Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why don't 37 Ford coupes get any love?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrblack30, Sep 15, 2009.

1. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I'm partial to '37s. they did make a very small roadster production of 1,250..love to have one!

Attached Files:

2. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

sorry about the pic, but here is a pic of a '37 roadster ad that was in the brochure that came out in '37. love to find one of these in a old barn somewhere.

Attached Files:

32SEDAN likes this.
  3. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Take a lesson kids, These ol boys know what they are talking about.
    Right on with the history guys! Danny Brent WAS the man behind making the 37 so popular. Hell, he polluted my brain on 37 Fords back then. My Dad was from San Diego too and his first real Hot Rod was titian red 37 coupe, flatty V8, dago axle, steelies and caps and straight pipes. 1957.

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Come on. It's 2012 now. The youngest early V8 is 64 years old now, and the oldest is 80. The rules of 40 years ago simply do not apply any more. Cherry original bodies like the coupe this thread is all about are few and far between. Being choosey about which year is really going too far. Some years and body styles lend themselves better to rodding than others. All are great restored or mildly rodded. If that '37 coupe were restored with a late model hot flathead, 39 transmission and hydraulic brakes. Lower the suspension and you've got a great old car for about $15K. Try building a '32 or '40 for that much.

5. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish my coupe body was in as good a condition as that one for sale, and just the same, I wish that my coupe ute body was in as good a condition as the one shown a couple of pages back.
    Michael

6. I flat out love all 37 Fords, especially the big window Opera Coupes.

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine (not a Hot Rodder) sent me an ad for a Minotti bodied 37 for sale and asked me what I thought. I replied they were well built cars, but certainly not my style of car. When I sent the email back, I realized I don't have many pictures of 37 Fords saved. So I found this link last night to see what was posted here. Not many pictures. So,here are a couple more local 37's .
    Ed Welch’s 427 SOHC , (Injected Cammer Motor)
    [​IMG]
    Alfin’s 37 Coupe (one of his "daily driver's" ) sporting it’s original paint, interior, etc.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

I've always liked the 37 coupes and it seems like it's hard to find ones these days that aren't painted turquoise with tweed interior. A friend of mine that passed away had one and I really wanted to buy it but didn't have the cash at the time

9. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Here's one I found, not my style, but it fixes the one thing I hate about 37 Fords.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  10. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I love 37s. Here is my old one. Its now owned by HAMber in San Francisco. [​IMG]

Hank37 and Slopok like this.
  11. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nicest I've ever seen. Ron

Attached Files:

• jax.jpg
      jax.jpg
      File size:
      265.3 KB
      Views:
    MO_JUNK likes this.
  12. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

13. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

To me, this one has got the look! This is how 37's should be set up.

Slopok likes this.
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Who you callin' an "old boy" there Jimmy! I'm your age! But I did grow up in this stuff too, just like you did... So I will take that aa a major compliment!!! I'm kidding of course!

15. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I said ol-not old. I am your friend, remember. Ha-ha

16. Back when I was in school yet Ford coupes and sedans from '35 to 39 were deemed not neat hot rod material, we were wrong. In the upper midwest, at least, tail-draggers and thirties customs were hardly ever seen. "Lead sleds were almost always Mercs.

17. My favorite 37 coupe.. Ryan Reeds

[​IMG]

I just stole this picture

[​IMG]

I seen this thing on the street, in Pomona... amazing car! And the Halibrands are beautiful! Spindle mounts

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a guy in my drafting class in high school had a nice 37 HOT ROD coupe. the day after the "California Kid" came out some numb nut comes up to him and says the CA Kid was exactly like his 37. then he began arguing with him when he said they were different.

so if civillians think they look like 34 Fords, they can't be considered ugly.

19. Spike!

Spike!

They just started growing on me more in the past few years..Big John's car is just amazing to look at, and really was a key car to changing my mind about 37's. Kind of like Clark's Sport Coupe..never really liked them until I saw one done right. even still, they don't hit me the way a 33-36 does..or a 39/40 Merc or Ford does..but they have moved up from totally un-desirable in my book..

Spike

20. inkstain27

inkstain27

Took the words right out of my mouth, I would love to have a slant back.

21. Yeah Ryan's car is the perfect example of a "hot rod" 37 and I can vouch for its speed and handling. Great car. But custom wise this does it for me...

Taking the hamb to the streets ;)

Attached Files:

22. Unbelievable.. that is an instant classic! Wow

[​IMG]

23. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

I never really looked closely at these cars until this thread because the 39-40 is so often done right. But .... I would think that the 37 could be made wicked with a roof chop and a narrowed rear end with a BBC out of a station wagon.

24. I've always liked this year model. I'd love to have one.

25. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

i perfer the nose on a 37 over 38 39 and 40 grill and front clip.smooth and clean.

26. luvsjunkalot

luvsjunkalot

my Dad raced one himself .. I can't get the pic , to upload .. ???

27. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

And here is how it looks now . . .

[​IMG]
    QUOTE=fuel pump;7374041]I love 37s. Here is my old one. Its now owned by HAMber in San Francisco. [/QUOTE]

28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe it's my age, but I'm liking these Club Coupes (a lot!) I remember 25 years ago thinking how ugly that roof line was. Now I like it. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  29. I like 37s!!!! But I ALSO love Boston Terriers!

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

As this is such an old thread we (as in my wife) is now the owner of a '37 humpback 2dr. At the time this thread was in it's prime I was starting the build of a '40 Coupe for her. My friend ,who builds high end hot rods, had one of his earlier builds come up for sale. As it was built for a woman and painted two tone red/black w/grey leather interior it gave off a kinda feminine vibe. She took one look, had to have it and the '40 went up for sale the next day. When Mama is happy, everyone is happy.:) I have to admit it IS more comfortable on long trips than the '32. It should with independent front suspension, but with the heat,air, and auto it is a car more suited for her tastes.

Frank