Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why we wear safety glasses.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Jan 21, 2008.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

This afternoon I was working in my shop, doing some fitting up aluminum. So I'd just installed a fresh sanding disc on my air sander and was ready to remove a little more material when I heard a boom and felt a jolt. My safety glasses went flying. For a moment I was confused. I went to retreive my glasses so I coud see what was going on. The frame of my glasses was in two pieces and one lense was still laying on the floor. These glasses are perscription plastic lenses with the heavy duty frame and have the side shields. Once I went into the house and got my street glasses I could see there was a gouge in the lense that was seperated and the frame was split to the right side of my nose. I have a couple of scratches on the side of my nose. Farther inspection revieled that the sanding disc backing plate has come apart and one side (almost 1/2 the backing plate) had flew out from under the sanding disc. The part that came off hit just off the center of the one lense with enough force to gouge the lense (enough to catch your finger nail on) and break the frame in 1/2.

I can vision how my eye may have faired if I would have had my glass lense street glasses on instead of the safety glasses. Its not a pretty thought.

Wear those safety glasses, the eyes you may save will be your own. Gene

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

that's why my normal prescription glasses are shatterproof/scratch resistant safetly lenses. i'm never without certified safety eyeware, and if you knew me you'd understand why that's a good thing :p

3. Scott

Scott

Always wear eye protection. Glad you weren't hurt.

4. sskustoms

sskustoms

Wow glad your ok .I have several pairs of safety glasses around the shop always take time to put them on.That could have been real ugly.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

The full face shields are the best. When I'm grinding I wear safety glasses and a shield. I've had my eye buffed. It's not as much fun as it sounds.

Don't think shit won't find its way around glasses...

6. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

2 dollar head, wear a 2 dollar helmet, same applies in the Safety glass department as well, I sell Industrial Saw Blades and see that EVERYDAY... Glad you are AOK....

7. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Amen to eye protection. My eyes are like friggin magnets. I have gotten many metal filings in my eyes over the years. And it sucks. Ever since I saw the ending of the movie "Fire In The Sky" I have been a wussy with my eyes. LOL

Glad you weren't "blinded for life".

DuckusCrapus

8. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

same thing happend to me 2 days ago, except it didnt hit my glasses it hit the top of my hoodie and my hoddie got pulled back real hard. coulda just imagined what it woulda been like right in the face!

9. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Man, glad your ok Gene. There was someone just done the road from you a few years ago that took one in the eye because he wasn't wearing safety glasses.

10. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I have been to the eye surgeon at least two time .Number 9 needle and scrape it out sanding stainless sucks seems to bounce around .

11. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Same here.

Let's not forget, most safety rules are written in blood.

12. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I got something in my eye last summer and had to make 2 trips to the Eye Dr. This happened becouse I took my Perscription glasses off (to see better) I now have several pairs of Safty glasses handy.

13. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

The only time I really feel safe from debris is when I have a face shield on and safety glasses. If I wear just one or the other and I swear to Jeebus I don't know how shit can fly around and hit me under the shield or glasses but it does somehow.

Of course when I wear both they fog up in .2 seconds, but I try and keep in the habit of wearing safety glasses at all times, then throw on the shield when I do something like grinding.

Reading about all y'all getting metal slivers drilled out of your eyes has left an impression on me. :)

14. cliff bryan

cliff bryan

I once knew a guy that was a master car builder...he had a small piece of metal chucked up in a lathe and was turning it down...he must have had the piece chucked to tight or was putting to much pressure on it....anyway a chip flew straight up slicing through his cheek and on through his eye...he was wearing safety glasses and ended up loosing his eye. for years I have worn a full face shield and safety glasses and also am very careful about how I work metal or wood...glad you did not have any eye damage.

15. deuceguy

deuceguy

"The full face shields are the best."
    I'm a believer in face shields too. Had a spring fly up and glance off the side of my face shield and went on to embed itself in the wall. Safety glasses alone wouldn't have stopped it from gouging out the side of my head. I never touch any power tool without putting on my face shield - period. I've been injured too many times and have had too many close calls.

16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann
    from Byron, IL

I seem to always get shit in my eye lashes and hair even with glasses. That way, they fall in my eye at 5 am. last night I fished a steel flake out of my eye. If those get stuck and rust, they have to drill all the rust stain out.

17. Doc.

Doc.
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gene, I'm glad you are Okay. You guys be safe out there. I can no longer count the number of foreign bodies I've removed from the eyes of people who should know better.

Doc.

18. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

I was just using a drill and wire brush to clean something with my goggles on the top of my head and not over my eyes, I felt a sharp stinging in my cheek maybe an inch below my eye and then pulled a wire out of my cheek that was longer than my cheek is deep! Didn't even realize my gogs weren't over my eyes till I removed the wire. A lucky lesson on carelessness.

19. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

The boss let me work nights while I went to college during the day. One night, I got an eyefull of shavings from grinding on a fender. Couldn't see a damn thing and no-one was around to help. Ended up using a magnetic screwdriver and my toolbox mirror to dig out most of the shavings then drove my ignorant self to the hospital. Nearly as painful as both divorces. Glad that you are o.k., always wear safety glasses and never get married.

Stuff your eyes with wonder. Live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made up or paid for in factories.

20. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

These kind of post are invaluable to warn guys just starting out as well as those of us (including me) who should know better but need reminding from time to time.

21. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

i have had plenty of close calls myself.... seems the older i get the safer I want to be!

22. About 7 yrs ago I was punching louvers with a press brake at work. The tool miss aligned and shot a sharde 1 1/2" long the size of a needle all the way through my eye. 5 hours of surgery to remove
    it, had to laser burn my retina to get it out. I am blessed that I have good vision it that eye only small blurry spot where laser burn is. I use saftey glasses all the time now Gary

23. It is always very entertaining to watch those motorcycle and car build shows on the Discovery channel and such. They show them well know builders, grinding and fabricating metal with those very stylish, fancy sunglass style eye protection. The sparks are a flying at all times while the video cameras are filming. If it was me being there, I would be flying to the ER, or the eye doctor! I believe in using my glasses, goggles, then a new (none scuffed up) face shield at all time with metal debris flying about.

24. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Iv had to get metal shards dremeled out of my eye twice within the same month. The second time i was wearing saftey glasses. I went to a full face sheild and never looked back (no pun intended) . Its one thing to go deaf over the years but loosing sight is no joke

25. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Good to see this come up. I don't like having that little dremel tool in there to clean the rust out of my eyeball. I keep a very strong polished and clean magnet to pull ferrous off my eyeball, then go to the doc.

Please wear your EAR PROTECTION too.
    And keep a fire extinguisher handy.

26. Tony

Tony

Damn, glad your ok..
    I have a new respect for eye safety myself..
    I ALWAYS wore safety glasses when grinding, and was about two week's ago when a speck of metal went under them and into my left eye. I flushed it and *thought* it came out so i went back to work.

It didn't..within two day's i had EXTREME eye pain, redness, light sensitivity etc...and the anxiety of thinking i might have lost some sight in that eye, my vision was very bad out of that eye when normally it's great, i wear no prescription glasses...
    I made the trip to the eye doctor so he could dig it out (yes, dig with a metal pick similar to what they use on your teeth when you go for a cleaning)....
    Needless to say, i took a couple day's off working on the truck, and picked up a really nice pair of goggles instead of the glasses......
    A face shield is also now hanging on the wall and get's used too..

I've been a mechanic for 19 year's, and have never had a scare like that with my eye's before...the vision loss was what got me more than anything, and this wasn't anything as serious as what other's wrote..

ALWAYS wear eye safety...it seem's trivial to some.."ahh, nothing's gonna happen"..it WILL, and when it does, man you'll wish you did.

Tony

27. Rusty

Rusty

Yeap, I was grinding with a disc a couple days ago wearing safety glasses. Metal found it s way aroung and landed me in a Opthamologist office gettimg metal romoved from it. I am tryimg my best to use the shield amd the glasses at the same time. You only got two eyes and for the most part major damage cannot be repaired

Rusty

28. Dad was grinding in the basement one rainy night (years ago) without eye protection and got a shard in his eye, so he got himself in the car and started driving to the hospital (now, I love my dad, but he is very stubborn and self-sufficient, unlike anyone else in our family:rolleyes:).
    Trouble is, he's near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other- guess which eye the shard was in? Without the use of his far-sighted eye, everything was a fuzzy blur until he was right on top of it and almost went off the road a couple of times. That was the event that finally convinced him to get glasses, but HE STILL WON'T WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!

29. Scott

Scott

Was grinding underneath the car yesterday WITH a face shield. A "curveball" still managed to get past the shield and my prescription glasses:eek:

30. Friend of mine lost an eye to a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Wasn't wearing eye protection. I try to wear it every time, but you know how it goes. I just need to hit that burr with a grinder, so I don't put the mask on for a 2 second job. We all do it sometimes, it caught my friend. Pat.