Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest why do they want to race me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joebuick, Nov 13, 2009.

1. roddinron

roddinron

One of my cars and my usual driver is a 72 pontiac ventura, 230 powerglide. I LOVE this car just the way it is, but everyone who asks what's in it is disappointed when I tell them. I have a very low mileage Pontiac 400 with 400 turbo sitting in my garage, and access to all the parts including headers and mounts to put it in, but it's staying as is.
    Anyway, every time I take that car out it seems like someone wants to race me, people think every old car of that era is a muscle car.:)

2. My mother has an o/t '07 Convertible GT Mustang (Stock). and she drives a bunch of young kids around in it (my brother and his friends). And retards roll up yelling "race race" and there are cars infront with speeding cameras everywhere. I just can't understand how you would want to race a car full of kids on a busy road with speeding cameras.

3. I've done that with my '66 Coronet. It's a solid low 13 car, runs very nice and is faster than most. Most guys with alleged 10-second "street cars" are lyin' out their asses, anyway...but I digress...

I was at a light recently and one of the way-too-many rice bombs pulls up, with the 10K-watt noise maker, the 5" fart-can, and the usual "Fast and Furious" crap on it...He wants to race. I see a cop car about 200 yards up the road, but I let the guy on that I'll run him. The light changes, the ricer bomb lights 'em up and zooms across the intersection - right past the cop - doing probably 60 or so in a 35 zone! Cops lights the punk up, and I cruise by, at 30 mph, laughing my ass off at the ricer boy!

Fun times!

4. Thats awesome man waydago!

5. Joe, looks like it's time to dump one of them nailheads ya got into that falcon...

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Doesn't bother me. I race 'em every time. They just don't know it, because my car only goes 50 :)

7. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

My wife drives a studebaker lark stationwagon and she gets the opposite from people. It seems people think its a metal snail she constantly gets tailgated , passed when its a double yellow, all kinds of dangerous shit. No matter how fast she is going! I love when she blows the doors off some jackass thats tryin to pass her illegaly !! the look on their face ...Gettin smoked by a girl in a primered stude lark wagon has gota hurt!!!...it puts 419 HP to the ground.

Attached Files:

8. People rev up on me all the time in my Corvair. It's a Corvair people! Two single barrel Rochesters are not a recipe for speed!

9. slepe67

slepe67

had a 67 Mustang (hence my screenname) and a guy pulled up to me ALL THE TIME and wanted to run em. He had a POS 76 Camaro, with a tunnel ram, and dual carbs...it sputtered and choked, blew black smoke. I had a 200 cid straight 6.

Well, after about a month of this, I had enough and put in a "mildly" hopped up 351C. I ran into this turd, and he started revving and sputtering. I hit the line lock, and mashed the throttle, letting the rev limter to its thing. Bwahhh d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-. The lite turned green, I let off the gas, and idled off the line, right past him. HE STALLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

After that, I ran into him from time to time, but he would always get behind me, or turn off...beats me why haha

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had a 71 camaro in the Navy. 350/4speed. We played with the motor and heated it up a bit. These fools wanted to go at it and I told em "next light". I chirped every gear not breaking the speed limit. They made a right.
    Now I like to let them go and hope the cops ahead.
    I know what I have, and have no reason to impress someone who means nothing to me in a potentially dangerous scenario.

