Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Why I Was Late To Work This Morning...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Isn't Vintage Air just down the road? Tunes are almost as important to me as brakes, and the Soccer Mom's aren't looking at you with disgust. They are all wishing their husbands had balls as big as us Hot Rodders do.

GreenMonster48 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Ha Ha, Screw the soccer moms and fix the switch Dad. :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Model T1

Model T1

WTF is a soccer mom? Back when I worked for a living in central Illinois I drove all kinds of crap 15 miles to work. Sometimes middle of the nite. Sometimes in the morning shift. Had one steep hill that sometimes was very icey in winter. Not so much in summers!
    I drove a 1939 Ford coupe with a small block Chevy. Still had the original gauges and heater. Sometimes it actually put out some warm air which made a nice clear spot on the windshield about half way to work. Wipers worked now and then.
    I also drove a stock 1939 Ford 4-door. That heater was about the same, usually.
    Drove a 1955 Chevy 2-door and a 1955 Chevy wagon, plus now and then a 1957 Chevy 2-door, a 49 Olds, and other old crap that I loved.
    The goofiest thing I did was for maybe five years 350 days a year rode a 1950 Harley tank shift bike. No kids involved.
    But many times I did take the kids to school in most of the above vehicles. Far as I know the only complaints were my daughter who thought old cars needed stereos and heaters. No one heard of soccer in the midwest. It was for people who drank wine!
    As for wine, it's mostly for ladies. Sadly it makes my wife's clothes fall off so I try not to let her drink more than a gallon at a time.
    Love that beat up ole truck Ryan. You need to fix the heater and leave for school earlier.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. 66gmc

66gmc

I daily drove my 49 chevy truck for 2 years in the spring/summer/fall with no heater/defrost/door seals/radio, the video with the fogged up windows looked very familiar.... rolling the windows down a crack seemed to always help, that and carrying a roll of paper towel. The plan was too install a heater/door seals ect and drive it through the winter too, but I always chickened out(winters are cold here and its a 50km round trip to work every day)
    The final straw was when the linkage for the windshield wipers decided to self destruct on the highway during a heavy downpour, and I got to hang out the window at 110km/h and use my arm as a windshield wiper.
    I fixed the wipers, sold the truck and bought a late model. Big mistake, the late model is just as big of a piece of shit as the truck was, except its harder to work on and parts are more expensive.

fourspeedwagon and volvobrynk like this.
  5. ruffie tuffshitski

ruffie tuffshitski

Haha, I had a 63 f100 short box, 10 in wide cragars, SBC motor, got pushed out of a snowdrift one morning with a roadgrader that had a v plow on it, caught my exhaust tip, and broke my ramshorn manifold, that was a rough morning! Lol

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

When I watched the video I thought the story would end with the school calling to let you know your daughter keeps saying "I can't see a goddamn thing!"

Years from now she'll remember the little thing like the wipers slapping, the smell of the old truck.

It's all good!

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With out all those modern distractions new vehicles have you get to focus on the task at hand . That is driving and getting from point A to B safely . With no distractions the clarity of focus and enjoyment of old rides is amazing . Enjoy the drive with your family it will be something your kids will look back on with a smile .
    I spent the day driving a 1965 Chevy C60 pulling a 30' flat trailer hauling 16 round bales . The hum of the 292 inline 6 , shifting the 4speed with the 2 speed rear end . Getting the job done.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. well....if I had had a bitchen truck like yours.....maybe there would have been a kid or two - just kidding - I'm sterile ....but the old Stude has always been there since 1974- stillrunning - it's what I get asked about most often.....oh....and nice seats there ! DH000005.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Damn I feel smug, my heater, wipers and defroster all work. And my grandson loves to ride with me, this was on our way to Hoedown. image.jpg

10. And I thought it was always "Hot and Sunny" in Texas !

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. every day is good in an earley F-100 with a six three on the tree Lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Old cars are fun aren't they. We get cold mornings and sometimes even rain :eek:, with the cars parked outside the windows get fogged up so every driver gets the heater fixed (no kids so no car seats). Daily drive them in the city, not a city like LA but getting there..........and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Car seats,shit most of us didn't have the luxury of that, Moms 55 Rocket 88 had an expandable sheet metal set up that hooked to the back of the drivers seat and rested on the back seat,it turned the back seat into a large playpen thats where I hung out. When sugar beet season was upon us I spent time riding shotgun in the 53 GMC 10 wheeler with mom driveing hauling sugar beets to the rail siding,when i got tired I just curled up on the floor.

