Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Why do you like Ford, Chevy, Dodge,etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I've had all kinds of old cars and trucks. Buicks, Pontiacs, Chevys, and Fords. No Mopars yet. I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. I just like what I like. Why fence yourself into one brand?

2. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

That's it exactly . You can founder metal a time or two but heat is heat . Look at LS engines . I've seen plenty of them sit for two years and not rebuildable . No tensile or hydrogen protection unless it's engineered in and what does they get ? Metallurgist told me 7 to 15 % loss of strength so they add other elements in . Obviously they aren't putting enough nickel in anymore

Deuces and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  3. I grew up around nothing but Fords and Dodges; my dad had owned one Chevrolet in the late 30's and said he couldn't get rid of it fast enough. He'd had bad luck with it and would never have another one. So it was natural for me to start out with Fords; though I really liked the OT Mopars I drove later on. I had one Chevy, a '35, and worked on a few sbc's when I was younger but never got hooked on them. Then as I got older I started to see nothing but chevy's in rods which really turned me off. I'm not anti-GM, as I now have Cadillacs in both my Fords and ran an Olds 394 in my F-1 panel truck. Just can't get on the chevy band-wagon...

4. topher5150

topher5150

Growing up my dad usually had an old Ford in one way or another, plus his prized possession 68 Shelby GT350 so it was all blue for us.

5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

You left out intakes.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Now days, they shoot each other..... I don't get it!.....:rolleyes:

Desoto291Hemi and 210superair like this.
  7. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Yup, 1996 - 1998 vortec head requireds irs own intake, but the 57 and up 283 - 350 blocks accepts the vortec head with its intake :rolleyes: they bolt on but not sure if the larger Vortec head valves clear the small bore of the 55-57 265.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  8. Brand loyalty can change in a heartbeat.
    My mother always bought Chrysler products from a fellow she went to school with as a young girl.
    He practically gave the business to his soninlaw.
    She went down to the dealership with cash in purse (always paid cash in full).
    He told her to come back the following week as he was busy.
    She got into her car and drove to the next town and bought a Chevy Nova, the
    Chrysler dude went out of business a year or two later.
    Myself, I'll drive anything that starts and stops and passes a good number of gas pumps.

Flathead Freddie and Deuces like this.
  9. ratfink500xl

ratfink500xl
    from Renton, WA

I like Fords because I am a glutton for punishment. No matter how much it hurts, I keep coming back for more…

10. finn

finn

But that’s a false flag argument if you look at the bigger picture. Ford had eight different patterns ( I didn’t count them) that covered Ford, Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln, and Ford trucks , vs some unknown number from GM that covered Chevy, Corvair, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, GMC truck, and Chevy truck. Plus, add front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive and the late Corvette and Tempest transaxles.

I bet the totals aren’t much different if you look at all postwar Engine / transmission/flywheel diameter / drive layout offerings.

Fingers and Deuces like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I mostly look at swapping different V8s when I'm building a hot rod, and Chevy had one bolt pattern, period. Ford had the Y block, FE, MEL, early Windsor, later Windsor/Cleveland. and 385/M. I'm just looking at the 50s-70s, too. It's a mess.

12. Why a Ford?

In my case it's probably because I purchased my first car at the age of 12, it was a Ford but not just any Ford, it was a 1932 Ford 5 window coupe.

I didn't know anything about old cars but it bought it from our neighbor and had seen it in his shed for the last two summers I mowed his lawn.

Long story short, this car was not destined to spend it's days with me, my dad put his foot down and that was it.

I moved on a eventually bought another Ford, this time with my dad's approval but that 32 stayed in the back of my mind but I moved on, I was content to enjoy a long list of Fords but in my mid 20's I thought about pre war hot rods and found a model a to build, that led to several other model A's, then a long list of 1940 Fords and eventually back to 1932 Fords, 10 to date.

I don't have anything against the other makes, I've even thought about building a '55 Chevy, but truth be told sitting side by side for the same money i would be more apt to take the '32 home.

Why a Ford? - Why not? HRP

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim that’s the one thing I’ll never figure out about the Ford engine engineers. If they would have made the bell housing bolting to the block all the same from 54 up there would be a lot more Fords left. I’m guessing to was done to force obsolescence. They did the same for water pumps. At times you need to know the month and day your Ford engine was assembled. Really stupid

warbird1 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. i just like the crown vics for dailies, and prefer the ford styling over Chevrolet, and Chryslers just rot away up here.

Flathead Freddie likes this.
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's definitely a place where Chevy did things right! Even when they switched to the later one piece rear main seals, and roller cams, the newer engines still accepted the old SBC heads, and bellhousings. And even the latest OT LS engines will accept an old TH350, or TH400 bolted right up to them. They could have easily changed things, but by leaving them alone they opened the door for a lot of hotrodder's engine swaps.

Desoto291Hemi and squirrel like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Virtually no one on this whole planet who considers themselves to be a hot rodder is not familiar with the term "smallblock Chevy". I think that says a lot.

My first few cars were all Fords. My all time favorite car is a 32 Ford. Availability, parts prices,interchangability, reliability, all culminating in outstanding power outputs for reasonable prices favor Chevy engines. There are probably more smallblock Chevys powering hot rods than ALL OTHER ENGINES COMBINED. I think that says a lot too.

