Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why dont you sell it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.smith, Jul 5, 2009.

1. mr.smith

mr.smith

is it just me or do you hear more often from family or friends
    sayin' Sell it! about your ride.

i just wana say why dont you fuck yourself!
    its not about the money its about workin' on something with a past nd history but makin' it your own.

anyone with stories or opinions?

2. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

I was going to sell mine once and my wife said no way.

3. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

The only reason to sell something, is you need money for the next something. A constant in hot rodding, is we get bored with our rides after awhile. My kid used to ask if he can have my car when I die. I'd always say "I don't expect to own it that long." Now he has his own shit, and is happy.

People in Hollywood can collect cars and shit, but the rest of us trailer trash have to do it in one-sies and two-sies...

4. mr.smith

mr.smith

no i understand that,
    but its the people telling you to sell it for the sake of selling it, the ppl who dont care for what it is

5. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I have the one only if I sold it, It might be a long time befor I got another one.
    Besides mine is slowly changing and evolving a little money at a time.

6. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

If I had to explain, they wouldn't understand. So I keep my cars and don't give anything about family's opinion.

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Tell them your Passion for the car is like a Meth Head addicted to Speed.

Then ask them if they would rather have a Tweaker as a relitive.

Its my Way of Dealing with the rest of this Fucked Up Society !

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm down to the keepers now, and will figure out some other way to pay off the balance on the kids college bills. I've always thought it was odd when that moment arrives that the car you have had dreams of finishing becomes a lump you want to sell. Once I deside I want out of it i follow through and don't look back with any regrets. Sure crap I sold 30 years ago is worth a ton of money, but I sold it for what it was worth then. NEVER had a family member or friend suggest I sell anything, it's my hobby.

9. Tell them they won't like you if you do sell. It's true.

10. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

When I bought my '34, the guy said, I dont know why Im selling this, I will never have another '34...he was most likely right unless he saves his pennys...I say build and sell until you get the one "keeper"...in my case, the '34 stops here..what my son does with it after Im gone, who knows...but then again he is not due to be born until next week...hahahaha

BUT, Im not a fan of the guy who buys alot of shit jut to collect dust and rust and say, Im gonna build a cool hot rod one day...thats a dick, dont be a dick! lol

and if your wife isnt down with your hot rod, get a new wife! Lucky for me, my wife is cool!!

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Next time look closely at the people who say that and how they spend their leisure hours.

Betcha they sit in a chair and the closest they get to real activity is being a sports fan and living vicariously thru others. And they think that's how you're supposed to live life.

Take pity on them. Don't be angry. They really don't know any better and never will.

12. 'Zactly . You hit the nail on the head Shifty.

13. screwball

screwball

To most people old cars are about investment ($$$$$$$$$) they do not understand passion especially of the boomer generation if its not about the Quick flip they dont care. Just walk around a typical car show and see how many are wearing Barret Jackson shirts as if they are cool.

14. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I work 40+ hours for the Navy, and a second job on top of that to cover my mortgage, car habit and other bills... my Girlfriend says "at least its better than heroin!"
    (at least she gets it!)

My family lives in Pennsylvania and they could care less about cars.... I am the true black sheep and I love it!!

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Realize that attitude prevails on both ends of the spectrum. Yeah there's a lot of passion and talent and time and sweat put into em, but in the end they're all just buckets of bolts. And there will always be another bucket of bolts. :D

16. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

HMMMMM,

I assume Me & most of the guys i know must be Real Big Dicks !

Any one who is Really into Cars around here have a Fair amount of Cool stuff for projects Now & Future Builds.

I like having more than Just one Project to work on.

17. screwball

screwball

Im a bit of a dick as well 5 projects on the go nothing on the road and GAVE 4 46-47 ford trucks to a friend to build. I hate DICKS!!!!!!

18. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Yea, I got stuff too, I was refering to guys who have stuff that justs sits and they are not building or selling and you know it will never be used...like hot rods and cars rotting in some fuckers yard!!! Not guys that are collecting parts and will use them......

19. well I wanted to sell a car and my wife said no
    so i landed up droping the insurance and not driving it
    yesterday she wants to go with it to the lakes and cruise, so i said no insurance and car sits
    and i am gonna sell it and buy another , its time to move up the feeding chain before termination:eek:

maybee next time I will do what I want to do and maybee if she is nice she can go crusing

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

OMG,,whine whine whine,,and hell ya see stuff all the time you might not need but think "hey one day" so ya grab it..I have stuff like that from High School days,and it never fails soon as I get rid of it month or so later go looking for it and the DUH,,

Personally I think this thread is lame,,your stuff is your stuff no matter what it is ,,and if folks are bitching about it..time to find other people to be around

21. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

No it's NOT !!

22. DrJ

DrJ

What irks the hell out of me is the "You can get a lot of money for that!" crap you hear from some people about EVERY FUCKING THING!
    I acquire "things" only because I want to possess them myself, not to see if I can turn them to someone else for a few lousy dollars.

Somewhere along the line there's got to be the actual real collectors, not just a bunch of hucksters who are only clogging up and infecting most hobbies with their gotta make a buck on it crap.

The other thing is, and usually the same people say; "I could have got that for you cheaper!"
    LAst time I heard that one I told the guy I was going to put a dog collar and chain on him and drag him around every where I go so when I"m about to buy something he can stop me and get it for me cheaper... He stopped saying it, in fact, he quit coming around! :D

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  23. vintagered13

vintagered13

I get that shit from family as well. "Well once you're done with it, you can run it for a few months then sell it for something better." The compliments I get from people about it far outweigh the money I would get from it. It's just one of those factors that come with building and saving old tin. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, then your missing out.

24. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I damn near sold my 55 chev. because of family and to fund the 36 Ford build but no way in hell, I'm not any where near done with it yet and don't plan to be for a long time

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I always end up selling everything!
    All my friends say "What the hell did you do that for?"
    Seems like whenever I finish a car I lose interest in it and I'm off to the next project.

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I actually thought about selling my roadster once. Guy offered me what I thought was big bucks. I asked him what he would do with it. He said put disk brakes on it. I told him he didn't didn't deserve to won my car. Get out of here.

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv been threw that shit so many times I cant count em all.
    If you sell your cool shit to try and make someone happy (wife?) it only lasts a few days. They always find something else to bitch about. It’s not the stuff, it’s them.

28. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

those same people would say "why did you sell it" ? after you did ..I believe they are looking for a reaction because they are bored,just another distaction in the game of life.
    too bad they can't say something encouraging once in a while [​IMG]

29. dmw56

dmw56

I still have my first car a 1950 Studebaker Champion. My dad bought it in 1969 for $50. I have 6 finished cars and 5 projects. My family gave up on me years ago.

30. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Hey, I wear a Barrett Jackson T-shirt, got it for a buck at a swapmeet. I would sell it long before I would sell one of my rides.