Register now to get rid of these ads!

why is it the simplest job ends up a pain in the ass!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paulatxntric, Apr 28, 2009.

1. so the A has been running steels and wide whites for the last few years but an over enthusiastic play meant bald rears. The fronts had plenty of tread but were really showing the fact i drive the car a lot...and in all weathers!!
    Wide whites over here are £230 each so I was looking at £920 for tyres....
    BUT I'm sorta liking the 60s thing so a second hand set of AREs and a set of white bands.....for around the same price got me a new look....

but how easy is it to swap a set of wheels.......rears no probs..
    the fronts on the other hand don't have the ford 5 stud pattern.....as i found out after I bought the wheels.....(typical) Luckily I have a pair of billet hubs on the car (yeah sorry!) that have been drilled and tapped for several bolt paterns, so off with the backing plates, off with the calliper, Hub, and remove the disc, swap over the pattern and put it all back on...then I find out one of the rears has gone flat.....so the 30 mins it should have taken took4 hours (incl the trip back to Kwik Fit for the replacement valve)

I think it's worth it though...gona drop the rear down before the weekend, look for a small Moon style tank for the frontand think about some mid 60s paint....what ja think and any ideas for the paint

[​IMG]

2. I like it- if anything panel stripe it!! If the rear goes down though, will it have a slight "nosebleed" stance??

3. junk fiend

junk fiend

i think that looks great, love pinners, i would just take off the front wheels backing plate things and through some metallic lime green with some white accents on.

4. I'd go pink with fuzzy yellow seat covers Paul...

5. I know you like pink Dave.........and that pink leather thong really does make you walk like you just passed a wet one!!!

6. been thinking 'bout a panel stripe job...and a drag race class in gold leaf...Off white scollops with dark red pinstripe around it over the fenders has been suggested by Surf Monkey

If I drop the rear (I recon around 2 inches) it will still sit very slightly up at the back but the rear tyres will be up inside the fenders...and i like that!

7. the front wheel backing plate things are Buick finned drums (OK fake ones but the cars gets driven a lot and hard too).....would love a full gold flake job ...or lime green flake but the budget dont run any place close to that..

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks great just the way it sits. I'd leave off the moon tank though as they usually make most cars look a bit over done unless they have the killer engine and rollbar to go with the tank. A little too much "oh wow this will make it look like a race car".

9. 2-TONED

2-TONED

lookin GOOOOD!
    i dig the 60s look. --------- a set of the old center caps are needed.

10. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. With a tail-down attitude, the car will look like it was built by some inbred dolt from the backwoods of Kentucky. There is nothing wrong with the paint. It's beautiful like it is. If you want to add something, find a striper to lay down some striping in maroon, yellow and white. Putting a drag class number on the car would be silly. The correct class would be B/SR and that would appear out of place to anyone who knows drag racing and knows the car requires a full peripheral cage or funny cage to compete in that class.

11. I have the centre caps just dont have any bolts to fit them ..and may make some ray gun industries logos for them.....and yeah I love the 60s look!!

12. it wont go tail down.......that would look stupid....the paint is just too good to strip and re-paint that's why I'm looking for ideas (yeah would love to go full flake but just don't have the cash!!).....your not the first to mention maroon..the number was just an idea....It's never gona be period perfect as I don't have the dedication to go full on (that's why it has a ZZ4 and 700R4 and the fact it does get driven like a bastard) I'm just looking for a flavor, bear in mind I live in the UK and get fucking kids shout "oooh look chitty chitty bang bang" at least once a week.....and parts here are stupid money...and lets not even mention $8 a gallon....
    but Mr48chevy I do want a moon tank even without the killer motor...and maybe a chrome roll bar!!

so more ideas for paint

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It's beautiful just the way it is , so why do you want to change it ?

14. junk fiend

junk fiend

oops my bad. maybe just some scallops then?

15. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

And, what kind of bolts would that be???????? 10/32 screws????

16. maybe!!!!

17. See if you can find some pics of Lurker Micks red RPU.

It has some very nice white striping and some of it has the center areas filled with black paint.
    A very nice look and a little different.

A billet cap with O-ring - or two - for retainment may do it for the center.

