Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is cruising dead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. deto

deto

Damn I didn't realize my generation ruined cruising and brought about its demise before we were even concieved. I have way more power than I thought.

Its a different time. I'm 25 and wish at least twice a week I had somewhere to cruise. Liability and regulation strangle any effort to organize a cruise.

They can be formed but they take serious networking and organization.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Money does have something to do with it. From the time I started driving (legally), 25-years-ago, gas prices have gone up about 676%, while minimum wage has gone up just about 231% (Federal).

If minimum wage were pegged to the price of a gallon of gas, minimum wage would have to be $22.65 per hour. I don't know too many kids making that kind of money. I barely make that running a hot rod shop, in a good year.

3. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

I do a cruise/ poker run every fall. We drive on average 100 miles. The cruise starts and ends at my house. Just for fun everyone pitches in a dollar to play a poker hand and the winner gets the pot. I pick up giveaways through the year, on average 10 dollars or less each. We have a meal and a bonfire upon returning. We supply the meat and eveyone brings a covered dish. The meal is usually brisket from the smoker, maidrites and hotdogs - Plus 3 tables of covered dishes. This done in the fall to close out the season. There are no cut off dates for cars, no classes, no trophies - just fun.

4. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Liability and regulation are killing America a little bit more every day. (what is more American than cruising?)

It doesn't help that so many of the "regulation types" equate "leisure driving" with destroying the planet, while at the same time many of these types think nothing of jetting off to Europe for a long weekend.... :D

I hate stupid.....

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'm 19 now and I like to cruise. You said kids today don't like to cruise. How can you say what kids like to do? Giving me my opinion, eh?

Way to go, ranting about something I wasn't even talking about. You can't prove kids don't like to cruise today, I disprove your "fact" by simply being a kid and liking to cruise.

If you don't want to argue about the things you say, don't say stupid things that aren't true.

I don't know what you're exactly ranting about, I'm sorry you suck at sports?

6. dudley32

dudley32

suck?...19?..I turned 20 in VietNam...I left cruzin' behind..get a life..

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  7. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

for most kids cars are utilitarian,,, like a tooster, microwave, or dishwasher.

lots of kids do not want to drive at 16,,,thye want to be cheuvered around by mom an daddy,,,

it is not wrong,,,for them driving is a waste of THEIR time,,you cant text and drive,,,so drivings got to go,,,

more power to em,,,different strokes for different folks,,,

if they don't like driving or cuising ,,so what,,,its a free country,,,

most of todays kids are GREAT,,, even if they dont' like cars or driving,,

IMHO the kids today are better than the kids from my generation,,,im a boomer.

8. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

ADULTS AND BUSINESS OWNERS shut down cruising in most citys,,they got tired of kids in cars being loud, rude, and not spending money at business whose parking lot they were squating on,,and this was in the 60's, 70;s 80,s 90,s and now.

9. onebadrambler

onebadrambler

I was cruising Deer Park Ave.in the 70`s when your hood stayed closed when you pulled into a parking lot(Channel`s)and street racing was big on 231.I got back into the car scene in the 90`s to find cruising was long dead and now we had "Cruise Night`s" and as you know living on Long Island there is a cruise night(sometimes 3 or 4)every night of the week.If you want to go cruising just let me know i still have a roll of film i have to pick up at Fotomat.....

10. smarg

smarg

I don't know what your trying to say?

11. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

I excel at sports you nitwit, I said I dont like those three. I also said there is more to do now then back then, my main point as to why kids are doing something else.

Im responsible for what I say, NOT what you hear, your an arguementative kid, and you should read more carfully, and stop trying to get threads closed becuase you have nothing positive to contribute.

Case closed. You and your girlfriend there should stay off of threads A.) if you dont like them, B) if you cant contribute to em,C) dont want to get called out for being a douchebag by older guys that are on the thread for the two main reasons you want it closed...

I give you the opportunity to blast away, as I wont be back on this thread. Have at it JR.

Sorry guys about the content going to shit, and my apologies if this kickass thread gets closed...

Hodge

12. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Seriously? I couldn't disagree more with this statement- having a cool car is always going to be a big deal for youths. I mean, we don't have houses or careers, we define ourselves pretty much with what we drive and what we wear.

