Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why does my T5 whine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Sep 30, 2013.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I have a whine sound that I believe is coming from my trans. Is it normal for them to whine? It's filled with fluid and seems to fun fine, but it whines in all gears.

It's from an 85 S10, tag #1352-145. It's behind a 235 with a 10 3/4 clutch in my 51 Chevy 2 dr with a 56 Chevy rear end. I just changed the axle bearings in the rear and if I push in the clutch, no whine.

2. Get the wheels off the ground on a lift and run it with someone checking under the car. Sounds more like a rear end than trans. Does it do it at all speeds?

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why does it whine? Maybe it's female :D

4. BarryA

BarryA

Buddy of mine says: 'A whining gearbox is like a whining child - it won't die if you ignore it....'

Not sure that I would follow that advice without knowing what the cause is.

5. usmile4

usmile4

It's most noticeable at lower speeds but I'm pretty sure it is doing it at higher speeds but the pipes cover it up. If it was the rear end, wouldn't it still do it when clutch is in?

6. If the noise goes away when you push in the clutch, look at the throwout bearing first, then the front bearing in the trans and the pilot bearing/bushing in the crank. Any one of these could be the whine...

If you pull the trans, replace the plot bearing in any case; it's cheap insurance.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's really Lambrecht.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it a fresh throwout bearing?

9. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I have experienced the same problem twice before on different transmissions. And the fix was as Crazy Steve described.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. oh no...groan (or maybe that should be...whine)

11. usmile4

usmile4

New throw out bearing and pilot bearing.

12. oldolds

oldolds

Does the whine change pitch with gear changes, or engine speed or m.p.h?
    If it seems steady with the m.p.h. I would suspect rear. Pushing in the clutch changes pressure on the bearings. With engine speed suspect throw-out bearing or front trans bearing. Changing with gear changes, something in trans.

Of course your results may vary.