Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is Goodguys in PA. is not catchin' on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yekoms, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im a goodguys member and i love the shows been to the last couple at indy and columbus and i have all ready taken time off from work to go to bowling green next month and if pocono was closer to me id be there aswell

the only bitches i have about the shows are getting rained on.....:D and when someone moves thier car and i end up getting pics of the same car twice but if its a cool car i can deal with it , i mean if it was cool enough to take the first pic it must be cool enough for the second one right

i am a true car enthusiast i am not a thick wallet gold chainer

i dont understand all these "car people" on this board that piss and moan and bitch about a cool car wether its from the 20's or the 70's (yeah i bitch about the new mid 70's and up shit too)

and really is it that big of a deal that someone might actually LIKE the billet stuff and WANT to put it on thier car

and i dont know about you but i like brightly colored stuff
    a whole field of flat back, rusty bare steal, or mud covered cars is boring they all look alike after awhile

back when, unless a guy was drag racing his car and JUST cared about going fast the most important thing to those "traditional" guys was having the cleanest nicest looking rod they could possibly have

allthough i do think its very funny almost everone bitches about rat rods but when one rolls into a show its not long (most times before its even parked) theres a crowd around it

sorry i got off topic a bit

i love the goodguys events

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

My point is and has been that if I'm going to be a member of a club that, charges me a membership fee, charges money for me to enter my car, charges a gate admission for people to look at my car and make money off of the whole concept of a car show that the event producers, especially professional event producers should provide a quality environment for all of the participants, ie, the people with the cars, all of the people with the cars, not just some. Once you get to the point that the venue has become unable to serve the function it's time to book a better venue. If your venue does not serve the participants the show will not grow, it will shrink and fade away. Just because you do it does not mean they will come, the show down the road may have a pork chop sandwich, an air show, a nostalgia drags or root beer floats better than yours.
    Best shows ever:
    Ample shade, Plenty of spectator parking, good camping facilities, wash stations to clean the cars, trailer parking if you choose, no fences between vehicle types just an open venue, plenty of clean toilets, vendors spread out among the cars, no builders choice area mix them up among the others, no dust.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

OK, then. This is just silly. Thanks for playing.

4. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

Missed Pocono, the report from an old grenade inspector (Bianchi) that I was to attend with:
    Great weather (I new that).
    Great Venue.
    Though not all traditional cars, increadible displays of workmanship.
    Driving events were a big plus.
    The three day minimum for one day in the infield with your car was a big swallow!
    The out field parking alternative was a fair alternative.
    Hopefully life stays out of the way next year and I can attend.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

More good feedback to chew on. Thanks.

6. I have a solution

Francisco, you stay home next year and rest, since the show is such a drain on your psyche.
    I'll take your dusty parking spot and enjoy the weekend. Maybe I'll Autocross and try my hand at the coloring contest too.

7. 2002p51

2002p51

You just described the Goodguys show at Bowling Green! :)

8. UOD

UOD
    from N.H/Fl.

Weather was great, Motel was cheap, Local diner had great food and 4 runs around the track is the most fun you can have with your pants on. I asked everyone there for next years dates. I never got an answer. Will ther be a 2011 Pocono?

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

And all four in Pleasanton, Orange County, Rhinebeck, Spokane, Des Moines, etc. etc.

10. Fenders

Fenders

It's not called GREEDguys for nothing...

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Wow, that's original.

12. BCR

BCR

My daughter has won the coloring contest (ppg) and she was so upset that the LAR didn't have a coloring contest. Ha Ha. She looks forward to it at every event and starts to plan her color scheme a week or two before the event.

They also had a model build (handed out free model car to kids to assemble on site at KC.

13. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I will say here what I say to anyone who listens GoodGuys puts on the best large format car show bar none. Sure you can bash it and try to compare it to your local show that has 500 cars in the park with plenty of shade hosted by the city, and you get to see if the groundhog sees his shadow or not.

I have never been to a company show that makes me want to come back more than any GoodGuys event. I went to louisville this year for the first time, and dont care if I ever go back I had several rude instances with there staff. I even had one of there staff members call me stupid when I asked him what the furthest distance rules where for the show, and I explained my roadtrip in the van. Now if he would have called me stupid for driving the van that far it would be accepted, but not to call me stupid to ask if I qualified.

Kirk you guys do a amazing show series, and if PA was closer I would go to that one also....see you this weekend in Fort Worth.

If no one else thanks you thanks for being a standup Kat and answering stupid posts

14. John Denich

John Denich

When did not become okay to charge for a good product! I have been to many Good Guys events all over the country...I have never had a bad experience! lets see I get to see all the new products coming out, I get to hang with my friends, I get to look at cool cars, I get to meet new people, I get learn new things at the seminars, depending where it is I get to see a new city and cruise around it in my Car! all for 60 bucks for three days! I have never been told where to park, infact they have an area for the home built cars! I don't get the gripe! I know I will never have a good time at a Knitting Show so I don't go, If you don't like Good Guys shows don't go! now I am off the the Knitting forum to bitch!

John

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I talked to a guy Sunday that was bringing a car back home on Sat. and he stopped in because it was on the way. He said it cost him 90 bucks to get in for the day. WE are both aware of the Gazzette and it being a once a year charge but damn 90 bucks for one day? There may be no solution but I won't be coming anytime soon.

[​IMG]

I went to Charlotte several years ago and loved thrashing the flathead but it's out of my current price range now. My buddy and I split the motel.