A hood top would lengthen the front end visually.

Fwiw, this is about as low as you can go with a 28" diameter rear tire and still have a few inches for suspension travel
    [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm curious about your top.

Does it stay down when running highway speeds or do you have it tied down some way?

Thought about running my roadster with the top down, but take it off instead.

Probably ought to buy a boot for it - a boot here is a zipped or velcro'd canvas pocket for the top, complete with irons etc. can be tucked away.

My fear is having the top open up at 75 per and do the "drag chute" imitation with resultant ripping, tearing, bending . . . and cussing....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did I mention, nice car?

Really nice car.

It's where my pal was going with this then he sold it.
    [​IMG]

And sold the red paint....

Nice car....

18. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Bitchin car, but I wouldn't do anything drag related because of the stance. It needs a full hood and panel striped in vanilla. Search "Early Times" car club for inspiration.

Nothing about that car says Drag style to me.

19. brewsir

brewsir

I like flames myself...nice car! Maybe just some simple candy red panels done in lace. Or flames....lots and lots of flames....did i mention I like flames???

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

My dumb 2 cents is B&W striping (look up Tommy The Greek), Off White firewall, and as mentioned leave off the tank.
    If the budget allows, swap over to rams horn exhaust, some vintage valve covers and air cleaner. Hood top would help.

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

So, find out, and let me know!!!!!and then P M me with your address, unless you can get them readily in that U K place over there.......

And, don't make me ask you again!:D

22. I can get them here.....and thanks for the offer.......

and no Sir I won't.....

PS
    I'm not dressing like the Gimp from pulp fiction????....besides A32Flathead looks better in leather than I do!!!!!...

PPS. I have no first hand experience of Dave in leather OK

23. I had it like this for the last 4 years....and just fancy a change!

[​IMG]

24. I'll seek out the RPU (and early times club as well!!)

I have a full hood to go on and have been looking for some early corvette covers and some sort a air filter...gona stick with the headers but may fabricate some turnouts to exit behind the front wheel level with the bottom of the running board...(that will have to run between the four bars though and I'm shit with stainless!)

It should go down a couple of inches...not a difficult job....adjustable coil overs!...if it's too low then I can take it up a bit..

The roof.....
    Yeah it bellows really bad and flaps on the rear deck scratching the paint..I do have a velcroed boot for it that does make things better but even that tends to catch the wind and has ripped off 4 or 5 of the press studs that hold it to the rear rail, It slips out from the back and flips inside the car (hitting you on the back of the head!!). the best thing I have found is to fold the hood in such a way that the ends (the bits that stick out at the side once it's down) fold under the frame (this way the frame traps the hood down) and then I have 2 nylon straps that wrap around the back of the hood to stop the bellowing (it needs 2, if you use one then one side ot the other will still pop out)....and Iv'e had the car to 155 and not lost the roof with it like that.....I am going to add a press stud to each strap so they clip on the inside too just to make it neater .....

25. 155 Kilometers?

My experience with coilovers is that they don't adjust height a whole lot.

Cranked up my 32's a couple of times and it could probably use the next step up spring.

I'm taking it that "hood" is the canvas top proper?

Looks good with the velcro'd boot over the top canvas.

Interesting and kinda cool little car parked behind the roadster.
    What the heck is it?

Surely not a Nash Rambler?

26. 155mph....the Boxter jacked in at 135........not gona do it ever again...trust me not a nice place to be at that speed.....puckering ass and all!!

Hood as in engine cover!
    a hood here is called a bonnet....and a canvas roof is called a hood....but I do mean I have a full bonnet!

OOOOH yeah it's a 51 Nash Rambler pick up....was my daily for around a year. Hand fabbed roof, pick up bed, fender skirts (front and back!) fender tops (rear) fins, frenched rear lights, canted and frenched front lights...nice full Kustom....

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Stock A's and '32's came with two leather belt-buckle straps that hold the stack of top bows tight, trapping the folds of cloth, and hook down to the top rest brackets on the deck...these really tighten the heap of flapping stuff. The straps are available from all the repro places, and of course could be easily replaced by a simple velcro belt rig.