Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Why Maroon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just painted my roadster and some have questioned the color. I don't really owe anyone an answer but here it is anyway.

[Cue the soundtrack from Family Vacation in your head]
    "I found out... long ago...
    It's a long way down... the holiday road..."
    [fade out music, narrative voice over]
    It was 1968, my family was preparing for a family road trip to Searcy Arkansas to see my eldest sister walk for her BA degree at Harding College (now Harding University). My father, Elmer, made the call as family patriarch to run down to the local Ford dealership to rent a camper in order to haul my little sister, mother and myself halfway across the county to Arkansas for the graduation ceremony.

I was not present on this hallowed event but what transpired is the subject of family legend and controversy ever since. Upon entering the Francis Ford dealership, my father, a man of great character and conviction, was deferred from his intension and seemingly mesmerized by a 1968 Country Squire wagon.

It was not the intent of his trip that day, it was not the camper he left home to rent. It was in fact a maroon wagon with faux wood paneling and luxurious black vinyl seats that set his heart afire. No need for the camper, no need for air conditioning, no need for sleeping accommodations, this car called to him the way the way sirens call for sailors to abandon all hope in the oceans depths. The Salmon pink and black Rambler sedan was traded for the long roof LTD.

Years later, that wagon would become my high school car. My father, God rest his soul, thought "how could he get into trouble driving a station wagon?" Oh if he only knew.

Why maroon? For my father. For the power to sway a steadfast man from his patriarchal duties. For the strength to force a strong man to submit to a hue few can comprehend and others can only dismiss as impulse buying.

Why does it need an explanation? Maybe it is for my father. Maybe it is to settle my own demons. Anyway, I trust he likes it.

[fade in music]
    It's a long way down the holiday road
    Holiday roooaaaaad, Holiday roaaaad. bark, bark bark....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. Pictures man....we need pictures! Thanks ive got that bloody song in my head now.

Sent from my SM-G900I using H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack be nimble, jack be quick...ohhhhoh oh
    This was years later when I was driving the car in high school. Gabriel Hi-Jackers, Good Years, ET's, all the stuff the old man hated. It was like that 70's show without the hot red head.
    upload_2017-11-22_22-23-34.png

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having been studying maroons for months on end for just that "right" one I can understand your dad.
    Had a classmate who had a 57 Chevy wagon in high school who dated the same gal all thought school and then married her and stayed married to her until the day he died about 3 years ago. Word was that they spent more time in the back of that wagon when they were dating then they did in the front. That came from buddies who spotted them here, there and up on the hill over there in that time frame.

Meanwhile I think I have found that maroon I have been looking for, no metallic, almost looks black in low light and looks like a glass of fine port in good light. Best of all it doesn't scream new car color even though it is.

Detonator, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

I personally love maroon, it is my all time favorite interior color. oxblood, burgundy, maroon, puce try and think of an exterior color it doesnt go with.

doowhatchoolyke.

zzford, loudbang, AVater and 2 others like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo! That's the hue! Here is what we just painted
    upload_2017-11-22_22-36-58.png
    Maroon, Just like daddy liked. Ford royal maroon. Vintage 1969, like a fine wine, never served before her time.

Bam.inc, zzford, nunattax and 19 others like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I am looking at is just enough different to be able to park next to you and not look like the paint came out of the same can.

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Far out! Sorry for his passing. Glad he made the pass!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

49ratfink, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Nothing wrong with Maroon, im leaning towards VW Bordeaux Maroon for my Tudor !

Sent from my SM-G900I using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Count me among those who really like maroon! That roadster body looks GREAT!

Love the story about your Dad and the ‘68 LTD wagon and your phrasing in the telling of it.

Ray

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like maroon..........also like those wags even better now too.:cool:

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Maroon, badass color, found on the the dark side of red.

I like it, and also the firewall color, and contrast.

15. bubba55

bubba55

Beautiful - One of me favorite colors - Nice job there BB !

loudbang likes this.
  16. Was good enough for my friend, the late Jim Thomas. RIP

[​IMG]

17. Jim liked maroon so much, he painted his Ariel Square 4 the same maroon as his roadster.

[​IMG]

18. AndersF

AndersF

Thats right you dont have to tell anyone why you choose those colors.
    But i think its a intresting subject couse the color do so much for the car.
    Jive-Bomber did a blog named"Why'd you pick that color?" some times back.
    That generate alot of answers from people why they choose the color on their cars.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/whyd-you-pick-that-color.1043388/

Bandit Billy, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. brady1929

brady1929

Seriously, I have been looking for the "right" color of maroon for over a year. Do you have any pictures of your roadster out in the sun?

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yup. Perfect color. Nice story too. ;-) I think I mentioned that's the color my '48 Pontiac convert was (and still is, that paint job is almost 30 years old). I don't know why this is in italics...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

Mr48chev, spill the beans. What's the name of the color you are looking at? I am looking for the same color.

loudbang likes this.
  22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Been marooned ever since I seen my very first Impala/Vette in the Honduras version.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Maroon,the color of royalty it is said.And great story,Billy.

zzford, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  24. dan31

dan31

I love that 69' Royal maroon,hell it's one of the only maroons I like. A buddy of mine has it on his 69' Talladega.

25. yes, I would like to see it out in the sun also. Been looking for that just right Maroon for the 31....

loudbang likes this.
  26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've been thinking about this all morning (instead of concentrating on work), and the similarities and differences in our projects.
    I'm guessing that when you began, like me you saw the finished car in your head in that deep maroon, just as I saw mine black. There's no need to explain, but you did an eloquent job doing so. All too often, here as we chronicle our builds, and for sure later when we're out and about with them, we'll be asked to explain to idiots why we did what we did.
    "Why did you pick that color?".
    "Why did you use a Chevy engine?"
    "Why did build a fiberglass car?"
    "Why those wheels?"
    "Why did you use that new body?"
    Why, why, why? The insinuation, (sometimes actually spoken) by these "experts" is of course that we should have done what they wanted.
    Never mind that they couldn't have done what we can, and did.
    Some of that comes from bad manners, it's not just the anonymity of the 'web, because the same dopes feel entitled to ask those questions in person as do here. I've had several people (whom I'm sure couldn't build a car) walk up to us and our '51 Pontiac wagon and say, "I hope you didn't put a Chevy engine in that." With the hood shut. Some of it come's from those people's need to feel superior (that they alone "get it"), and some is envy. Lack of funds, lack skills, lack of vision, pick one or all.
    It's fun seeing your car come together. Thanks for sharing the journey, and long may we roll!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Bandit Billy, 18n57, pat59 and 4 others like this.
  27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Great story. :D Now back to wondering what inspired Lindsey Buckingham to come up with that catchy tune. :rolleyes: Still two versions available , $1.29.

28. I love maroon. I almost painted my truck that color. It was THE color to paint a hot car in high school. Honduras Maroon from the Corvette. A friend of mine painted his 55 Chevy 2 door post Honduras Maroon....smallblock with 2X4s...4 speed. That car made me envious.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

1962 Honduras Maroon

15B46B0A-A6C7-4DFA-B5B6-84DC831EC1EB.jpeg A38DE150-A5D2-4BD1-ACF0-79E5FCB43DCF.jpeg AC916331-D2D9-4887-BDB8-8741D8E4D0A0.jpeg

Bandit Billy, loudbang and slowmotion like this.
  30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Since we're sharing photos of our maroon cars... IMG_2501.JPG