Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why there are no parts around.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dolmetsch, May 14, 2010.

1. Larry T

Larry T

Mine are in the classifieds and no interest.
    Larry T

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well times are tight..i know its hard to wait and wait..
    things just aint selling like they were.

guess some guys are asking themselfs if the sandwich is more important then a used basket carb..man i dont know.

i got shit i wish i could sell for what its worth, but i know that hasent happened either

just have to wait for that person to come along..i guess.

3. F&J

F&J

I believe you...

it's a shame the stuff is never near a guy who needs it.

I just read on hamb classifieds TODAY about a guy in FLA with a nice stock 36 ford frame, suspension, axles ,steering box with column, wheel and horn button, AND EVEN THE KEY....he has BTT several times starting a 550 then 400 then tried to piece it out... He said he is scrapping it on Monday....he needs rooom right now

Jeez the last two epay auctions for 35/6 rear bones were 310/330 a pair! plus around 300 for the 35/6 axle bells for quickchange swap.

I guess there are no builders in FLA ??

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ebay is seasonal . Scrapping old car parts is a crime .I have dollar auctions just so the stuff wont get trashed ,,,, I dont go and sell carparts though /Only internet and ebay

5. the local and state reg. in wa. state are now closing the loopholes on vehicles being stored as they now fall under the heading "solid waste" and that means they have to be inside of a building! with that knowledge in hand scrapping 100 vehicles last month was just a bit easier. took them 28 years to catch up to me but they finally did. thank god the iron prices were up or the theropy bill from "anxiaty seperation" would have gone unpaid! sure sounds stupid huh?

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

We go to Hawaii on vacation every year on what most people consider junk.

7. If those are 15" 4-1/2" BP, I want them, if you still have them. Never saw your HAMB ad on these, BTW.

8. kdtjb

kdtjb
    from Idaho

A few months ago I decided to get rid of stuff I wasn't going to get around to using in this life time. I also decided to get over my lack of of desire to box things up and ship them, So I started to put stuff on ebay. I have shipped stuff world wide now, and my pay pal account has over 20,000.00 dollars in it. So you guys that want 108 bucks for scrap, go for it. I prefer to laugh all the way to the bank, and help out some guys that need to finish there projects.

9. I Drag

I Drag

Vending at a swap meet would cost me at least $100 before I make dollar one. Sorry, I now use ebay.

On the other hand, I have given away more parts than I can remember to friends, friends of friends, and just plain strangers.

Oh, yes, I also like to physically swap parts I don't need, for other parts I don't need. It kind of freshens up the pile.

10. Why would you let those thieves hold $20k of your money? They can (and do at times) lock you down for almost no reason.

11. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Seems to me these items would have been a nice little addition to the pay it forward thread instead of the scrap pile, try to help out the people on the hamb, not the scrap guy.......

12. I was given a pile of parts by a guy that had no use for them. He street rodded his car and offered me the original stuff. Engine, trans, rear end and misc trim. It was a great way for me to get into the hobby. And as a 'thank you' I got him two year subscription to Rodder's Journal.

Too bad you guys with so many extra parts laying around can't help out in a similar way. Or at least sell them to somebody who may not have the bucks or may be new at a cut price. I know some guys have stacks and stacks of parts but just taking it to the scrapper seems kind of a waste. There's more than swap meets to sell those parts and maybe you make a friend by letting it go cheap.

I never knew that rodding was all about making a profit.

13. Dyce

Dyce

Just keep hualing the junk to the scrapyard. It's just going to make my stuff worth more in the future:)

14. titus

titus

Yeah, id rather give a part away than scrap it, A buddy of mine passed away a few months ago and me and a buddy have been help the widow get rid of some of his stuff, we got down to the nitty gritty and had a scrap pile and a what to do with pile, the local free swap meet was coming up so i said ill bring it all out there to sell, i just put a very very fair price on everthing i wanted to get rid of, i sold it all, actually it added up pretty good, but the prices on everything were a steal, and more than we would have gotten at the scrap yard, and some one put the stuff to use.

JEFF

15. Dyce

Dyce

That's a good way to honor your freinds memory too!!

16. Not planning on building anymore amc cars, I decided it was time to get rid of 15 years accumulation of parts. So I put it out in the club news letters etc. Sold some of the best stuff, but still have way too much left. Started selling stuff on ebay, same thing, sold some but lots of work. I can't scrap the stuff, they don't make amc's anymore....So lately, I have been going out with a priority mail box, fill it, come back in the house and dump it on the floor, take a picture, then list it on ebay for $.99 which is free...I add $3.00 to the handling to cover the ebay and paypal fees. At least it goes to some use. Sometimes I get lucky and the stuff gets more than one bid...

