Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why does my 39 trans keep popping out of second gear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeltramp brian, Sep 20, 2018.

1. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

So here's the story 29 Roadster 32 frame 8ba motor, 39 trans, torque tube, banjo rear end .just replaced the detent balls and spring on the shift tower and put a new rebuilt shifter in. everything is tight and shifts great now . But the the problem is still there from before. upon deceleration it still pops out of second gear.any thoughts? Also the clutch Chatters but only in reverse what's up with that?so I made a nice anti chatter rod but didn't help. 15374589219691408952315.jpg 1537458953232662433746.jpg 15374589904121258736850.jpg and pics cause everyone likes pics

2. squirrel

squirrel

is there wear on the sides of the splines that engage 2nd gear?

3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Everything looked nice inside. No burs or chips.syncros looked good.all I have is a bad pic before I buttoned it up.there is a little gowge at the front that i saw though IMG_20180919_161205.jpg

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put in new syncro's.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

6. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

1537460618608756459353.jpg 15374606434921538131764.jpg 15374606434921538131764.jpg just found the reverse chatter I think. The torque tube moves in and out about 3/8 of an inch. I've got the rear end down to grease the rear spring and noticed the play.i have a new ujoint on the shelf.guess I'll pop the clamshell off and see

7. you need to check the endplay the for second gear gear, and the cluster endplay. if the endplay is sloppy on the cluster and second gear, it will start popping out of gear real quick. the down side is sometimes the case is worn for the cluster gear and an off the shelf thrust washer wont be enough, the you need to either look for another case or have a custom thrust washer made for it. Also there is a bushing inside or the gear for second, if that is worn a little, alone with slightly loose endplay for the gear and the cluster, everything can look like it should be right on the edge of fine, but the looseness adds up and causes second to start popping out.

302GMC and squirrel like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

The torquetube moves in and out 3/8"? That's horrible! The torquetube shouldn't move at all up there. Do you have the inner cup installed over the U joint before you bolt up the torquetube?

The second slipping problem is usually attributed to too much clearance on the assembly inside the case. Some guys will say replace syncros, others will say it's the case wear on the back inside face, and needs a thicker thrust washer. Search for this same question (it's been asked a hundred times before) and believe whatever Mac VanPelt says should be done.

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

you nailed it Nailhead Jason! At least that was my experience with the same problem. Buy or borrow Van Pelts book on the early ford transmission Wheeltramp. Hope you get it sorted out. It is no fun having that tranny pop out of second when you need that compression.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Typical syncro problem.

Gary

11. I doubt its a syncro issue, if the trans has been gone through, then its almost certainly had new blocker (syncro rings) rings installed in it. Plus it sounds like it goes in and out of gear easily, it just wont stay in second gear. Every one I have seen with this issue ended up being a combination of slop all over on the inside that just added up to enough to drive it back out of second gear when the is load put on second gear causing the syncro to slightly be engaged (due to the slop) and then pulling it out of gear. they need to be tight but not too tight. I don't have my book with all the specs at work with me, but I can just about promise you, that all the internals are just on the edge of too loose and causing it to pop out. hopefully 20 bucks worth of thrust washers and possibly a new bushing for second gear will take care of it. Definitely get the Van Pelts book, and go to his website and order a catalog. tons of good info in the catalog, along with diagrams and parts exchanges.

dana barlow and squirrel like this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

OK,you got some good stuff on pop out of 2,but here a idea about "Chatters but only in reverse",likely rear tranny mount sloopy/soft lets chatter happen.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  13. oldolds

oldolds

Put a hook on the dash to hold it in second gear. That is the traditional way to fix that problem. There were many race cars around here with that set up.

14. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

This is a customer's car and someone had assembled the chassis before I got to it .I pulled the clamshell off the back to find the U-joint wasted. The trans mounts weren't great either. Just put a new U-joint in and new gaskets all back together and and tightened up the mounts. I do have the Mac Van Pelt transmission book at home so after work I'll go through it and check out some things. Thanks everybody I'll report back later or tomorrow