11. Best one I ever had was when I had a factory-built 1969 Dodge Dart GTS with a 440 auto in it. It had 3.91 gears, and would smoke the tires at will. Dude in a primered '69 Camaro rolls up, asks "Is that really a 440 car?" after seeing the engine callout on the hood; and informs me that he wants to race. My car has about 400 miles on a rotisserie resto and was worth about a hundred times what his shitbomb could hope to be worth...His was the typical SB Camaro of the time (1988) - primer, no hood, loud engine - sounds like a few cars here! (heh heh!) - and he is in the outside lane of a four-lane main road, I am on the inside lane. Light turns. I hit the gas and the Dart hooks up like no one's business! The Camaro slams it into Second, misses Third and I see this HUGE ball of fire coming out of his dual four-barrel Holly carbs! Biggest carb backfire I've ever seen! He was about a half-car behind when this happened. He slowed down immediately and pulled into a church parking lot. I spun around and drove back to offer up my fire bottle, because by now, both the carbs were fully enveloped in flames, and his wiring harness was beginning its little meltdown. I got out to help with the fire, and the dude flips me off! WTF! So, I offered an in-kind salute to the punk-ass and drove off - with the fire extinguisher I'd offered up!

Fast forward two weeks. SAME intersection. Camaro-Boy is at the light, in the outside lane. I pull up, once again in the 440 Dart, mention that Daddy must've rebuilt his Camaro, and challenge him to a rematch. He sees the car, recognizes me and immediately turns right at the intersection, not wanting me to get anywhere near him!

I don't remember ever seeing that car around after that!

12. joebuick

joebuick

well I am a young father of small children and I only make lance corpral pay so a cheap car was what I was in the market for and 58,000 original mile wagon for 1200 bucks was hard to pass up. By the way I also own a Rambler but it's in storage right now.

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i don't want to race you.

14. cretin

cretin

Back before I took the '54 off the road for an engine swap, it had a 70 something 350 in it. It ran good but was tired so it didn't make much power. On the way home from the bar one night so it was about 2 AM, I was stopped at the last light before I get to my house. A late model CHevy pick-up pulls up next to me with 2 guys in it. They roll down the window and say, "that thing will beat us huh?". I just said "yup" even though that was a lie, so when the light changes they take off but they didn't pay attention to the fact that there was a cop waiting for the light too. Cop flipped on his lights, flipped a bitch and went after them, and I went home and got a great nights sleep.

15. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Every single kid in a hopped up honda or 5.0 mustang used to want to race my 62 vette when it was in primer and now that it has a nice paint job their all asceered.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

ha. been there.
    i love to give the impression that i'll race them, but then just take off at a normal pace and watch them make total ass hats of themselves....

17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I get challenged in my 32, I always accept. On two occassions I have seen the guy get pulled over 200 meters up the road by the cops whilst I just dawdle past, as in my car Im never going to win (16 sec ova the 1/4) so never blast off, just let them think Im going to....

18. S.F.

S.F.

man, I need to move there or something. Im always ready for a street race at the drop of a hat. No one EVER wants to race ever. In my roadster Ive never had anyone try to race me on the street (other than friends in there hot rods, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose). I have been street raced in other cars but never my hot rod. I have a big block mopar with 2x4's huge cam and open headers. You would think someone would at least roll up and try to race, but never yet.

My last hot rod I had (29 A with a small block) I raced a guy at 1 AM on a tuesday night, he was on a new harley night trian, beat him by a half a car. we were doing alittle over 100 in a 35 mph zone. That was fun.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  19. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

As soon as I saw this picture, I suddenly thought about this picture I took of rat bastad.

Gotta love it!

[​IMG]

HC.

20. I got that now and then with the '60 Pontiac. Made a douche in a Mitsubishi Lancer or Eagle Talon or whatever that little 90s sporty Mopar was, have to do 90 to pass me before I let him go to make my turn. Had the road been better or I'd been going the same way I could have pushed even further. What a fun car to drive and completely bone stock 389, 2-barrel carb and hydro trans. With the wide track and long wheelbase it handled like a slot car compared to anything else I'd driven to that point, and would accelerate like stink without me even trying to push it hard.

21. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Haha, i had similar.
    The monte carlo, had the stock carbed 3.8 V6 & 200R. hood pins that were functional (Removed the latch), stock spolier & big exhaust. I have everything that was concidered powerful challenge me everywhere. I just shrugged it off and kept going.
    [​IMG]
    Now the truck, i was the instigator, with a 454 in that light thing i thought, THOUGHT, i was hot shit. No one ever really tried except for a few idiots i've talked about befor.
    [​IMG]
    (im really starting to hate that i didnt change the wheel color)

22. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I used to drive a pretty radical V8 Pinto for a daily driver in the early 80's. When i first built it i kept the 13" wheels and a single 3" exhaust. It was Datsun 510's that always wanted to race me then thinking i was a fair match. It was funny to hear them at 7000 RPM launching beside me as i drove away normally then when i was in second i'd goose it a little bit and light the tires up and gain a bunch of distance on them rapidly. I'd let off and they'd do the "ricer fly-by" which was in effect even back then.

Later i put Centerlines on the car and L60-15 rear tires and louder dual exhaust. Very few people tried then but there was still the odd one. Best was some mook in a new Turbo TransAm... you know the really lame ones with the 301 and lights in the back of the hood... he had a nice looking girl in the passenger side. As the sidestreet turned amber he brake torqued it and took off full throttle (this was probably not obvious to pedestrians) and i saw all the hood lights lit up i drove up beside them and stomp 'er good burying them in smoke. I never saw them after i slowed, guess he turned? :confused:

23. My DD is a lowered 2WD Chevy Blazer with Corvette rally wheels and fat tires. It looks fast but has a 4 banger and a 5 speed. Slower than shit except for the first 10 feet because it has 4.10 rear gears and a low 1st gear.

I always 'launch' like I'm gonna really do something, then I shift into 2nd and it's all over, but I do get to see some pretty good burnouts from my opponents.

24. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Thats awsome! I bet they would never guess it could stop on a dime with those disc brakes either! I know what its like to get disrespected on the road just for not blending in and driving something that just looks like an "old beater" to the unaware, stupid society of sheep.

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old 38 kinda looked quick and I guess thats why EVERYONE wanted to race it, too bad it wasn't all that quick. My daily driver XD Falcon ran 496rwhp, was lowered a little but didn't look real quick.
    Lot of ricers learned the hard way not to try it. I learned though that racing has its place when I became a paramedic, guys dont do it on the street.

26. 62rebel

62rebel

many'ol is trying to remember that unless you had bucks to put into your Model A four banger it took a month to get from one end of the driveway to the other. around the "traditional" coupe and roadster bunch, yeah, Falcons and Valiants and Ramblers were gramma cars, but that was forty years ago when there were a hundred thousand project cars in the farm fields and barns, instead of hundred thousand dollar cars on Barrett-Jackson.
    BTW: a stock Falcon 144 rates 85hp... more than a v8-60. little less than most of Ford's line up through say 1955? a Falcon's limitation isn't the engine per se; it's gearing and that damn fragile peanut tranny.
    and anyway, most people in modern cars are dicks. i hate the fucking things.

27. BoulevardBomber

BoulevardBomber

never too old !!!

28. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

The PT IS a Neon underneath...same engine, same trans, same chassis, EVERYTHING. You don't EVER want to do an engine change in one of those, getting an engine through that 3' triangular hole BLOWS. I sure don't miss working on new cars....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  29. joebuick

joebuick

and I'm having trouble convincing my wife to get rid of her pt cruiser. . . . god I hate that car

30. pontiac

pontiac

I've had several people try to race my 64 Catalina...it's just a 4 door stock 389/2 barrel - hydramatic car. It has straight pipes though so I guess the sound intimidates them?

Some guy in a new HEMI Dodge Ram tried racing me about 3 weeks ago, racing the engine beside me pulling away, slowing down, etc... I just blew it off that day and cruised on home. But I saw him again last week on the way home from work. He was doing the same thing, but this time nothing around so I laid into it a little... he tried to keep up and didn't do too bad up until about 95-100 (about 2 car lengths behind me) then I walked off and left him. I don't know if he got scared or his governor got him, but that was it. Maybe he'll leave me alone now :D