Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why isn,t your car finished/ started ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Oct 27, 2006.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I haven,t had a rod on the road for 4 years, I,ve got a 34 coupe in the corner of my workshop that I haven,t got to because I built an Anglia for my son and am now restoring a Fiat 500 for my daughter, also done some work on my wife,s 54 Chevy and built a new chassis for my daily driver 58 thames van (it still needs a paint job)So what,s your excuse?:eek:

Attached Files:

2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

None. Mine's In progress.

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

Mine WAS in progress until just recently. That heated garage I was trying to buy (with the house) is still a ways off, and it's so cold in my current garage, I can't feel my fingers after a few minutes which makes wrenching a little hard. Boy, I sound like a whiny bitch don't I? I guess I'll always have the southern blood ... so why in the hell do I live in Maine now?

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Ohhh.....bite me...:p

5. Are they ever really finished???? Thats my story.....

6. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

mine is coming out of storage today. i bought it about 5 months ago and then my wife saw it and realized there would be parts laying around so she made me build a privacy fence to hide the mess. i finished it wednesday then worked late yesterday but today....i can finally start tearing it apart

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I've been drunk at truck_rat's house. :)
    Lack of a title and funds is holding me back.

8. Chopper Demon

Chopper Demon

My 55' ford pick up is so close to completion but my work has got so crazy that there is not enough time in the day. It's like I have to make time for the kids which is more important yet alone wrenching on my project:eek: . "I'll get er done".:D

9. Lets see...I wrench on cars 40 hours a week to begin with,got 2 kids "one in college",a mortgage to pay,no time or funds! Its been 13 years so far with this car....

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm about $6000 short of having Big Olds completed the way I want. Seems whenever I get a chuck of change in the bank ready to spend on him I need it for something else. Like right now, I need a new (used) daily driver. Last year it was a new roof on the house. It's never ending.

11. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Electrician = home with outlets with no power
    Plumber = home with leaky faucet
    Car Guy= unfinished car

The only cars I ever see that are "finished" are ones that those other people buy. People who build their own stuff are never really finished, are they?

12. My son and I built a pro street 55 chevy and p/s 68 Chevelle in the last year and a half. We also restored a 73 Triumph Spitfire and 86 VW Cabriolet for my daughter. Built a new engine for same daughter's truck she had to have and built a fresh 5.0 for son (CJ) 85 Z28. Mechanically redid a 74 911 for my wife this previous winter. And various other repairs on vehicles and homes. Now we are in the process of moving and the 34 is sitting in the new garage behind my worktable and tool box. Once I get the garage in order and CJ's new room sheetrocked I will start back on the 34. At least it does move under its own power now. Should be on the road Spring 2007. Yes I do have a full time job that prohibits me from working on cars there. Something about I can't be greasy and see customers.

13. jaybee

jaybee

5 1/2 months unemployment followed by 10 months at a job that paid $8,000/yr less than my previous salary. Now I'm 2 months into a job that I love and it pays closer to what I made previously. Will be back into it as soon as we get caught up financially.

14. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I'm kinda like chopper demon, trying to finish the HA/GR, work on two cars for Daytona, and work has kept me out here till at least 700-900 every night this week.
    I am definitely working on it this weekend.

15. RacerRick

RacerRick

Still pluggin away on the 49 fleetline. It needed everything. Its slowly getting everything. But work, lack of funds, and helping a friend with his olds has slowed me down some.

And add to that I now had to redo the master bedroom because the lathe and plaster decided it no longer wanted to be on the wall, but on the floor. That wall is now fixed and the entire room has been painted. I pick up the new bed this week, and still have to buy the new carpet. Then I can move everything back and stop sleeping in the spare bedroom on the futon.

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My modified? Not finished because...it probably never can be. I'm already three versions down the road in my head. But I'll be driving it as I go.

And the next build? It isn't started because of space requirements and I haven't collected enough parts yet. It's going to be bittersweet when I start that one - my perfect hot rod... but the modified/roadster will have to go into cold storage somewhere to make it happen. Haven't quite figured that one out yet.

