Register now to get rid of these ads!

why must we put the same make motor in samemake body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jun 14, 2010.

1. AntiBling

AntiBling

A better question is, why does anyone give a damn what anyone else thinks? The HAMB is full of opinions, you're going to get them whether you want to hear them or not. I'm guilty for giving mine out from time to time too. I've seen plenty of people getting all butt hurt about it. The reason why? You're not building a car to impress yourself, you're building it to impress everyone else. And low and behold your vision might not be what a majority of the HAMB wants to see.

So to the people who whine about SBC's in everything, there's a reason for it, their cheap, parts are readily available, and they are reliable and fast.

If I wanted a headache, then ya I'd build a flathead. If I had the money, someday hopefully, I'd have a rocket, nailhead, or hemi. Fords? Small blocks I haven't really looked but I've never seen them pull off the look, FE's, they are getting scarce, Y-Blocks, another expensive motor to build up.

Build what you want, grow thick skin, and just enjoy what you build.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I look at it this way...

[​IMG]

3. fbama73

fbama73

Instead of being faster

4. 30sx

30sx
    from canada

sbc have the oil pan sump in the rear, plus they are a very compact unit and they fit many engine bays

5. roddinron

roddinron

Using all new parts from the suppliers as an engine builder would, this may be true, but I can go to any parts meet or classifieds/Craigs list, and find a MUCH wider variety of parts to choose from both new and used for a sbc, than probably all other makes combined. Fords parts interchangeability doesn't come close to a Chevys, so you just end up with a narrower range of choices.
    And, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but even though Chevys may be boring, most fords since the flat head (with a few exceptions) are imo, ugly.
    But we're getting off topic here, let's not let it become another one of "those" threads.

6. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I don't give a crap what someone puts in their ride although seeing people putting in domestic engines into foreign cars puts a smile on my face. I have a couple of 57 210s laying around. The one is absolute junk, was thinking about doing a quick and dirty floor pan patch job and throwing in a Ford 300 six I got laying around. I had an even crazier idea to paint it Chevy red and cut the Chevrolet script off the seized six and transplant it onto the Ford's valve cover. No one will ever know of my little switchero muhahahahaha.

7. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

this was the only logical answer I saw,
    SBC isn't any more relaible than anything else that is properly taken care of and certainly do NOT make plenty of power without sinking a bunch of money in them .
    I'm not a brand loyalist , I love my Oldsmobile's and Ford and think SBC are junk no matter what they are in .

8. try being 18 and having a chevy in a ford....

but i agree. Run what u like!

9. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

So it is not only me that noticed? Good, a friend of mine is building (stopped due to him needing to go to collage) a 1947 ford coupe. He wants to put a big boy chevy in it to give it some real kick. Sadly he changed his mind, he wants flatty power now... I like flatties but I love power, and I did half of the work, you think I would get a say in it.:(

10. Each to his own on a custom build. Budgetary considerations usually exert significant influence.

I have seen one instance, however, that gave me heartburn. One of my acquaintances built a beautiful '65 GTO convertible clone, then stuck in it a 350 Chevy with every bowtie-branded accessory he could find.

I considered that utterly blasphemous and very deleterious to the value of the car.

11. sledish

sledish

When my Y block blew up in my Merc I put a small block chevy in it. 1. It was cheaper 2. parts are everywhere. I lost my alternator in Santa Maria at 9:00 p.m. doing the cruise, I drove down to Kragens and swapped it out in their parking lot in 30 minutes...back on the road.

12. once4fun

once4fun

i love these arguments . so why arent we teachin some kid about cars instead of {arguein} lol

13. rustbucketcb

rustbucketcb
    from Joplin, MO

I really think that the only people that complain about this topic, are the people that either A, are obsessive compulsive, or B, are the types of people that are so "brand loyal" that they would come damn close to shooting someone over it. lol!