When the soccer mom cars die on the side of the road because of a computer glitch on their plastic car just smile and wave as you ease right by them.

loudbang, Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  14. conormulroney

conormulroney

I learned long ago that a sqeegee works well as defroster. But you have to replace them every 5 years or so.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Get a bottle of rainx, you wont even need wipers above 30 mph, hell I did an entire Washington winter in my '64 el camino without wipers

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Around here, that non-working defroster would get you a ticket and a trip to have a government safety inspection, as it is considered a safety item. I'm still jealous, as I drive a 55 mile round trip to work, in a commuter car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So is this traditional self abuse? You're gettin picked on just a bit bruz but you did say you suck. It's sorta like spitting out the window of a hot rod at speed with no wind wings and gettin that back spray, eww. But hey, you can handle it, right? Get some music in that thing. You already know how much better it'll run with the radio turned up. Just sayin...

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Chuckamatic

Chuckamatic

I can relate. I drive my 'ole 3 on the tree C10 every day that I'm not on one of my old bikes. Some days (rare days) you are just not feeling the whimsy. I worked for years in an office with new cars and company cars and I always longed for the days when I could drive old cool stuff to work. It is glorious. The added bonus, especially with the bikes, is that I get my fix without losing any home/family time.

19. Tradition......ain't it a bitch?! :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a pretty sweet lunchbox you got there. No need to lie about it being your daughter's. Man Up!

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. gonzo

gonzo

Ha ha,. Also aren't you the guy that wrote that tech article about how to put a snazzy ipod hook up in your car with virtually no effort? I agree 100% though a few simple luxuries really improve the experience of driving an old car. (Says the guy who also has no heat or radio in his hot rod.)

22. Model T1

Model T1

Vintage Iron I like this....... Can't believe others didn't write that.....When the soccer mom cars die on the side of the road because of a computer glitch on their plastic car just smile and wave as you ease right by them.:D
    Lucky Ryan's daughter could carry a lunch box like that. Most places that's considered a dangerous weapon by soccer mom's.:)

23. Ryan,
    There was a period when I had to daily drive my radio and heater delete Chevy II during a winter once, I would go out about 15-30 min. (15 min. was fine if there wasn't any frost/ice on the windows) before I had to leave and put one of those small single bulb contractor lights on the front seat and plugging it in. Leaving the window down just enough to allow the cord to go through kept enough heat in that the car was nice and cozy inside when I left for work! By aiming it upwards at a 45 degree angle the base and top handle kept it off the seat, you could also place it on the floor, just don't aim it towards the seat. Not a permanent fix by any means, but it worked exceedingly well!

Attached Files:

24. Normant93

Normant93

Hey man, I think you're on to something there.
    If I remember correctly, in one of the pictures from Norm & Ryan's dueling Riviera road-trip, from Boston back to TX a few years ago, there was a pink suitcase in the trunk of Ryan's car when they stopped for a tire blow-out....... maybe Ryan's just into pink luggage and accessories......and that's ok if he is........just saying.

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  25. vint

vint

Ha, I thought my '65 F-100 with factory driver's side only sun visor was about as low trim as you could get. Guess I didn't know how lucky I am being spoiled my my heater and radio...

26. Timbofor

Timbofor

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426097260.931277.jpg my wife has occasionally got caught in a rain storm in her summer car. No windows, no wipers, no heat, holes in the floors. (We call then drain holes). Once it rained so hard the water was shooting up through the holes in the floor. She loved driving that car before her legs failed on her. Hopefully physical therapy will help. In the mean time I'm doing some upgrades on it for her to make it easer to drive.
    Don't hate me because I have a vw. It's the wife's toy.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Now Ryan I know you have the talent and the wherewithall to get a heater in that old truck and to hook up the defroster. Just cause it is an old truck don't mean things can't work.

28. Answer to A) And what makes you think the heater would work in that? ;-)

29. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I was driving my DD aka my '92 Honda accord last week on the interstate at 5:00 pm in a sleet storm. Wipers were doing there job until the clip came off the wiper blade and blade slings off. So I'm in the median trying to rectify this problem. I thought I would take the other wiper arm off. Finally I said F... it and drove w/out wipers with my head out the window. It really happened!!! I'd like to Get me some Soccer Mom!!!

30. slammed

slammed