How can you even say something like that? I bet I know more young people than you do, and they'd vouch for what I'm saying.

Let me guess, table tennis and frisbee golf?

You're right, there is a lot more to do now than ever. Kids are still out cruising, though. That's a fact. I think the difference is now-a-days, the cruising is more about enjoying and showing off the cars, not a necessity for seeing what your friends are doing, trying to get alcohol, and girls. It's a priority change.

Wouldn't communication be a whole lot easier if you could construct a simple paragraph that would equate what I'm hearing to what you're saying?

Read more carefully? If you would have read this entire thread, you'd see that the argument you're attempting to present has already been brought up and addressed.

I said this thread should have stayed dead because obviously, the new folks chiming in haven't read the thread, so they're ignorant of the fact that these frail arguments and "facts" they are presenting have already been resolved. I thought I've contributed as much to this thread (if not more) than anyone else in here.

I do like threads, I love them in fact- this one especially. I don't like fools who have keyboard diarrhea messin' 'em up because they're too lazy to read through a few pages before spouting off again.

If I can't contribute then why are you still here having a discussion on a discussion board?

I really couldn't care less about what you have to call me. I'm on the thread presenting the other side of the story, I'm sorry if that chaps your ass, but sometimes when you have a discussion, more than one person gets to talk.

Thanks for your permission to allow me an opinion.

13. customcory

customcory

Maybe its the 1 foot tall speed bumps, traffic calmers , they put up like in my home town. I have to avoid cetain streets. But it stops those lowriders you know.:mad:

14. 5window

5window

While I agree with you, in actuality,if what you "said" is not what the listener "heard" then you have failed to effectively communicate.

The sad reality is that 93% !! of a communication's content is lost when it is made electronically rather than in face to face verbal exchanges. Which means that only 7% of your meaning is available for the "listener".

Also, everybody's a tough guy and an expert over the internet,which is why we should all go out and play-even though it's only 20 damn degrees here.

15. Hey wait a minute I contributed something.

Lets go here instead of being a bunch of ass-hats.

Cruising isn't dead it is just different. Things have changed, The Fonz has come out of the closet, Wolfeman jack doesn't soak his grounds with seawater any more and pot is legal in Calif.

When those of us that experienced cruising were in it, we were adolescents. Most of us that are still around had two things in common we wanted to find a loose chick and we didn't want to get drafted.

That is all behind us. If you are still adolescent and need your fix do it the way you want to do it. None of us can go back so forward is your only option.

Opine away it won't change a thing, we live in a brave new world. Enjoy it while it lasts because it too will change.

16. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

In my little town we didn't plan to cruise it was just what we did from downtown out to the 99 drive in or the A&W. Those don't exist anymore. You would stop and have a Root Beer or at the 99 a hot dog without ever leaving your car. or maybe just cruise through the parking lot let them hear your pipes or cam and start the whole circuit again. Sometimes we'd head up to Jackson and cruise Michigan ave. They made a mall out of it and killed downtown. It's a different time hangouts are mostly gone have to plan your cruises very carefully. Most parking lots have no loitering signs posted.

17. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Tricknology [​IMG]
    for most kids cars are utilitarian,,, like a tooster, microwave, or dishwasher.

lots of kids do not want to drive at 16,,,thye want to be cheuvered around by mom an daddy,,,

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

(from strangeagent),,,,Seriously? I couldn't disagree more with this statement- having a cool car is always going to be a big deal for youths. I mean, we don't have houses or careers, we define ourselves pretty much with what we drive and what we wear.

How can you even say something like that? I bet I know more young people than you do, and they'd vouch for what I'm saying.

(From Me)

You are correct I should have said,,, " In my humble opinion""

yes, you are likly correct that you know more kids than I do...and most of the kids you know are from your school or town.

but I know more grand parents, aunts, uncles, and parents than you do, who live all over the country,,and so i get my info from them about the kids they know.,, so my data base is a little more diverse than yours.

And that is where i got my anecdotal data,,,todays kids are terrific for the most part,,they are just not into cars like we old folks were/are,,,and that is OK,,, Just look at our All volunteer Military,,,Best there ever was,,, and 100% made up of todays kids.

