Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest why do they want to race me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joebuick, Nov 13, 2009.

1. joebuick

joebuick

I drive a bone stock 1960 falcon 4 door station wagon as a daily driver. So why is it that every time the sun goes down and I'm sitting at a stop light next to a guy with a V8 under the hood of his truck or a mustang they want to race me? I mean the stock exhaust is almost silent at an idle and I don't go around reving my 144 c.i inline at the stop lights. I guess I'm just wondering if any one has some insight into the mentality of these guys or has similar experiances in their older cars. I know alot of people must drive faster looking cars than my grocery getter, and I never seemed to have this problem when I drove a 1960 dodge dart with a cherry bomb, 4" rear drop, custom paint, and no grill daily.

2. squirrel

squirrel

you think that's bad, try driving an early bone stock 6 cyl camaro

3. joebuick

joebuick

haha I had a 79 camaro with a 6 in high school but back then every one wanted to race every one any way

4. Mockie

Mockie

make sure your chute and wheelie bars are off, could cause some confusion.

5. joebuick

joebuick

yeah, well I was thinking the falcon hood blister might be getting confused with cowl induction.

6. I had two polar opposites, a 71 Nova, completely bad-ass looking, 12 inch wide tires in the back, huge scoop, gauges on the cowl, just the meanest looking thing, bone stock straight 6 with a Powerglide. Everyone thought I was packin' something so they stayed away from me. Then years later, I built a real sleeper-78 Plymouth Volare ugly-ass tan station wagon with a blue hood, steelies, roof rack, etc. That car was hooked up, poured a ton of work into the engine, trans, and rear to get that thing into the 11s. But by the time I built that one, I was too old to do the whole street racing thing!

7. Cruiser

Cruiser

No matter what it is young guys will always try and out drive an old fox, it's just part of growing up. Your Falcon most likely looks like a sleeper to them and all old cars are fast right! Ha, Ha :D

Cruiser :cool:

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Haha I was riding shotgun in MR. FORDS coupe one day. We pulled up next to some dude in a brand new Hemi Challenger. Windows down, music up, glasses on. He looked over us and his eyes drifted torwards Marks jerky loud-as-shit Desoto motor and back at us. I nodded and he turned white and made a quick right turn. It was funny as hell because that car could've probably taken us. It's not really relevent but I thought it was funny.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahahaha! That's funny, Joe. You might be on to something about that hood blister. Hey, I've got an idea for ya. When you encounter a goof like that, give 'em a smile, then rev your motor a bit as if your gonna go for it. When the light turns green, casually take off normally as a sane person would, and let them go go go! Hahahahahaha! Take care pal. - Rick

10. Travis

Travis

I drive a four door 61 Impala with original paint. I get bozo's ALL the time that wanna race, or mini truckers that gotta drop their ass and drag it while they drive next to me 'cause apparently I'll think that's cool? People think it's a lowrider cause it has 15 inch 60's American Racing five spokes at stock height. WTF? I've had two guys argue with me that it's not sitting at stock height. Hah, yeah. Whatever you say Mr. expert.

The best is the 55 y/o in the PT loser who's gotta tell you his car story at the stop light *I use to have a 62 Bel Air*! Cool, this is a 61 Impala. And you're driving a Neon station wagon now. That's quite an improvement.

11. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

try to race them! it would be even funnier if you beat them, thats what i did in my 51 ford with a whopping 85 horsepower!

12. Algon

Algon

How about a 110 powerglide 66 Corvair with rallys on it, it was a fun car for being gutless. I actually had a yuppie in a ZO6 want to race my Camaro.:D

Before that I had a 64 Falcon wagon with a 289 and a toploader 4speed. The guy who had it put a 4bbl intake and 650 Holley on it with the stock 2bbl cam, a set of headers necked down to a Y-pipe to one Cherry bomb. Not exactly a blue printed ground thumper here but I got the same thing you are. When my Fleetwood got totaled that miss matched pile was the closest thing to a driver I had at the time.
    The frist time out driving by my old high school some kid comes tearing out of the parking lot after me. He almost takes out two cars crossing traffic in his MR-2 with a four foot wing on it and stick on flames. He flew up next to me at a stop sign winding the crap out of it. I figured I'd pull him off the line and the over carbed, half choked up Ford would die out. Hell I blew his doors off to the surprize of both of us. He gave up by the time I hit third gear, which was good because I jambed the stock shifter and we were running out of "safe" road to use. I had to pull over and knock it back out of third to get home.

13. mike hamel

mike hamel

thats pretty funny because I notice the same thing where I live in Reno. Every single time when the sun goes down and I am either on an on ramp or at a red light. I end up racing some honda civic or some bs like that. Although they don't know what my little 1936 international is packing. The 401 nailhead blows their 4 cylinder out of the water. Every single time. I get a kick out of it. I just think its funny how I dont instigate anything, its just something about having a hot rod. Proud to be a hot rodder, thats for sure!

