Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why no reproduction multi bolt pattern early Ford hubs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racrdad, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Racrdad

Racrdad

Other than the multi pattern hubs that only work with the Buick brakes why does no one reproduce an early Ford hub with multi bolt patterns?
    I know redrilling is an option for most but I would have preferred just buying some new ones. Seemed senseless to buy new ones and just have them redrilled. Wheel choice is so much greater with the smaller patterns it would seem someone would be making these. Or am I just missing who does make them???

2. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I think that the issue is with the close proximity of a narrow 4 1/2" bolt circle to the roller bearing design of the rear hub and there is not enough material. The front hubs can be drilled and are available repro.

3. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

tool up and make them yourself. the need for special parts is what has driven the aftermarket parts industry for years. look at wilson welding, he is a small company who has done well in the repro. brake market.

when i see a need for something different, i make it. yes it is hard at times, but what isn't?

-danny

4. alchemy

alchemy

There are a bazillion '40 style hubs out there available cheap. Way cheaper to do the drilling on an original than to buy new.

The '48 style hubs are rarer and more expensive, but that is because of the Buick drum guys. And you could buy new in that case for close to the price of the old hub plus the redrilling costs.

Why would you prefer to just buy new? Is cost not important?

5. drill the drums

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 40-41 Ford Passenger Car and Pickup front hubs are commonly available and can be redrilled easily for the smaller 4.5-5 and 4.75-5 bolt patterns.
    The 42-48 Ford Passenger car and 42-47 Pickup hubs are also commonly available, easily redrilled to 4.75-5 and 4.5-5 patterns and are even more plentiful than the early 2-year production ones. BUT turning the hub barrel down for a smaller wheel center hole can be iffy in regards to safety though. I've seen hubs pop apart as they were being turned or removed from the lathe because the material was too thin.

7. hemifarris

hemifarris

I bought new, undrilled, hubs from So-Cal Speed shop/Arizona and had them drilled for my bolt pattern. Nice guys to deal with...................Mike

8. Racrdad

Racrdad

Cost is important but so is my time. Time is money. Also, I dont have a machine shop close that I would feel is really competent on this type of stuff. My last visit there they were appalled I wanted to put new rod bolts in sbc rods. They said they never replace rod bolts when doing a rebuild. :eek:

Buy the time you buy used hubs, have them machined and redrilled, put in new races and bearings you you probably will be about right at the price of new ones not to mention all your time.

9. Racrdad

Racrdad

Are these not some of those hubs supposedly only for Buick brakes?

10. hemifarris

hemifarris

No, They're Ford hubs and Ford drums...

Attached Files:

11. Koz

Koz

Ford hubs, particularly with the stub axles, just look right with 5 1/2" bolt pattern. I've seen some redrilled and they just don't have the "look". OK if your running hubcaps.

12. Talking about front hubs?

Would you be able to use the new hubs that come in 4 1/2" & 4 3/4" bolt patterns that are part of the disc brake kits?

I think they take the same bearings as the drum brake Fords.
    A spacer is used, but perhaps not necessary with drum brakes.

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It would be good for somebody to manufacture a few thousand. Then after they went broke because nobody bought any, fifty years from now the swap meets would have them. Cheap. Cheaper than getting old ones re-drilled.:cool:

14. Wilson Welding has new hubs and Bob will put whatever patterns you want in them> I have a couple sets.

Charlie