I for one, dont care. Just like many have already stated..this is the hot rod/custom side of life..if you like it, use it...its supposed to make you happy, not everyone else. I mean, dont get me wrong, I do tend to be a little brand loyal..I prefer ford, or mopar, but I like chevy too...if I find something that I find bad ass, chevy, or dodge, Ill put it in my ford. Why..? because "I" like it!
    ...it would have to be pretty impressive though...lol :p

I also get something else that has been stated....everybody wants an sbc..?
    but...whatever works!

14. rustbucketcb

rustbucketcb
    from Joplin, MO

Buahahahaha! Like I said, I like chevys as well, but that...that makes me laugh my ass off! :D

15. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Are you suggesting that a Ford Alternator would not have been available ?
    and let me guess the ford alternator would have more bolts and therefore harder to change & took longer than 30 minutes. And the car would not have ran and you would have to push it ? OK now I fully understand !!
    Van

16. Heard That....

17. Because were good little robots.

18. You haven't mentioned Caddy.
    So I put a Caddy 500 in my Lincoln... :D

19. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I went with a smallblock chev for several reasons they are cheep to build,fit in my 39 Ford easily, and make lots of horsepower ,and parts are easy to find anywhere. This was in 1967 and it is still true today.

MY CAR,MY MONEY ,MY WAY

20. Deuces

Deuces

It's all about the freedom to pick an' choose what you want to run...... Plain and simple!! :)

21. Deuces

Deuces

............ Just don't talk to me about imports..

22. rustbucketcb

rustbucketcb
    from Joplin, MO

a BIG second on that!

23. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Well one problem is that the "cheap" chevy parts ARE imported.
    a $99.00 roller rocker set is absolutely Chinese, as is all of those chrome valve cover sets.
    IF you buy American made parts (if anything is still left) the parts are just as expensive as an Olds or big Ford.

24. superbyrd

superbyrd
    BANNED

who cares what engine/tranny combo you put in your ride. and why would you care what others think? isn't the point that you have .....an engine and tranny in your ride and your driving,cruising,and just enjoying your ride? seems to me that everyones taste,budget,and opinions are different,and thats what makes the world go round. i am a die-hard mopar guy myself,got a 72 roadrunner that i completely enjoy,but,i am finishing up my 47 ford coupe rat with a sbc in it. had the stuff here,and will be heading down the road in a few days with a cooly old rat-rod that i have a total investment of $1700.00 in. i can spend more,but,i built it the way i wanted,and i'm happy. don't really give a damn what others think of my choices.........

25. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Why ask why? blah, blah, blah.

26. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Maybe it is that "be true to your school" mentality. Some people hold on to that high school type stuff forever.

27. micahmelanson

micahmelanson
    from Vinton, LA

Does it really matter? As long as it runs and makes people turn and gawk.

28. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Walk though a car show and SBCs dominate everthing. Seems like the standard fare is a T-bucket with a Chevy. Just boring I guess. As a Desoto guy it can be fustrating when having to obtain the very basic parts that were made 50 years ago just to get an engine running. Doesn't seem to impressive if it's something you can just grab off the Auto Zone shelf. OK though if you're a 16 year old with his first ride. Bill

29. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I love the "who cares what others think" comments.

I am a chevy guy but the 350/350 combo is WAY overdone. A lot of these guys on this site will have beat the shit out of you if you put a set of chromed billet rims on your project because it isn't traditional or period correct, but they see no problem putting a 2010 Crate SBC in a 32 ford. Hypocrites.

30. pinman 39

pinman 39

I have a 350/400 set up and glad I do .I drive !
    Maybe thats to much Street Rod for some out there
    I get tired of traditional or old school guys bashing me from their car trailers !
    not that the other motors arn't good but I hear guys use the excuse alot.That they trailer their car because it has a flat head etc .
    With the hood closed and going down the road it doesn't matter what you have.
    Build what makes you happy and go drive it !