18. I'm 47, and we had the same thing at Clearwater Beach in the 80's... The Chamber of Commerce said the hotel and motel guests didn't want to hear cars and music. They instituted anti-cruising laws, set it up so you could only make one pass down the beach and then sent you back over the bridge to the mainland, they had decible meters for exhaust and stereo sounds.

All we ever wanted to do was show off for the girls.

If they would have force the girls to hang out in church and convince them that being really quiet is sexy, and we all would have sold our cars and hung out there.

19. The Berlin Tpke WAS great. Now it's flooded with ticket-happy cops and kids in 4-door civics driving erratically (yes, I know what I'm saying here). They both feed off of eachother. Too bad, it was really a great place to go up until 10 years ago.

I used to love cruising around, or even going for a drive to clear my head, but $3.50 a gallon and the exponential growth in traffic has really discouraged it. I drive my old Ford very early on Sunday mornings and that's about it.

20. drfreeze

drfreeze

WOW I remember cruising Hempstead Turnpike (the pike) and RT231 deer park ave (DPA) back in late 80's alot of light to light action ,every parking lot packed full of cars and people ..Hot Rod Burgerking in bethpage , uncle sam parking lot ... man those were some good times .....but now cops on patrol constantly looking for the fast and furious crowd (fart can jap cars ) which pushed all the real hot rodders and street racers underground or to parking lot events for bench racing sessions ...yea theres still some action here on the island but you have to be at the right place at the right time

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  21. I dont mind cruising but I have had my fill of cruise ins.
    Don

22. "sickboy"

"sickboy"

I didnt know 14.50 an hour was over paid to get shot and stabbed twice as well as ran over by 4 different vehicles .. Hmmm I guess you should tell me what you think is a fair wage .. As I said before in my post .. Stop the hating and just f ing drive .. And watch who you disrespect while your hiding behind your keyboard ......this is the prob so many complainers and people who have to pass the buck and point fingers .. Just drive your damn car , park , drive repeat... Others will soon follow

23. tlundberg

tlundberg
    from Arma Ks

The price of gas is one factor.

Lundy

24. bklmerc

bklmerc
    from ohio

Seems to me the folks that cruse in Northern ohio have some of the best !!!

25. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

You're getting information from secondary sources, and I too have family in different locations all over this country, and have lived in a few different regions of this country.

I think the auto enthusiast industry today is bigger than ever, and the younger generation has a big part in that. I could understand what you're saying if you're talking about the younger generations being into traditional hot rods and customs, I'd mildly disagree, but I could at least see where you're coming from.

To say kids in general don't like cars today seems absurd. Look at all the magazines out there that's filled with young folks. Upgrading cars is a passion for so many young folks out there today.

You must have some weird connections if you think most kids don't care about cars.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but we get all stabby about how which cars they choose to upgrade, or how they choose to upgrade them, because they are not always exactly like what we like to upgrade, or how we like to do it:eek:.

27. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I don't have a problem with that at all, to each his own... but to say kids today don't like cars at all? Come on now, I'm not trying to be a prick, but sheesh.

28. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Alot of cruizin in Northern Ohio... ALOT!!! Western Ohio has a bunch of clubs and then there is The Toledo Area Street Rodders Association. SO many big cruizez, Wendys i n Perrysburg, Run to the Rapids is comin up. Toledo SPeedway Classic, and Make a Wish cruiz, Parkway Plaza... and so many more.

I am in NE Ohio but head west and grab a long distance award, There are alot here to. infact I would say 1 every night of the week. many times more then 1 a night. Besides the bigger ones. We even have a magazine called Cruizin Times, and it breaks um down to Best cruiz by size. The spin out, or The Brimfield Nats are great.

I plan on rackin up some miles this summer, and hopefully catch a drive in movie or 2.

The OT cruisers have their own cruise spots, and once in a while stop in and check out the old hot rods, but never any loud bangin music or issue's, just alot of "my dad had a car like that"

29. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I live a couple blocks from the local high school i went to 30+ years ago. Compared to back in the 70's there are almost no performance cars around there at all, and that's even after redefining "performance" to include beater stereo cars and near stock Civics. Weirder yet there seems to be more 16 year olds without drivers licenses than with.

Sure wasn't like that when i went to school. Hot cars circled the block at lunch and for about an hour after school.

30. petes65usa

petes65usa

Agree......lots of cruisin going on up here when the weather is good...almost every night of the week !!!