Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Why I love living in L.A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLLIN, Jun 29, 2012.

1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Such a fine 49 coupe. Dammmm

2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

in post #7 the 4th car down,what is it. above the 40 sedan and below the 4dr olds?

3. hershambob

hershambob

wow were are you,its been loverly in the hersham hood today,ps graet pics thanks for takin the time to post

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

Yup. I figured I would get some of that..
    Thanks for all your posts in the history of la thread mazooma.

5. '40 Hudson.

6. bbbronc

bbbronc

not sure but it looks like a '39 hudson to me

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

Not true! Real Native californian's are the most down to earth mellow and open minded people. Its all the Dumb asses that come here from other places. haha

Yeah, I googled it and it does look like a 39 hudson.

8. I looked it up in my Standard Guide To Independents and it's identical to a photo labeled '40 Hudson.

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

10. robber

robber

How cool was all of that?:cool: That took me back to what I remember as a kid! That was crazy fun to look at... thanks for sharing!

11. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Always had a question about a movie like this. When they need period correct cars, trucks etc, do they put out a cattle call for owners to rent out their vehicles? Same on the houses in this neighborhood, are they compensated for the use of their street? I am sure it must make every day life a challenge till the shoot is over for the day.
    Cool houses, My grand mother lived in a similar type of house in Dallas till she died. The family sold the dirt ( house was great but not worth much) the house sat on for over $300,000.00. The new owner buldozed the house and built the biggest,ugliest piece of crap you ever saw. Progress I guess but that doesn't always mean its better.

Mike

12. Great cars and great pictures. Thanks.:cool:

13. Gromit

Gromit

I had my car used in a movie.. I didn't get a lot of money out of it, but they replaced the windshield, painted it and did a tune up on it. When they lost part of the interior trim, they replaced it with new reproduction stuff at my choice. I guess it depends on the company as to how much they do to compensate.

14. I wouldn't live anywhere else......Thanks Ollin......

15. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks for posting, left Los Angeles a long time ago, but returned to Pasadena last Oct for HS reunion, and, passing All Saints Church (where my grandmother once attended), they were shooting a TV series, and a few old cars on the street, wish I had thought to take a picture or two of them)

Sure, Los Angeles has it problems (what city doesn't!) but there is still a lot left of the old LA like the neighborhood you show with the craftsman bungalows, still a pretty cool city ....thanks again for posting!

16. Visited LA in 2008 and one of the great things was that they were filming everywhere. We always went and asked for access to the set and we were never refused.

17. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Entertainment industry studios and production companies have their own vehicle coordinators or use contractors who rent vehicles from individuals for movie/TV work. There are also rental companies who specialize in "movie" vehicles, especially specialized ones such as police cars, taxis, trucks, etc. I was in Burbank one day, and saw a movie vehicle rental company big rig hauling a freshly painted and lettered (fictitious name) armored car.

Compensation for location shoots depends on whatever the market will bear. The town in which I live occasionally is used for location and commercial work since the main street has a quaint "any town - any time" appearance. The local merchants get a few bucks (depending on how intrusive the shoot is) and sometimes some cosmetic work on their buildings, but no one is getting rich off the deal. Some residential neighborhoods are used frequently for location filming which has become an issue because of traffic, congestion, inconvenience, etc. for a significant number of days each year. In some cases, neighborhood groups have been successful in restricting the number of location work days and/or have received financial compensation.

The City of Los Angeles has very specific permit rules, regulations and security requirements, especially in the event of night shoots, pyrotechnics, low-flying helicopters, etc.

I used to do business with some of the studio departments, suppliers and rental companies. Generally, pretty nice people to deal with ... mostly the people who make the entertainment industry work, not the "talent" or the "suits"

18. Unfortunately there are also horror stories involving vintage cars and production companies. I am a big movie buff, but I hate seeing a vintage car destroyed in a non-period movie, when some expensive late-model could be smashed to equal effect.

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i have a pic of my uncle from years back up in Canada somewhere, when they were filming the Tucker movie. he's standing in the middle of the street looking pretending he went back in time while everybody around him in town is wearing 40's clothes..it was pretty cool..