Register now to get rid of these ads!

why must we put the same make motor in samemake body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jun 14, 2010.

1. I use chevys in all my cars because every car needs a heartbeat. hahaha. Pat.

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I stand corrected.

3. S.F.

S.F.

dont know what they are complaining about, people been doin it since 1940

4. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

There are a handful of guys who have to voice their opinion about what you should do with your car, what color, what motor, what interior. F em. It's your ride and if you don't ask for their opinion ignore it. That being said, don't put a ford motor in a chevy and don't ever change out a hemi! I like traditional style, however, I'm not a true traditionalist. Build it how u want it.

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Makes perfect sense. After all, a GMC is just a Chevy with lock washers.:D

6. teddyp

teddyp

you work for ford too long there a great big world of cars out there wake up and enjoy them they all make great cars and motors this thread shows that people like what they like maybe you should try a chevy or mopar and you will see that they all have good motors relax enjoy stop the car saleman shit just my 2 cent but most of all have fun:)

7. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Ferd in a chevy truck . . . this one raised a few eyebrows at a local show

[​IMG]

8. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I have a 55 Plymouth that I was thinking about putting a plymouth or Dodge engine in it, but I have a 350/350 chevy combo, and so I decided to put it in it. I thought I'd get a lot of grief from the guys on here, but only a couple guys seemed like they thought I should stay all mopar. I say to each his own.

9. Satinblack

Satinblack

You dont have to, to each his or her own. I personally prefer to have the same make in my cars. If its a chevy then a sbc or bbc goes in it and so forth.

I think the tired of a chevy in everything is a vaid point, but i dont knock a guy having a sbc in a chevy, thats how it should be. Nor can anyone argue that its easier to get parts for a sbc then anything else, it only ended up that way because they have been around so long unchanged, thats not chevy's fault. If say the ford Y block was the same unchanged for that many years then we be all putting those in instead

10. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Yeah- I'm sick of seeing small block Chevys in everything from Deuce roadsters to industrial salad blenders, but even being a Ford guy, I can't deny how cool a Nailhead or early Hemi looks between the rails of a Model A, Deuce, or what have you. Sure, I'd rather see a Flattie, or a Y-block, hell- even an FE or a small-block Ford, but I really don't give a fiddler's fart WHAT make of engine you run in whatever make/model car you have. Your name's on the title- put whatever mill you want in the thing!:cool:

11. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Some people say that "putting a sbc into a hot rod means you're being cheap". Uh, think for a second; isn't that the root of hot rodding? Putting together a rod with whatever you can AFFORD. Where does it say that you have to spend as much money as possible? Is that a rule? Fact: the sbc represents the best bang for your buck. That's why you see so many put into hot rods. That's what rodding is all about!

OK, i'm off my soapbox now. LoL. :)

12. i guess you dont have to . I can only tell you what bothers me and why. I am a mopar guy. I live in Camaro central it seems. Everybody I know almost is a chevy guy so everysingle thing they build has a 350 chev. Even when they find one of my favouorite brands they pop a chevy in it. Does it bother me? Yes. I have gone out of my way on more than one occasion to steer a chevy guy back to putting a chev 6 in a 34 chev sedan rather than a slant 6. And I have encourage a friend to put a ford six in his t bucket rather than a SBC . So I guess when a fellow has a 41 plymouth coupe i sort of think it would be nice to install a mopar engine in it. It rarely happens. I hear all the excuses but know from expereriencethat some of the mopar coupes will take a red ram almost bolt in. Both use water pump mount and same belhousing and flywheel . That does tick me off. Maybe it shouldnt I certainly agree that each of us has the right to make his own choices , However having said all that I sometimes feel like buying a 67 camaro and putting one of my Old Relaibale 440 motors in it. Just out of spite. or if I was better healed $ wise a 67 Corvette Stingray and pop in a 426 hemi.
    I know beyond a shadow of a doubt my chevy friends would go nuts and be very angry so why cant they understand how I and others like me feel when they pop one of those little russian designed small blocks(Chev small block V8)in one of my favourite mopars. Dont know any other way to put it. There are lots of orphan makes that we can put whatever we want in . Why desicrate a Chev or Ford or Mopar with the competitons make engine. It just aint right or respectful. I would not ever even for myself put a mopar in a chev and I had hoped they would think the same.
    Don

13. Swifster

Swifster

First off, a '32 Ford looks good no matter what's under the hood. Some cars are just that way. But there is a reason a SBC is known as a belly-button motor. Keeping a Studebaker engine in my Studebaker IS different.