17. bastadical

bastadical
    from Fenton, MI

Mine is not finished because:

- I have not finished making enough room in the garage to work on it and it is getting to cold to do it in the drive.

- I am waiting for assistance in rebuilding my carb.

- I am waiting for money to purchase my pertronix.

- I need to sell my parts car before I can do much more.

- I am lazy.

Still, it should be done in time for autorama.

18. raffman

raffman

As with probably most people its a balance of time vs money, you never seem to have an abundence of both at the same time, of course not if you just won the powerball jackpot.

19. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Money.

In addition, I still need some sort of 348/409 for power. They are like hens teeth... hens teeth go for waaaay more than they should.

20. The convergence of time and money is elusive. Since lately I have been working insane hours and farming some work out to friends shops, my money is tied up in my Gold Chain account. And still, I don't have time to go to the jewelery store to get the afore mentioned 'Chains.

How ever, my Olds WILL be at the Mooneyes Party. Not finished, but THERE. Under it's own (Rocket) power.

21. We Don't Need No Stinking Excuses!!!
    but if I did need one, it would be that I fall in to the "can't stick to the theme or one project long enough to finish!"

My 54 GMC is getting done because I need to get all the parts in one place so I can gain shop space for this winter (parts laying everywhere)

My 49 Pontiac is sitting down in the orchard for another rusty winter, along with my 75 2 wheel drive Blazer, 52 Plymouth 2 door hard top wagon, 47 and 48 Buick sedanette's, 49 Plymouth wagon, 2 cad el dorado's, 52 ford pu. 41 and 57 GM Busses. and some parts cars.
    the 48 ford 3-window Hemi coupe and 54 GMC are in the shop and getting some attension.

22. Gumpa

Gumpa

I am just puttering along on it when I can. Physical limitations get in the way along with cash flo. When I am not tinkering with it I am trying to get the Dodge House winterized so I can continue into the winter monthes.

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm still in college. I've done as good a job as I could these past 4 years to keep my 57 on the road, which includes changing virtually every mechanical thing in the car at least once. Now I graduate in a few months, so hopefully as time and money will allow I will start a complete overhaul. But then law school will pick up in Sept, so we'll see.

The bottom line is: Cars are important, but not THAT important. I've learned this one the hard way. My 57 Ford will still be there when I get home. I will always have the opportunity to work on it. But the opportunities I have now: college, law school, going out to wild parties, capitalizing on career opportunities...these aren't gonna be around forever. Cars are a hobby, and I can never let that interfere with school, work, family, or other important relationships I have in my life

24. MotorBike Mike

MotorBike Mike

'Cause I just picked up the model A last night that's why!!!!! but as for the others... no time :(

Mike

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Who ever said you HAD to finish a project? Guess my main problem is having other projects show up looking for a home and taking the funds need for the one I was working on at the time. Underfunded, out of space, in need of direction. Some day the '30 Roadster, '32 Vicky and Henderson 4 will be rolling, but I'm in no rush.:D

26. My 38 that I'm in love with, is never in the right state as I move state to state chasing jobs, so I only get to work on her when Im back visiting relitives. The 49 Ford got smashed when something fell on it, no one seems to know what; I might fix her again. The Opel GT I am trying to sell to make ends meat. And I am always picking up a new project where ever I am at, well it's an adiction, what can I say. Maybe I will find a job that stays in buseness, isn't working for a thief, or doesn't move out of the country, that will let me finish a few projects, but untill then I can only hope on myself, putting most of my time into my own business in hopes that it will make it's own money.

27. bigken

bigken

$$$$$$

Attached Files:

28. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i'm fuckin lazy... and broke. :rolleyes:

29. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

6 busted ribs and a ruptured spleen, from another HOT ROD! Now that I'm getting over that though I won't be in the not done club much longer!

30. squirrel

squirrel

Why isn,t your car finished/ started ?

because I'm lazy