Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Why do you like Ford, Chevy, Dodge,etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Why a Chevy? Why a Dodge? I've owned all of them, and I've had the best luck with Chevy. I've not owned many mopar, most of what I have owned was muscle car stuff, but I always hated the asthmatic sound of the starter. And I guess that about every Ford I've owned has let me down. That all being said, my daily is a 2017 Dodge ram. But there's gotta be a reason you like what you like!! Was it the way you was raised? I guess you can post something like "because Ford kicks ass", but that would mean that you have no reason for being a Ford person, other than 4 letter words are easier to spell ;):p you can hate me later. :D

2. squirrel

squirrel

dad bought a couple old Chevys really cheap from friends, and I ended up with them, and it stuck.

They're also cheap, plentiful, and highly interchangeable. You can go fast in a Chevy, for not much money. You can bolt a big block in, where a six was, in a day.

3. adam401

adam401

My Parents had a model A Ford that they brought me home from the hospital in when I was born so I guess it was early influence. Plus my Dad always had Ford trucks. Thats what got the ball rolling but I just like pre war Fords. The body, the mechanicals everything. I can really nerd out on it.
    But I like early cars in general. If its a prewar car built with all early parts of any make I'll gravitate towards it.

4. jaracer

jaracer

When I was real young my folks had a 50 Chevy sedan with the sloping back. They then got a 54 BelAire, but it was a 2 door and Mom didn't like it. In 56 they bought a new Mercury station wagon and were hooked on Ford products until they passed. I worked at a Lincoln Mercury dealership for a number of years and had Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns. Some years later I went to work at a Dodge dealership and owned a number of Chrysler products. However, I was still known at the dealership as the Ford guy.

5. '57 Chevy was the first car I can remember catching my eye as a little kid. Had to have one! Guess I imprinted on them.

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Honestly, I've had better luck with the Fords, I always seem to be putting an engine in a Chevy where my Fords all have original engines that came with the car except the one Ford that came with a Chevy engine which blew up for some reason and it wasn't from thrashing it.

7. Ford for styling, chev for drivetrain interchangeability, mopar cause they are cheap, John Deere because of service, Kubota for efficiency. These are all generalizations. I have driven them all. Not loyal to a brand, each deal stands on its’ own merits, made the most sense at the time of purchase. But Ford for style- especially in the 20’s and 30’s.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My Dad always had Chevs and my first car at age 12 was a 55 Chevy.... I have had mostly all Chevs ever since

9. I have had mostly Fords and Chevys in my life and really, I don't see a dime's worth of difference in them. I mostly bought because of the particular body style or because a certain car had more horsepower but other than that, I have no loyalty.

10. I've owned 11 Model A Ford's, and all of them but 1 had a SBC in them, and that 1 had a 230 straight 6 lol. I also had a 64 galaxy XL with a SBC lmao!

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have owned Fords, Chevys and one Dodge.
    I tend to lean towards prewar Fords with GM power.

When I hit the 50’s Fords it’s all Ford.

I doubt I will ever own another Dodge.

I love Buicks and Packards. It’s a sickness.

12. My dad was a Lincoln guy growing up
    And if it wasn’t a Lincoln it was a Ford.

I really could not care less I’ve owned pretty much one of everything North American and European
    If I like it to want it.

but I have owned a bunch of Lincoln’s VW’s snd fords over the years

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Personally, I like pretty much all brands. For early 30's car I like Ford's because of the aesthetics, they have the best lines (or maybe I've just learned to like them best. No, they really do have the best lines). Though I do really like 33 Plymouths, a 33 Plymouth is on my "some day" list. The problem with early 30's Chevy's is all the wood.

Later year models I think all the American brands have something good to offer, visually and/or mechanically. It is kinda hard to beat a 40 Ford for beauty in that era. In the 50's Chevy hit it out of the park with the tri-5's, and the SBC, but it's not like Ford and Chrysler didn't have some outstanding offers as well. Same in the 60's.

14. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

"asthmatic starter" - who gives a flying f**k what the starter sounds like. Haven't heard that one in a while, BTW that improperly shimmed Chevy starter is sweet, sweet music to the ears don't you think? Lame . . .

ffr1222k, 35desoto, lemondana and 5 others like this.
  15. I’m a diehard Mopar guy. Mostly that’s what my dad always liked and the Fargo was what I found when I was looking for an old truck when I was 13. I mostly like things that are different, not mainstream.

16. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d identify as a Chevy person, but I suppose I like them all. Dad had Pontiacs and a Chevy, 2 brothers have Mopars, one a Chevy, the other leans Mopar. High School buddies had Mopar, Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, and Olds - they were all cool.

My current HAMB-friendly car is a ‘31 Ford with a Chevy 348.