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

FYI, 7-11 is running a sale through the weekend on sbc overhaul kits. They're right next to the donuts.

15. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

Funny how the early day hotrodders werent worried about beeing traditinol,it was all about modernizing there cars,running later style parts and motors. if these guys had a chance to buy a sbc crate motor they would have

16. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

That only applies to the vintage car club members of this hot rod forum. :D:D

17. Reasons to SBC-it
    Cheap
    Plentiful
    Powerful
    Interchangable
    Light Weight

Reasons not to:
    It's too common.

I've been looking at possibly building an early Hemi....but for what it costs just to rebuild one to modest specs you could have an entire running SBC. So if you're on a budget some of these 'rarer' motors are just not the way to go.

18. jboss1965

jboss1965

Back when hot rodding started people swapped out engines to get more power mainly right? You put in bigger or better as the engines got better. Now the aftermarket has done such a great job you can make anyhing run! I'm a Ford guy, I respect all makes, but prefer Fords. For years you couldn't really get decent cyl head for small blk...now.... wow...what a difference! So many are now aware of this, and frankly its easier to keep the car mostly one make. That's make take on it.
    : )

19. You say this like everyone who's in the "I've got a matched brand build" club has some inside information.

20. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

I used a 400/400 Pontiac setup in my 46 Ford pickup, because my buddy had the engine and tranny, we knew them to be good, and it didn't cost me hardly anything to get them. I am using a 5.7 Buick engine from a wrecked 1993 Roadmaster in the 36 Plymouth I bought last month, again, because I know it to be a good low mileage engine, and I already have it, a transmission, and a rear end, all which I got at a good price. I am pretty much limited financially to what I am able to obtain fairly cheap from time to time, such as it might become available, (as long as I know it's good), and I don't have the luxury of being overly particular. That said, IF I did have the money, I could sure come up with some ideas!!

21. slammed49

slammed49

Isnt the SBC one of the best looking engines out there? very symetrical and "even" to me...not to mention simple to mount most anywhere and will run fine with 2 qts of oil,try that with a FMC

22. teddyp

teddyp

i,m glad to see this is still up and there are a lot of driffrent ideals and only afew it must be this or that i,m frist to tell anyone that i love sbc,s great motors but i also love y-block fords they have a sound all by them self i don,t like hemi,s but 340 mopar,s and 440, 413 great i have buddy,s that are big mopar fan,s and i learn alot from them and other,s that have blue oval ford running in them but we never try to tell the other guy that one make is better then the other or i only use this cause it,s cheap we know thier all great when they are running and junk when the are not hot rodding is take a body you like and a motor and have fun with it just my 2 cents

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Put what you want in but I dont want to hear any bitching when I put a Ford motor in a Chevy,I got a extra 460 in a very rusty 77 F150 beater and when I am done with the truck the drivetrain will be going into something else which could be a chevy if I find one I like.

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

A guy over here has a '51 Chevy with a 351 Windsor in it. He told me the Chevy guys grumble, but he works at a Ford dealership and gets good prices on parts. The car is beautiful.

25. choptvan

choptvan

I know a kat that stuffed a 302 with twin turbos into a 51 chevy. Pretty cool. THe way people would just shake their head and walk away when they realized what it was... that was priceless.

26. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Speed kills drive a chevy live for ever. lol

27. fbama73

fbama73

I'll probably go with a bigger 6 in my '51. But, if I go V8, it will NOT be a SBC.

Not that they aren't good engines- everyone knows they are. I've built them, I like them. But.... YAWN!

28. George T G

George T G

I would like to change my Model A over to an early Polly 318 Mopar with 2 4's but first I have to find a deal on one and then the 283 has to take a stroke unless the 318 comes up first on a real good deal. A set of push butons under the dash would look neat.
    GEORGE!!

29. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I really don't care what people think of the engine in my hotrod. I'm building it for me, nobody else. As far as the same make of motor for the body arguement...when someone can find me an Essex V8 I'll do my best to build it into my truck. :p

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Damn, I bet that thing was brutal!:eek: