback and Carter like this.
  18. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Sooo.. pair up the wide 5 rocky mountain drums with the skelaton racing backers for 'ultra -cool' see through brakes

Outback likes this.
  19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Slick guys! I love wide 5s, not many people run them so they usually are available at cheap prices (or free) and you can run them bare or use the many different styles of caps, including Lincoln ones. Neat man

Outback and Carter like this.