John

17. I have always been a Chevy guy. I get the from my grandfather as he has always had some kind of tri five, chevelle, impala, camaro, truck, etc in rotation in the garage. Always had some kind of Chevy V8 in pieces for me to mess with and learn how it all works. Only exception is 30s cars. Then its nothing but Ford's. Mainly due to styling and them being better structurally over a Chevy. We do stick a Chevy in every 32-34 Ford we have had, mainly as we always have parts on hand to fix them if they ever have an issue, but they rarely do.

18. Over the years I've owned Chevy's, Ford's, Dodge's, Plymouths, Buicks, Pontiac's, Mercury's, Oldsmobile's, VW's, 1 Chrysler and 1 AMC Javelin and I've had good luck and bad luck with them. I currently own a '56 Ford Fairlane so I guess that makes me a ford man unless I'm driving my Z71 or Sue's Old's!

19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Chevy, Pontiac, Mercury, Ford, Dodge, GMC. Mostly musclecars a couple trucks and even a cool Omni. If I like the styling, I'm buying it!

20. I'm a GM-man. I can't really come up with a definitive reason why that is........
    Well, maybe because they tend to be torque monsters and the GM styling of the time was/is more appealing to me.
    I was a weekend warrior at the strip, and occasionally on the street if I was allowed to do so in a safe, cop-free zone and no small creatures were harmed in the execution of the deed.
    I was convinced early on that I saw a pattern of (1) If you wanted to win, and have some change in your pocket leftover, you went GM (which includes Chevy, obviously), (2) If you wanted to be hooning without worrying about breakdowns and win every other blue moon, you went Mopar. (3) If you liked pain in all its forms, you went FoMoCo.
    I admit, there's no science to this opinion to back it up. It's just a feeling felt somewhere between your belly button and your a**hole.
    That's all I can say about that. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Some men are Catholics, some men are Baptists; my old man was an Oldsmobile man." (Jean Shepard - Author of "A Christmas Story")

My old man was an Oldsmobile man as well, and I was a GM guy until the late '70's and '80's when a series of seriously flawed vehicles (a "Luv" truck and a Chevrolet "Monza" in particular) totally soured me on the General. I tried many others in the interim (I was especially taken by a Dodge Rampage pickup until it self-destructed into a pile of rust when it was about 5 years old). I have not been close to becoming satisfied with anything until the little lady (over my strenuous objections) bought a (shudder) Kia "Soul", which converted me after a couple of years.

I am now down to my '51 Ford (like the first car I ever owned), a 1967 Corvette Coupe (like the first new car I ever purchased), and my "T" tub, which I built in '65 and '66 and am currently in the process of resurrecting. I guess I am motivated mainly by nostalgia.

22. I’m a GM guy who came out of the closet for Early Fords

23. I give a fuck what the starter sounds like, that's who. Did I hurt your feelings with that? Man you've got some thin skin and huge computer nuts.

24. I have no brand loyalty..with owning close to 100 cars over the years, I've never really locked into one specific brand.
    All of the car brands have had hits, as well as misses in the styling department.

25. Deuces

Deuces

I drove early Camaros and '70-'72 Novas till '88.... it's been Fords ever since....

26. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Hell, I always thought that chevys were something you whent to the Doctor for and had to tell the woman you had been with.

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My old man was a Ford guy, only owned one Chevy, a 72 C10. My first two cars were Ford's, then I got a couple of Chevys myself. From then on, it was a mixed bag of Ford, GM, Toyota and VW. Even owned a couple of Plymouth mini vans and a Chrysler Laser. I turned on GM after a couple of sorry S10 pickups and a couple of small Pontiacs. Went back to FOMOCO products and haven't looked back, but did get weak and bought a couple of C4 Corvettes and a Firebird Formula. All in all, I've had better luck out of Fords, the GM stuff just never lasted me as long.

chevy57dude, dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  28. My father worked for Ford and mother worked for Goodyear. We drove Fords with Goodyear tires. Learned to drive on a '55 Ford 272 with 3 on the tree. Parents bought it new, still have it. I've had the '38 Ford pickup since I was 14 (now 69). I keep vehicles longer than most people keep spouses. Having said that, I've owned other stuff for daily drivers and family cars mainly because I got them cheap when I needed a car. There's something to be said for that Chrysler starter--make this gear reduction starter that will spin a 440 with 11:1 compression and put it on everything. I like small block Chevys and have one in the '38 Ford pickup. I'm using a GM internal reg alternator on the '55 Ford, wasn't too difficult to mount it on the Y block.

alanp561, dana barlow, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  29. Lol that's awesome brother! Yeah unfortunately marriage doesn't have the same meaning that it once did. I would bet my money that the majority was raised around a certain brand, and that's where it all started.

chevy57dude and dana barlow like this.
  30. -Brent-

-Brent-