14. rebstew187

rebstew187

It's all part of growing up as someone else said. They will do it to anything that looks fast or old to them. I remember running around about 20 years ago in a 67 Fairlane that was set up with a built V4 head 351 Cleavland with the motor sticking out the hood with a tunnel ram and two Holleys and I had some punk kid follow me all the way down a main drag trying to race me but he was the one driving a hoopty. I think it was a 4 banger VW Rabbit or something along those lines.

15. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

i just hate the douche bags that pull up next to me, when im driving my mustang, and try to race me even though then see my 2yr old daughter in a carseat in the car....

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

they are ridiculing you for driving a Falcon.
    a 4 dr Falcon
    a station wagon

Those cars were bought new by a young mother of small children
    who could only afford a cheap car

Its kinda like driving a Rambler

Once on a while someone recognized that Falcons were light weight and they hotrodded one with a big V8 but they never were really considered as traditional hotrod material

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes! they are fucking with you just for the fun of it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  18. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I had a guy in a ferrari once race me when I was driving a o/t late model rental car with a 6 cyl...not even a GT!!! silly fun though!

nobody really tries to race me in my hooptie, but it's a kustom so maybe that's why

although jerkies will speed past me and then cut me off or something...they *really* over estimate how well old cars stop.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had the same experiance with my 170 cid Studebaker Lark with a 3 speed. Mostly BMWs it seemed. I found that by installing a 383 inch SBC and 4 speed I could keep most of them from doing it twice. This later led to installing a nine inch and ladder bars. Kind of makes me feel like the guy who was getting sand kicked in his face.

20. why not play it out and watch them makes dicks of themselves!:D

21. 'Cause they have already been out run by all the pocket rocket guys in town and they just want to win something. :eek:

Here in the metro someone is always trying to get me to hook up. Doesn't matter what I'm driving. I don't understand it either. You'd think they would get tired of getting out run by a beater after awhile.

But in your case I have to guess they just want a chance to win one. ;)

Ok all kidding aside, with all the publicity we get they probably figure its a sleeper and they just want to confirm it.

22. atomic age

atomic age

Recently happened to me here in PA. I was driving my flathead powered model A when a guy in one of those new SS Trailblazers with rubber "testicles" hanging off the back had to race.

I may have lost the drag race, but won the race of good taste and style, something that money can't buy.

Funny thing is if I was in my daily driver I would have really given him a run for his money, but I bet he would not have been so inspired to race either.

23. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

This happens to my Dad all the time but not me, My dad will pull up to a red light in one of our cars and some young kid revs his motor up at him. Dad looks at the kid and revs back up now when the light turns green the kid takes off like a bat out of hell and dad drives off like a grandpaw that he is. I laugh it's to funny. But I leard along time ago never mess with a older man in a hot rod most have been there and done that. Now me I just smoke there ass for them and thats that I'm one of thoses old guys now...... It is funny when it happens........

24. My Valiant is dual 18 inch glasspacked 318 pushing a whopping 200 hp and I get the tuners pull up in there fart canned ricers and want to run me....I usually act like I am going to accept their challenge then the light changes they take off flying and I just roll out at normal speed....

25. Wow, must be a limited edition Neon station wagon, never seen one around here.
    :rolleyes:

26. They may be disrespecting your Falcon wagon.

Perhaps it's time for an engine swap, a big one with mild cam etc. that makes for a good sleeper.

The 462" BB Buick engine in my 32 falls into the sleeper category, but the car is light in weight and scoots along pretty good.

Lately I've been having new Chrysler 300's nail it at the stops and go blasting up the main drag.
    Probably a new car thing with a car that's a good runner and is the most powerful car the yuppie looking owner's ever driven.

First two that did it sounded great, the modern almost-a-hemi is surprisingly strong.

Last one that did the sneer and haul-ass bit sounded strange and wasn't particulary impressive.

I believe the new 300's come with a V-6.

Geez, a V-6.

I know some of them can run, but labeling a V-6 car with the famed and muchly revered '300' label?:confused:

Ain't nothin sacred any more?:(

27. Iluvnos

Iluvnos

They are compensating for having small dicks. I agree with the rest of the guys, egg 'em on then drive like normal. Keep em guessing... it will drive them nuts :D

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was in Hollywood, Ca driving my Pops '74 Chev Luv p/u with a camper shell and slotted mags. Some guy in a Vette is ligthing them up at each red light. Eventually, I'm next to him at a signal. He's reving his engine waiting for the light. The light turns green and he lights 'em up. I punch it and beat him to the next signal. The Vette guy pulls up laughing. He asks "What's in it?". I say it's stock!. He waves and makes a left turn. The Luv had a 350/350 with a 9", but looked and sounded stock. LOL

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i would egg them on ,,try to look serious, and point up at the light and nod..put one hand on the top of the steering wheel..stand on the brake pedal and juice the engine a bit in gear so she lunges a bit..

wait for the light to turn green and let his ass fly off the line..as you calmly pull away watching him fly out in front of you..and hope there is a cop waiting behind the doughnut shop sign..

as you roll on buy with a big grin on your mug

30. Travis

Travis

A Neon station wagon is what I call a PT cruiser cause that's what it reminds me of. Another round pod with wheels next to the others in the walmart parking lot.

[​IMG]