Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why would a friend pinch you out of a deal??? Sorry O/T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desertratrodder, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Why is it when you tell a friend about a deal youre putting together, that if he mentions it to someone else, (a "FRIEND"), that the dude jumps on the phone and tries to jerk it out from under you???
    I understand the motivations of making a buck, and we all need to do it as much as we can. But Fuck, I'm trying to work a guy thats high priced on his end, and the stuff I have is something he has to have.
    My deal was to push him down a bit, and do an even trade. BUT SOMEONE WHOSE NAME I WONT MENTION YET stepped in and made this guy think it was a great deal for his shit, so hes back where we started.
    THis shit happens at the swaps too, you have a part in your hand and Satchmo comes over and says "I'll buy it" even though it should be yours first..
    What happened to the honor that used to be?? I passed up 5 63 Falcon NOS grills, plus a ton of other shit because a guy was looking at it and making a deal.. He got it all for 400 bucks, 1 grill is worth that.
    By the way.. The deal I was trying to do was a 26 T ford tudor body with 2 frames, no doors. For a 55 Ford windshield and entire dash, clock, radio, full harness, etc.

Thanks for letting me vent... [​IMG]

2. A real friend wouldn't do anything to Fuck up a deal,or a friendship.

FUCK HIM. [​IMG] Being an Asshole is more important to him,and he's good at it.

T frames are not worth anything,a Tudor isn't super desirable,and decent doors are hard to find.

Check El Polacko's post for lost of old tin.

3. prime mover

prime mover

All the deals you come across I'm not suprised this happens, our ratio is probably about the same. I wish I could be like our buddy Tom, he trips over great deals because he's so cool about things. if somebody is being just a little pushy he'll tell them to move along. one day your gonna let it get to you and punch somebody in the face maybe I'll be there too and jump in. [​IMG]

4. This person you speak of is most likely not a REAL friend.
    Or he is MORE friends with the other guy.

5. gonowhere

gonowhere

Been there too. I hate that shit. I would rather hook someone up on a good deal,and make a friend that make a huge profit. I traded a RUNNING, DRIVEABLE 79 trans am to someone cause they wanted the 400 pontiac for a 364 nailhead. Sounds like a stupid trade on my part, but I had to unload the car fast, and I made a good friend out of the deal. Every time I see him now, he is throwing some parts my way for my 31 project. Gave me some buick drums, a grill shell and radiator, and a rear leaf. I guess my point is, if you are cool and fair to people, it will come back around. Fuck those fuckers who want to fuck up your deal.

6. Roadstar is right......this guy's not your friend. He just showed you that.
    I once showed my step brother a 57 Poncho Super Chief sitting on the back row of a chevy dealer's lot. I was planning on taking a check coming in the next days mail, to the bank and cruising over to the car lot and having the entire deal done by 10 A.M.
    I shared the entire plan with him, even telling him about the $50 asking price of the old Poncho...He told his beer-drinkin buddy and by the time I got there at 10 A.M. with the cash in hand, it was gone! The salesman gave the name of the buyer and It was my step-brother's buddy. Hot as hell, I searched him out and began giving him "the business"... He said he just got laid off, wife was pregnant and they needed any cheap,temporary transportation available until he could find a good 4X4 pickup and appologised profusly..said he'd make it up to me.....I walked away, still pissed off...
    Three months later, he searched me out and was driving the Pontiac...asked me if I still wanted it. By now, I was driving a clean 47 Caddy but I still wanted it and I asked him how much.......$10........... he said he felt bad about buying it out from under me...Best ten bucks I ever spent!
    My ex brother in law did the exact same thing to me over a 58 cameo pickup I found later on the same lot....only I never got it later...he loaned it to his drunk buddy who totaled it out....
    Lesson learned.........don't tell your buddys about pending good car/car parts deals. It may be too big a temptation for them..

7. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Like I always say....3 people can keep a secret as long as the other two are dead! Recently my uncle came upon a stash of cars and didn't tell me about it until he bought three 51 Merc 2 doors for only $1000. Yeah I was pissed, but then again he knows how much I like Mercs! I offered him that much for the worst of the 3 and he just smiled and said "no." Oh well.....maybe next time

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Man , I stole a pal out of under a deal a long time ago. I felt like a shitbag. It almost ended our relationship. I learned my lesson, I'll never do it again.

9. 2raticl

2raticl

Happened to me once. I was at a flea market and there was a nice '57 chevy hardtop for $1000.00. I told the guy I wanted it and would drive home and get the money(less than 2 miles). On the way out I pass a friend and told him what was going on. When I get back with the cash the guy said he had sold the car to someone else for $1100.00, the next day I visit my friend and there is the '57 in his garage. I lost a '57, he lost a good friend.

10. You use the word friend a little too loosely. A friend wouldn't do that. Some people have no fucking idea what the words honour and friendship mean.

11. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I will keep a deal under my hat till I get it or find out I cant then I will tell people about it.

12. Answer: jealousy. [​IMG]

If he was a friend, he would try to get you a BETTER deal for what you want....my buddies and me do it as much as we can for each other, especially when we don't have the cash at the time.

13. Me and my bro's pull the stroke and pony on the other guys selling cars, not on each other. he sounds like a pickle smooch, you dont need a bong poker for a friend! If I wasnt on a open board I would tell you how much I dislike being fucked. Aaahggh better.. [​IMG]