Sorry Lloyd, but a decent Ford engine usually costs more to build and parts for many of them are hard to even find.

18. You don't have to apologize to me brother, I agree. I've built a couple of Ford engines. Back then just an aluminum intake was twice the price of a SBC. I'm wasn't bashing any of them, even though some think I was. I could've titled this "why a Chevy", I was only asking what made you the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Packard, man that you are. I honestly couldn't give a crap less what everybody likes, just the fact that we're all into cars is what matters. We're always gonna poke each other over it. I do enjoy driving my stuff, therefore I always found it convenient that if I broke f down, it wouldn't be hard to find parts for my stuff, unlike having a flathead Ford, but that's proving to be going by the wayside these days. I have to order just about every part I need now. Just own what you like, and drive the wheels off of it.

19. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

c92dbee8f50975753d0b8fffe28e7a54--gary-larson-the-far-side.jpg

Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  20. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

It's not specific to cars. I grew up around Mastercraft guys telling Nautique guys their boats were junk, vice versa. Chris Craft guys and Century guys going back and forth. Harley guys hate Triumphs, and the beat goes on...

I just like toys. One of everything please!

Deuces and Chavezk21 like this.
  21. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Chevrolet had one bolt pattern for bellhousings whether it is a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, small, or big block V8. The other makes within GM all shared one bolt pattern. Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and even Cadillac. So that make 2 bolt patterns total over 40 some odd years.
    GM-2
    Ford-8
    Not a false flag argument, whatever that means.

22. RmK57

RmK57

The bell housing thing is really a non-issue unless your getting into car and truck bell differences. If your building a performance engine more than likely your going aftermarket anyways, QuickTime, Lakewood etc...

23. You have to put this in perspective... Up until 1949, Ford had the V8 market to itself. GM and Chrysler were totally inline six or eight motors (Cadillac being the exception). Once OHV V8s became common and it was obvious that the flathead was going to be dethroned as the performance king, engine swapping became popular. The cars chosen for this were nearly always Fords because their engine compartments were already configured for a V8 with enough width to accommodate them, not the case with inline-only GM and Chrysler cars. Ford also ditched closed drivelines in '49, another plus in it's favor. GM kept those well into the '50s. The older Fords were still viable because of the robust aftermarket for them, something the other makes generally lacked. I'm convinced that's one reason why more early Fords survived compared to other makes.

And comparing Ford's entire V8 line against only Chevy isn't really fair. Chevrolet motors were only used in Chevys (until the 'corporate motor' decision); try bolting a Caddy, Olds, Pontiac or Buick into a Chev. You'd have more luck trying that with a Ford-produced motor into another model Ford product, in spite of the differences. Not all of those Ford motors were developed for use in Ford cars either. The MEL was only used in one Ford car ('58-60 T-bird) and that was to make it legal for NASCAR. It made a brief appearance in the Edsel and Mercury, otherwise it was confined to the Lincoln. Same thing goes for the 385; originally developed for the Lincoln, it only became a Ford/Mercury staple when the FE reached the end of the line.

As to the much-maligned FE, it's tough to argue with it's heritage. The first purpose-built HiPo V8 ('60 352/360 HP), designed from the block up as a performance motor on to the the mighty 427 that traded blows with the Hemi in NASCAR, as well as winning LeMans. The 348/409 can only dream about that...

24. jim snow

jim snow

First car I bought on my own was a Pontiac. I loved it. I wish they didn’t stop making them. Got a Chevy in a Ford now with lots of cruising miles. Completely bulletproof.jmho. Snowman

25. Well me, I'm a GM and Dapper Dan man!

Deuces and 210superair like this.
  26. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I've got a Ford, a Chev, a Mopar, a Honda, and had many European cars.

They all have strong points and weaknesses.

My in laws are strictly GM guys, and I've laughed more than once when "the coolant is low" appears, and the transmission needs to be rebuilt. But that's all late model stuff.

My uncle is a Toyota man, he puts 300,000 on all of them and says they are the best thing ever, but is always working on rust...

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

Sure it is. Chevy didn't use the other GM engines (except for a few very rare exceptions, such as a few late 50s school buses with Buick nailheads, and perhaps a 3.8 in a few cars in the late 70s). Ford used all these different engines in Fords. Most of them, the same time! It's just crazy.

28. I worked my entire working life as a mechanic....mostly for fleets. Our company bought Dodge, GM, IHC and Ford trucks. I worked on Fords more than any other trucks. If it wasn't for the hokey ass twin I-beam front suspension [radius arm bushings and their mounts, weak front coils etc] it was the Duraspark ignitions,broken aluminum steering column mounts, door hinges etc etc.
    Forgetting that I once bought a freshly painted 66 Lincoln coupe....bad mistake. First thing to go was the crank mounted power steering pump, [powered the wipers too] then the am/fm radio took a dump complete with smoke. The day the left side front disc brake locked up in traffic, in Portland rain, I was able to horse the thing off the street to a cross street. I left it there and walked home...called the junk man to come for it and bought a nice Olds hardtop.

29. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

1745481324-90770-dapper-dan-man-gif-George-Cloo-mdUl.gif