17. here we go again - I'm again with RustyNewYorker...and hea - I'm from the south...been in the salvage bus for years...guess my Uncle summed it up best...yea I had stacks of nice '32 fenders by the shop from the highboy's of the day - 50's - along with the T lakester we ran at Bville - all went to the scap about 1958 when we closed that shop on 57th...at least the SCTA - 183.13mph plate is still around....from the T....

18. If it's not bringing $10 on eBay it's not worth the trouble to put on there. I put stuff on here and for the most part crickets chirp. Carbs, generators, pedal mounts, steering columns, at various times I have damned near enough parts to build two or three complete cars. Plus the cars themselves, that get researched, some get priced fairly, some get priced high because everyone wants to offer you half the asking price, but crickets chirp for them as well. Unless you doll them up to fool the guys who want a cherry restored car for a parts car price.

What it boils down for to me is I like old cars, but I also like profit, and I see no reason to take less for something at a swap just because it's a swap and not eBay. Your discount is no shipping and no sales tax (I include it in the price), plus you get it right then and there and no worries about USPS/UPS losing or destroying it. And I'm going to put the things that will sell, where they will bring the most money.

But you get these cheap bastards who think it's still 1965 and want to pay you $5 for something because it's missing this bracket, or they only need this little part off it - too bad, you don't go into Wal-mart and buy one sleeve off a shirt.

Now if I carry the same thing to the same places three years running, and it's not worth listing on eBay, then who's going to miss it if I scrap it? At least with the scrap guy I don't have to listen to any bitching about this missing or that broken - and he'll buy in bulk at that. Scrap is so in demand here one place will pay you $35 a ton for a load of steel wheels with the tires on - that ain't a lot, but usually you have to pay $3 a shot to get rid of the tires, or stuff a couple extra in a scrap car and hope they don't bitch.

It's the same thing at a junkyard. You as one guy buying one or two cars will pay more. The scrap guy comes in and gives you $X a ton for everything and when you get $100,000 for little to no effort you couldn't give a damn about the guy who wants to buy one or two cars for double scrap.

I'm also tired of profit being a dirty word. Ford and GM and everyone else didn't make this stuff for their health, they made a profit from it or they stopped building it. The more profit I make, the more I can do with that money - be it put it into my own car, put it towards some of the bills, or go save some other car from being scrapped. When we were going good in the one yard, every single car I sold I went back and bought as many more as I could afford.

19. "If it's FREE, why are you charging me $40 for shipping?"

"Yeah, I'll come pick it up at your house, HOLD ON to it for me.... No, 600 miles is no problem."

"I know I said I'd take it off your hands, but now that I look at it, I don't think it's gonna work... Thanks for driving across town to show it to me, though."

"I've been very patient, PLEASE send payment for item#XXXXXXXX IMMEDIATELY."

Life has enough headaches...and scrap guys hardly ever complain.

20. May Street Relics

May Street Relics

May be going to a swap meet and putting ebay prices on things you should be home selling it on ebay

21. Algon

Algon

I agree it is a shame to throw away anything that could possibly saved and I frequently give away stuff. If it was free/cheap to me and I did not use it the first interested party often gets it the same way.

There are and will be guys who think their five dollar item they know nothing about is worth it's weight in gold for as long as there are guys who like to offer $50 for an $800 item. People like a deal, and enjoy the haggling or hustling on something they are just going to flip for cash. Parts can't be too high or too cheap either. Welcome to the swapmeet.:rolleyes: People will offer 50 cents for a perfectly good $20 item marked at a dollar but put it at $10 and one of two things will happen... A guy hands you a ten without a word and walks off with it or another cuts you to five which is still four more than you wanted for it and five more than the guy who turned it down for free after asking for your best price.

For me it is about respect, plain and simple. If you can't be reasonable, make offer on the listed price or based on actual value you're either a crook or you simply don't care enough about it to pay for it so you don't deserve to own it. Go buy another video game or some reproduction fake speedshop crap. Bucks down I know all about but you sob story cheap mothers that think stuff should be given to you I'll never understand.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  22. I've had a pair of 60 Dodge stationwagon taillights I impulse bought off e-bay a couple years ago at at least 4 different swap meets, priced very reasonably & not even 1 serious sniff at 'em. A few nights ago I finally got around to shooting some decent pics of 'em, came inside & put them up on the good old HAMB classifieds. 1 day later the paypal account has a little $$ in it & the taillights are on their way to their new owner in TX.
    Same part, same price, the difference? - finding the right audience for what your trying to sell.
    Just my $.02
    : )

23. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

if it wasn't for the internet I'd have junked more.
    something like the perfect 67 389 timing cover I was going to throw in the aluminum pile because it had the older inferior coolant flow and I was using the newer. A fella restoring a gto needed it gave $60 for it. I'd have never found him.
    I looked and several of the junkyards I used to troll are empty fields this last few years. I mentioned there arn't any good old cars hardly that aren't at someone's house. Then I got to remembering...I never could find anything epic at a junkyard anyway...all mediocre stuff. still good stuff but...
    I think the individual owner is now the last port for these old girls. the internet has produced liquidity and created a market that didn't exist for stuff most everyone though no-one wanted anymore.
    There have been a lot of cars I just never would have touched over parts availability.
    I bought my first 73 firebird because I thought it was a bellybutton car and would be easy to restore....maybe 20 years ago.
    The sad realization is that for many of these cars the internet is a last hurrah, slowing but not preventing their demise.
    There is a hopeful spark that for some of these cars like the 32 ford, will carry on forever or at least till the end of time.
    I can't imagine a world without a dreamer and a project, and imagine want to be there.

My fear is to lose those rights along with anything else that makes life worth living.
    It's not enough, just to be here, even with the people we love.
    There must be more, we can't be pinned down in one place. Under the yoke.
    That, my friends will never prosper here
    looking at it all the way through faith tells me there will always be something just over the horizon

24. Funny group here.
    They don't want you to scrap it.
    They won't buy it.
    They want you to store it.
    They prolly want you to clean and chase threads, paint and or polish it, then want you to give it to them.
    But they would feel better about getting it free if you delivered/shipped for free too.
    Same group will almost always go out of their way to tell you the free part they got from you didn't work.

I had what appeared to be a good falcon gas tank. Friend of a friend mentioned that this guy was looking for one. I called the guy and told him I had one he could have for free, just come and get it. I get some sob story about not enough time, working big hours...blah blah. So.. I jump in my rig, and drive the fifty miles ONE WAY to deliver the tank. About three weeks later he sees me at meet talking with my buddies, and goes out of his way to tell me the rubber on the filler neck had a slight crack in it, and he had to buy about 2" of new hose.
    So I say "You came all the way over here to tell me you had to replace 2" of hose on a tank you got for free? And got it delivered for free too?"
    I could see in his face that he just figured it out.
    But too late. I pulled a twenty out of my pocket and shoved it in his shirt pocket, and told him I was sorry I'd put him through so much trouble and that ought to cover the cost of the hose he had to buy for his free tank.
    It's not even a contest between that type of asshole, or the swap meet pickers and the scrapper. Scrapper is WAY easier to deal with.

25. Nobody said or suggested it was cool. It pains me to trash good stuff but after moving it back and forth for three years to swap meets and tripping over it for another 3 I dont know what to do. I didnt think i was cool, just frustrating. Actually it tiks me off a bit that I cant sell good stuff even at rock botom prices. Tis true some can sell some cant. Me I couldnt sell a fire hose at a barn fire. My brother could ship ice cubes mail order to Alaska. Whatever the trick is I dont have it.
    Don

26. Why would you let those thieves hold $20k of your money? They can (and do at times) lock you down for almost no reason.

I lost $212 buying a ultrasonic cleaner. Ebay held the funds, seller backed out and I never got my dough back before my right to appeal expired even though i was on the from the git go. I saved all the Emails in case anyone doubted that it happened.. Apparently they do that to protect me. Somehow I dont feel protected so i quit that too. I didnt blame him BTW . They were holding the funds till i recieved the goods and said ok. I wouldnt have sent anything under those circumstances either. OH I know. Your A POWER SELLER so your dough doesnt get held. Goody for you!
    Don.

27. Guess I'm a dying breed. I go out looking to buy cars just to part out. Not only do i like the money I make but I plain enjoy doing it! Combing junkyards,fields,body shops,back alleys and impound lots is what I do for fun. Damn all of the naysayers.Just bought a 65 Plymouth Fury yesterday as a matter of fact. 4 door but very good condition.I will agree that some guys are absurd....to be offered a free part and then bitch about the price of shipping and condition boggles my mind! At the swaps they get to hold the part in their hands and with no shipping still expect the fucking part to be free.The swap meet is my vacation but the cheap fucks piss me off....

28. kdtjb

kdtjb
    from Idaho

I also go to swap meets, And on my table there are a few things marked FREE. Guys come up and say really, and presto it's gone. P.S. I did transfer my funds right along. Pay pal pays .09% bank pays a wopping 1.9%

29. before I throw stuff away I give it away. it's old parts and somebody can use it. AND they're not making anymore so when it's all gone you'll have yourself to thank.

30. Times must be tough if you can't afford to hose those off for the photo.

Sales and Marketing 101.

I don't put a lot of effort into the stuff I bring to swap meets, but I do make sure most things are basically clean(ish) and priced. I like buying dirty stuff at one swap, hosing it down and selling it for a profit at the next just cuz it looks shiney again.

I also work my booth, I stand and chat, and I sell. It drives me nuts to see guys sitting in their booth, drinking, back to the crowd, not giving a shit. They bitch about tire-kickers, I make money.