Register now to get rid of these ads!

why do you SO CALLED "hotrodders" hate 55-57 chevys???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam F., Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

that has bothered me for a LONG time since ive been on this site...

i just posted to a thread a minute ago about that,,,but figured it needed its own thread....

i dont understand how ANYONE can consider themselves a hotroder and not dig 55-57 chevys....unless they are uniformed and like to follow the shepard...when ever someone says that here on the HAMB i first think,,either they must be a newbie,,or they are trying to be COOL by saying that,......

2. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I just don't like the overchromed, billet, "lemme see how many things I can chrome in my engine bay," crybaby doll, I just dropped $20k on a 502 crate motor from GM Performance but I only drive it on and off the trailer, type ones. Other than that I think they are great!

3. eric

eric

personally, i'm not a fan of '57 chevys, i think '55 hard tops and nomads and '56s are much nicer and simpler. BUT...i get sick of seeing them always done exactly the same, when i first saw your '56 dude my jaw dropped, some one finally had the balls to break the mold. Bo Huffs recreation of the Barris '55 was a breath of fresh air as well. Me personally, i own a '55 chevy and i'm hoping to make an impact just the same way you did....wish me luck!;)

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I am all about the '56. It's actually one of my favorites. Your red n white one kicks ass. So there!

5. ...my guess is that it's the perfect car to screw up. you know, plop your freshly wife sown crying baby doll next to...the cars that people don't know how to set the right stance etc... and not to mention all the fucked up color combinations i've seen on them...i don't think it's the actual year of the car, but that it's been the "ideal" car to all the gold chainers and weekend warriors PAY to have built ala 1-800.

of course my .02 is going for far less these days:D

-marty

but good going on speaking up...i've often thought the same thing, and that's the best i could come up with.

6. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Didn't know anybody hated 55-57 chevys. The 57 is my least favorite of the group but I'd still like to have one.

7. I don't hate them! But I would only own a STOCK one though. Maybe a Gasser style one. American Graffitti style,of course...

8. I'd personally lop off a left nut for a 56 Nomad. Both nuts for the one Cole built. Maybe that begins to explain the inspiration for my 65 Burb. So, anyone with a nomad out there need an spare nut?

9. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i like them as mild kustoms!!!

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't think anyone really hates tri-five chevys... It's just that they are so cliche...

I don't care though, I'm currently looking for a tri-year wagon...

11. old beet

old beet

I figger its about midnite in Kentucky about now. Butt don't have to work on turkey day, so he has (like me) had a few drinks. This has been buggin him for a long time, so this is a big FUCK YOU to all you haters! Go Butt Go!.......OLDBEET

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sam, its because they are a bellybutton car (like the camaro or mustang) and so many are owned by uptight purist... I really dont like 75% of the 55-57's out there (except the longroofs), probably because most are restored and boring to look at, yet I own one. As I have aged, the specific years I like have changed.. When I was young the 57 was the car, then it was the 55 as I really like the boxy look (but I like a number of boxy styles GM has built over the years).. not until your 56 did my eyes open regarding the 56 style and I really start to appreciate the lines of the 56 (and started wanting one).. Ended up with a 57 and will do my best to ensure it does not end up looking like the boring 55-57 rides I dislike.

13. 56 is one of the best body styles ever.

14. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

dont get me wrong! i feel the same way too,,i hate going to a car show and seing them all fluffed up,,sitting up to stock height,every billet acesorie...makes my wana gag....,,,but how many 32 fords have we seen in our life time all fucked up too....

that shit with them all billetedized and crap is mostly a 90's-current thing with the exception of the gassers being built today....
    i grew up in the time before that when these cars were king.....

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am getting tired of faux gassers........oh geez, did I just say that?

I had a 56 9 pass wagon and it was a great car......

16. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I guess it's different worlds. People my age that don't know any better think they came that way...with all the billet swag. I guess that's why I like learning about the old days of hot rodding. I think every car has those few(or in some cases several owners) that screw up a car at least by what we would like.

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I don't know to many people that hate them. But a few guys are right they definetely show up at cruise ins and show with numerous tri fives that have been cosmetically abused. I see to many of them running around with either a Fucking retarded bowtie decal or any other stick on add on shit you can buy from your local parts store. it is like some people need a good old cuff up side the head for doing some of the things they have to these cars. As for hating them I have to say HELL NO , I LOVE MY 55 and it is not all decorated up or billet it will be a hardcore get in trouble car.

18. TxRat

TxRat

I own a 57 chevy nomad. I drove it to highschool and is currently in the care of my dad until my shop is built. It has one of his old detuned dirt track motors in it (327 .030, M-22 4 spd. My dad wants to build it up like a gasser so thats the plan.

He has had the car as long as he has had me. Aint goin NOWHERE!!

19. weez

weez

'57 Belairs have been crammed down my throat my whole life, If I could be objective, I'm sure I would think they're beautiful, but... I always call them the Barbie dream car. That gasser that Kevin Sledge had was neat though, and I like the one Roth had. And that candy green one in the Southard book...
    maybe I do like 'em. hmmm.

20. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

hahah,,its only ELEVEN !,,but yeah...your right! haha

21. Gorehound

Gorehound
    from Delaware

57BelAir2LeftSide.jpg

57BelAir2RightSide3.jpg

This was mine for 21 years. I still like them but just got tired of it.
    It was black cherry and alot lower before these pics!

22. ...a TOAST to Sam...and OLD BEET cause i'm drinking too:D

23. Big Tony

Big Tony

You know it ain't me cause one of the rides that still get me is your old Orange/light blue and silver topped 55-56 with the heavy flake. I still have that saved in my computer. I know exactly what your talking about...i get tired of going to shows and it is all about the all mighty coupe, Don't get me wrong i dig coupes but there are more kewl cars other than coupes.

24. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

No hatin' here. I loves me some tri fives. Especially the 55.

Doc.

25. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Project X.......

26. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

yeah,,i know what your saying Ken...,,,i had a 68 camaro that i drove all through high school and loved the fuck out of that car,,it was just a plain jain but hotrodded out,,,skinnys and bigs,nose down etc,,,where i live now all ever body wants is a 69 Z28 camaro done up all original...,,,i have gotten to the point all long time ago that i hate even hearing someone say 69 camaro...but deep down inside ,,i still want to recreate that 68 camaro i had,,,:D...

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Yeah Here are some pics of mine. The one is how I found it.

Attached Files:

28. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I traded the convesrsion van in the back round for this one just the way you see it.

29. Short Bull

Short Bull

I like to think of days when these were a dime a dozen. Junkyards chalk full , in feilds, and junkpiles, and it was easy for a poor boy to get his hands on one. My 55 has seen thousands of miles on dirt raods and is a pure reservation survivor..(that alone is amazing!)

Its the soul of the car, thats what calls to me. She likes the praries and long stretches of open road. My 55 didnt say anything to me about cliche's or billet, just to be the best I can make her.

30. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.