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

GREEDguy's eh...??? Lemme put some perspective on that term:

Great
    Rides,
    Exciting
    Events.
    Diligent
    Guy's

There ya go...NOW the name fits...!!!

R-

17. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

You know it doesn't matter to me, if I am going one day, I am going three days. I hear from a lot of people that the cost is too high for one day. Not everyone can/will devote an entire weekend for the show. I guess 2,000 cars for one day is better than 1,400 for the weekend.

Again not my opinion, just what I hear.

PA guys I feel your pain. GG tried to make a show work in the wisconsin area. they gave it there all and tried to make it happen in Waukesha, but that was a shit location. Then when they went to Madison and it was an awesome venue and lots of cool stuff in town to do and see. But no numbers, spectators or registration. So we lost the show and every time I have to drive through Chicago to get to a Goodguys show I curse them cheap Wisconsinites that wouldn't bring their car to the show.

Francisco, where is the dignity in whining about your dusty parking spot?

18. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Perfect!

19. I challenge Kirk to get a show to the Black Hills. If we can pull a half million bikes in for Sturgis he should be able to draw a couple thousand. The Corvette Classic does it. DOuble dog dare ya kirk! :)

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

That would be a cool place!

21. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I second that, that's like a 12 hour drive but I would gladly make that run. that is a cool area and i don't have to drive through Chicago.

Downside - nearly every parking spot would be dusty:D

22. slammed

slammed

You do not NEED GG to have a show. Is there some magic in the air when it roll's into town?

23. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I like the Goodguys shows. It cost money to go to there shows but all shows cost money. There is so much to see. There is all types of cars and cars from all over the country. You can park anywhere you like at Charlotte show. I feel the Goodguys due a great job with there showes. If I had time and money I would go to the PA show.

I have been to AACA show they tell were to park. If your car is modified you are not allow in. I like AACA but that is there show.

The Early V8 Show the one I went to in Charlotte. Is for the Early V8 show is for the car owners but much for the spectators.

Kirk hope to see at Charlotte Show.

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Uh, I don't know about magic, but a lot of people know about it and a lot of people show up, so there's more to see.

25. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

You are correct!

However, you do need Goodguys to have a Goodguys's show.

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, there's a FREE model Make 'n Take sponsored by Revell at every Goodguys event on Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes twice a day depending on the size of the event.

27. agtw31

agtw31

first thing i saw here in Columbus at goodguys was 2 bandit trans ams for sale.i thought i was at Musclepalooza
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

28. KIRK!

KIRK!

Did you buy me one?

29. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

First off I'm all for Goodguys shows, the northeast area especially. The problem is I've been to Poconos, along with many other venues, and it was just laking a good vibe, something was missing. When I go to plan out events for the summer, as much as I would like to support a more local event, I could go to Columbus for just a little more time and money and really see a good show. I know many others that feel the same way. That event seems to only be there to fill a void. It needs to feel less generic.
    As far as all the haters, Goodguys puts on a great event. As much as I like traditional styled shows, I keep seeing the same cars in my area over and over and an event like there's brings out a different crowd, even different "traditional"cars. It's like going to a rock concert at an arena opposed to watching a band on your town green, They can both be fun or both suck, it doesn't matter how much money you spend.

30. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

It would seem by reading this thread that not all Goodguys venues are the same from sea to shining sea. That's not at all surprising, as some areas of the country just don't have super-lux digs to put on a huge show with thousands of cars and people, while others do. The show promoters have to get the best venues they can, and sometimes that means little shade, dirt parking, and dust. But it's either that or no show, right?

I'm lucky to live near Scottsdale, and the show at Westworld is top-shelf. Expensive? Sure, but I never go as a spectator - I always enter a car. That way, as has been pointed out, I get a three day pass for two people, no parking fee, and a goody bag with lots of cool stuff in it. Break it down, and it's a good deal for a weekend of fun - still a good deal even though I only go for two days.

Westworld is mainly a huge field to park in, all grass except for the upper levels which are paved. No dirt except for the swap meet vendor parking area, but no show cars park there. Very little dust. Food is expensive, but it is at at any type of show where it has to be brought in and set up, and it's generally very good - and the kind that you can usually only get at a state fair or the Renaissance Festival. Huge portions too. If that's not good enough and you are entering a car, bring a small cooler with bread, lunch meat, cheese, and mustard/mayo. Bam, cheap food. Lots of participants do it.

Parking usually isn't a problem, but my buddies and I get there early, like no later than 7:30AM to park in our favorite corner of the field. The field fills up quickly, especially on Saturday, but everyone that shows up can usually get a decent spot.

So what is my only gripe about the whole shebang? The 1972 cutoff, which is enforced loosely at best. It's not really a problem if a car gets in that's only a couple years off from the cutoff, like a '73 Mustang that looks like a '72 except for a slight difference in the grille, or a '74 Chevelle Laguna, probably nobody will make much noise about those. But far more common were the at least half-dozen late model Corvettes with awful body kits that make them resemble '53s, '65s, or even '59 Chevys. A few years ago, it was Thunderbirds and Cougars with kits that graft '49 Ford front and rear clips on, but these Vette abominations really got talked about among the participants and spectators, and not in a good way. Why does Goodguys allow these things? Do they just not want to confront the owners and get into the inevitable tiff with them, or does nobody really care that these owners register their '07 Corvette as a '65?

It's a minor gripe, and it certainly won't affect my going to future shows, but the overwhelming sentiment is that stuff like that doesn't belong there. Looking forward to the November show.

-KK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.