Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Why roadsters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love roadsters as they help with my styling.

Chris 20170601_181822.jpg

2. Squablow

Squablow

I love the look of my T when it's empty, but seeing pics of me driving it, I look like a linebacker trying to ride a pedal car. I've made a lot of tweaks to maximize the space inside, which helps, but still. I think I'd like it better if it were bigger. Next one is going to be a coupe with fenders.

chromepipesbentaxle.jpg

3. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one of each for Connecticut's weather. 20231004_113812.jpg

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    vtx1800, winduptoy, hfh and 9 others like this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why roadsters???
    The HAMB really needs to ask "why roadsters?" :rolleyes:

Actually, you asked about four separate leading/provocative questions that have about eight answers each.

Note:
    A roadster is not a two-seat car with no top or weather protection.
    A roadster is a two-seat car with a soft fold-down top...
    with no door glass.
    Side curtains provide more weather protection.

Roadsters started it all.
    You go back far enough, there was nothing but roadsters on the road. And phaetons. And nothing at the racetrack except roadsters.

Weight wasn't the whole reason. Roadsters push less wind.

My best answer...
    1911+Marmon+Team+Indy.jpg

6. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Luv mine… with and without top…. run the top during hot summer days, topless all other times and I dont drive in the rain…thats what my F250 is for IMG_5032.jpeg IMG_5026.jpeg

V8-m, lothiandon1940, vtx1800 and 3 others like this.
  7. The roadster is the quintessential socal hot rod, but most of the world does not have socal weather, and most hot rodders wanting to drive a lot find other body styles better, more practical. As a norcal rodder, my only roadster was a dedicated racer that I started to convert to street use, but ultimately switched the body to a closed cab pu to make a driver.

I have a 29 cabriolet that is much more comfortable than a roadster, but at nearly 80 years, my 51 coupe is my preferred driver. A roadster is only best for a limited few.

8. My personal preference in a hot rod is a coupe. So any opinion as to what makes the best hot rod or what is a true hot rod is going to be biased.

My dad was a roadster man so I have experienced roadsters. They look good enough, and early on (teens through the 20s) I think they were better looking cars than the early coupes. I still prefer a coupe personally.

I will make an exception, I like later 20s earlier '30s tubs, but I prefer them with a top. They are not officially a roadster but they are a drop top.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think coupes are neat, too.

sidevalve8ba and 41 coupe like this.
  10. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I'm not saying Roadsters are the best... but they're up there with the best. I've always dug the look of a Deuce Roadster, set up "right", and always wanted one.
    I've recently added a '32 Roadster to my stable and it is so freakin' cool to flip the light on and see that thing sitting there. Driving it reminds me of the ol' motorcycle days in a way... it's like the best of both worlds. It's just plain fun!
    If I need shelter, I've got the coupe, if I need to haul parts I've got the truck, if I want to blast around open air, now I've got the Roadster... life is good!

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why roadsters? Why blondes? Duh

12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cabby resized top down driver side.jpg IMG-20230726-WA0011.jpeg Best if both worlds and eight cylinders between the two of them....

13. lilCowboy

lilCowboy

beautiful T roadster !
    your comment reminds me of the time i built a very cool lil sportster 60's bobber style, i loved the way it looked, Then shortly after getting it on the road my uncles then wife saw me riding it and later commented i looked like a gorilla riding it :( (im only 5'8" I hadn't ever thought about that until she mentioned it haha .

Squablow likes this.
  14. Nothing like running down the road in an open wheel roadster.

15. topher5150

topher5150

Yeah they look cool, but there's no way I'd fit in one comfortably or safely.
    09a8cb1a499380467458c3b5d7facb27.jpg

Squablow and RodStRace like this.
  16. RodStRace

RodStRace

I've wanted a T bucket since I was a young'un. I was over 6 feet (182 cm to the rest of the world) by 15.
    The most recent test fit was the first time I even fit. It wasn't pretty, but still want. Eyes were above the tall windscreen. Gorilla indeed. Thanks for the other shots of you big guys in early cars. I'm not alone.

