Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why don't 37 Ford coupes get any love?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrblack30, Sep 15, 2009.

1. it's not a coupe but it's a 37'! gonna try and add it to my collection and its a runner with a flathead. hasn't seen the road in 25 years.

Attached Files:

MO_JUNK likes this.
  2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

37 ford coupe or sedan flat backs are in the top five of my all time favorite cars.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

37s, 38s both Standard and DeLuxe, and 39 Standard cars have always been the orphans of the Ford parade, BUT that means by coverage in magazines not builds in the "realworld". The 37 has always been a popular one for guys and gals who just like 'em or just couldn't find anything else available or affordable.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Magoozi, You hit that one right! Danny Brent out of San Deigo is the one that really pulled '37's into the limelight. He's always been a real quiet trendsetter. Django, that is right They made very few of them, and the windshields did not unbolt as traditional roadsters would, but there were no side windows. I didn't believe that '37 roadsters were real for years then I got to see one in the flesh. If you doubt '37's and such were considered ugly ducklings, pick up any copy of ROD&CUSTOM from the late sixties. They ran Orve Elgies '37 sedan delivery on the cover in '69 or '70, and actually recieved some hate mail! Also look at any of their VINTAGE TIN monthly sections that they ran back then, and you'll see the ambivalence towards these cars in those days. That's why so many ended their days as jalopy racers getting beat up on dirt tracks. For the record, they have always been on of my favorite body styles, although make mine a '38 standard flatback tudor.

5. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

85K miles
    Orig. paint / interior
    286" Merc w/ 2 97's
    Schweet.

Attached Files:

hfh and Baron like this.
  6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Now THAT'S Bitchin.

7. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I'm kinda shocked about the 'lack of love' toward '37 Fords. Although my interests mainly lie in '55-and-newer hot rods, there are a few '30's-40's vehicles that really ring my bell and '37 Fords are one of 'em. I've always loved those headlights in the front fenders.......that looks great and is a very nice styling feature! Another early Ford that REALLY gets to me are 1949 Ford Club Coupes. Mmmmmm...HMMM!

8. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

i like the 4 doors better then coupes.

9. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Thanks for the new desktop image!

[​IMG]

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I always thought all these new custom '35-36 Ford 3w coupe builds would look great with a '37 nose. It's more deco and flows a little better IMO. :) Probably fairly complicated to fit and transition the sheetmetal, but that's what experts are good at.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have had this old coupe just on 25 years , got married in it , kids were squashed in the back seat in carrycots. Been through a couple of rebuilds. Now back to its original build with the blown flathead. Yet back then it was considered an ugly duckling. Now you can get yourself any style of glass body.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    32SEDAN likes this.
  12. phukinartie

phukinartie

13. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Sorry for the terrible scans. The info is from "Illustrated History Of Ford". See info below.

Attached Files:

14. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

the one in the pic in fatabones (Junior) reply #20 is mine, done by Junior, Clark, Scary Larry, and a host of other helpers, always thought i wanted an "A" coupe but now really glad i kept this one for 35 years, and got to drive it this year for the FIRST time! Look at the post "Big John 37 does York, and owns it!" for details - they may once have been ugly ducklings, and made great stock cars, but now they are just great HOT RODS!

15. I really think they make a great rod, this ones mine. Drat..I think my bumpers are the wrong way up too. .

Attached Files:

32SEDAN likes this.
  16. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I saw one today driving down the road, cream with wire wheels, looked SWEET! The 37 looks like the offspring between a 40 Ford and a 34 Ford...hahaha!

17. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I liked mine and will get another one someday.

Attached Files:

hfh and MO_JUNK like this.
  18. Clark

Clark

Dug...I got to see a nice collection of 37's this past weekend. I think he needs help!! :)
    Clark

19. Mootz

Mootz

I know this post is about coupes but anytime I think of 37 anything, this car flashes through my mind. Every year at Des Moines GG, this makes my top 5 regardless how many times I've seen it. Nebraska '37 courtesy of Malcolm:
    [​IMG]

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

A few more with a traditional vib

[​IMG]

Heres some pictures from old movies..

I like this UTE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanna see something cool check this out 100's of pages...

http://imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Ford_model-V8.html

[​IMG]

Movie 1968 and a transplanted rat rod?? mmm/

[​IMG]

Back to now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's just something about black on black that screams old ford.
    I seen this at a Ford Meet just beautiful.

[​IMG]

Heres one of mine with a little enhancement..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  21. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey jr black30...the reason they were considered ugly. well is simple- in those days a rod wasnt a rod if it had fenders. you dig! you ever see a 37 without fenders NUF SAID!!! call me pop.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The old timers with a good memory (can that happen?:eek::D) will recall a guy by the name of Orv Elgie who built a '37 sedan Delivery. It was at the height of the restorod era and it a was a smashing success. After that I recall seeing more and more '37's. As noted Danny Brent did his part in furthering the '37 cause as he would come up with a new rendition almost every year for awhile.
    Also the scarsity of earlier iron also contributed to bringing the '37 to the forefront. Now any '37 in decent shape (and some not so decent) will be eagerly bought up to become part of the hot rod cause.

Frank

23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love these "Ugly Ducklings".......

1937 Ford Club Coupe 1.jpg 1937 Club Coupe.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I gotta throw the Card. I opened this thing on page one just to find this thread was ancient, and better off dead.

Attached Files:

27. I've alwase loved em. My dad bought a coupe for me when I was 4. Between him & I we have 3. 2 coupes and a 2 door hump back. I like this one that just got finished. I think it was in a recent Rodders Journal. I've also been a fan of the red one posted earlier.

Attached Files:

32SEDAN likes this.
  28. Scumdog

Scumdog

I guess one '37 Ford gets my love - I'm building a gasser-style '37 coupe:D

29. desotot

desotot

37 Fords get the thumbs up from me.