Ignore the frame and body photoshop, it had questionable paint.
    brownside.jpg

PS @winduptoy , you can't slip a cabrio past us here on the HAMB!;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    winduptoy likes this.
  17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Roadsters? Cabbies? Coupes? Tubs? Sedans? Discovered I like the top down, as long as it isn't below ~65*F, raining/snowing/sleeting/hailing/wife-isn't-with. 65* may seem pussy, but after ~1hr+at 70mph, it gets old. (& on the ot dd, below 65*F top usage will eventually destroy the hyd system joints/seals = fkn expensive to fix) & I'm not wearing a jacket w/the top down to prove something-or-another. Done that stupid s__t years ago. For misery & suffering, I can - & have - ridden the ot ZX-11D in sub-zero weather w/ice on the road(= unexpected "excitement") Rain so heavy I couldn't 50' in front of me, etc. All as a "dd"(well, primary daily-rider, by choice, late May->late Nov) No *need* to that any of that stupid shit anymore, either. I'm talking daily drivers here, not just fun-running. Coupes n sedans are nice except in nice weather, unless you can roll the top back. Still doesn't beat top-down, but beats closed-top. You may like it different... :D . Blondes vs redheads vs dark-haired, big boobs vs small boobs, shapely hourglass-figures vs orca-betties, nice personalities vs bitchiness, being able to cook vs not; all make the world go 'round.
    :D .
    Looks are subjective, & proportion(s) are harder to achieve. May not be able to create or get them, but I know when they are right.
    & as RSR demonstrated, the stuff *I* like - & I suppose most on here - were built for/&-to a different standard, as the people back then were literally shorter & thinner than they are today. Think that's hyperbola?; look at military uniforms(or even regular clothes) from ~'16, then @ ~'44, & now. Weren't just kids... Results of both nutrition & lack of it(while it fits here, I'm not wading into that morass).
    So, cabbies for me, if possible. :D . The exact form of which I don't have... ;( .
    Over the years I've destroyed more than a few 65-n-older cars as dd's, due to MN salt n weather. It's a lotta work, effort, & $$$ to waste doing that. Takes the fun right out of it. So, ot as dd it is.
    So we do what we can, w/what we have, while we are able.
    Keeping the Hope Alive. Maybe, someday... :D .
    Marcus...

RodStRace likes this.
  18. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

Arguably the epitome of what a ‘hot rod’ is, but also they are great for rippin around and takin in the sights and sounds around you.

IMG_6426.png

Sorry for reposting an old pic, but….

19. SwampLedge

SwampLedge

I can’t help but wonder how many roadster lovers are/were motorcyclists, and, conversely, how many coupe/hard roof fans were not. Although I no longer ride, I still view hard-roofed vehicles as cages.

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

1st motorcycle at 9, current one sitting in the garage for years.

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Count me in.
    Insert moderator-banned photo of a Shadow here _______________

22. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Similar tastes:
    IMG_2359.JPG

lothiandon1940, X-cpe, hfh and 2 others like this.
  23. pkhammer

pkhammer

I was fortunate to pick up two Model A's recently, a '28 Roadster and a '31 Sedan. I was thinking that the sedan was going to be a keeper and I might let the Roadster go to a new home. However, I've been reading a build thread on a highboy banger powered Roadster and it really has me thinking about the possibilities. 20240308_100531[1].jpg 20240315_093835[1].jpg

Squablow and Jacksmith like this.
  24. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_3161.jpeg
    But coupes are better !

25. mnjeff

mnjeff

The ‘26 is almost ready for sea trials….. IMG_3343.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    X-cpe, winduptoy, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just not a convertible guy. After selling my 48 Buick convertible, I doubt I will ever own another one. If I lived somewhere else, maybe. Around here it is either too hot, too cold or too wet too much of the time, plus I don't like the wind noise, especially with me wearing hearing aids.

27. One of my first cars was a 56 Olds rag top. Living in central Oregon I grew to hate it! I drove a buddy's T-bucket from Nebraska to Back to the 50s show. The top was up but my son and I froze our asses off. On the way back we ran into a thunder storm but luckily found an overpass to hide under. The kid got an ear infection.....
    I like coupes.

lothiandon1940 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  28. Rain sometimes interferes with the joy of roadster driving.
    IMG_0647.JPG

29. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Why A Roadster ?
    Because going topless is so much fun especially if its your daily driver this day it was Pomona California.
    Ronnieroadster

Attached Files:

WC145 likes this.
  30. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I just watched a video on YouTube about where hotroding came from and at some point it explains how it all started in California and California had plenty of roadsters because of the weather. The roadster was preferable because it was lighter and plentiful. I don’t know it made sense to me.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    Ned Ludd likes this.