Register now to get rid of these ads!

why did this car auction so low?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gallogiro

gallogiro

today I saw this on barret Jackson, 29 chevy fully restored and ended at only 13500, why so cheap? anyone know why it went for so low? for that price id get one but is it that these are not too desireable?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at that price for a finished car I would get one, but is there something im missing about this car?

2. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here in Australia that car is worth that before restoration. I wish I could find a '29 Chevy coupe in any condition here.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Pre-war, non Ford.

4. gallogiro

gallogiro

i see, thanks guys. I didn't know but had I been there at the auction seeing it go so low I swear I would have bidded thinking I was getting a deal and buy on impulse, I even told my brother to start to plan a trip out there and try to score one that low. it just seemed ridiculous a fully restored classic car go for so low. midroad maybe you should look into buying and importing, I have friends that do that to japan, Holland and Germany and make a pretty good living at it but they do 58 to 64 impalas. im sure youd profit more with classics like these if theyre in demand out there

5. I wonder what the rolling stock/drivetrain is worth? Basically everything minus the body

6. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Maybe, cause Chevys prior to 37 were loaded with wood? But I am with you, even if someone gave you a starter coupe like that, you couldn't build it for even close to that price. Then again a nice model A ford comes along in that price range quite often. Usually cars like that fetch more at auctions, it seems.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Not a desirable car, in the collector world. Try selling one and you'll see.

8. movingviolation

movingviolation

WOOOOOD! I built a 29 hot rod! OMG the wood... Lots of work...

And it is not a 32 ford! People are disillusioned buy thinking that the only thing in life is a 32!

9. PackardV8

PackardV8

Very few buyers there that day wanted a '29 Chevy. I wouldn't want one at any price, but that's why hundreds of millions of cars have been manufactured over the past 113 years. Not everyone wanted a '29 Chevy, so there are plenty of other choices.

10. Leviman

Leviman

I see nice Model As for as cheap as that on craigslist all the time.

11. Prewar non-Ford that's all original.

12. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a '29 Chev tourer hotrod. It's still got the original wood in the body.
    Unfortunately you guys are right, they don't have close to a Model A value.
    But if you want something different and rarer they are an alternative.

13. gfr220

gfr220

That was my car. I really hated to see it go, I really loved that car. But at 13500.00 I was very happy to sell it. It was a very good car I worked on it probably 5 years and had on about 10,000.00 in it. The wood in it was very good. The Chevrolet had wood in them until mid year of 1936.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Gotta keep in mind lots of barrett jackson mentality is bragging rights, or there could have been a different prewar chevy that people were watching more. If you're not a gold chainer, you can't understand the way they think

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER

I'd have to say that most of the reason was the venue. In the corral at Hershey it would have an asking price of near or a bit over $20K. Add 10-12% to the hammer price, add local tax for plates, then figure in transportation. Whomever bought it has close to $20K in it once it's home unless they live there. A muscle car venue isn't the best place to offer an antique stocker. A couple Fords went reasonable too. A 35 5W cpe wih SBC power on an otherwise stock car and a 37 5W that was stock. I'll have to look up results but they seemed a bargain.

A quick edit: gfr220, you were posting when I was. Was the interior OEM or just a nice material? That can be 50% up or down in the final bid if it's just some newer material that's close.

16. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

There were a bunch of cars from one collection going really cheap. Mostly under 10k. I wish I was there. There were many bargains. I think it was just a lot of choices and not so many bidders.

And it was a mecum auction.

gfr220 I'm glad you were happy with the price.. looked like a nice car. Did you buy anything?

17. gfr220

gfr220

New material. It was exactly the way a 1929 Chevrolet was set up. The only reason I sold it was because of the wood, it was a bitch to do. I have other cars I am working on now. This was a good car and I had a lot of fun driving it around. Went down to Austin (Hill country) and Arkansas in it.

18. My brotherinlaw lives in Santa Maria. He's constantly riding me about how cheap cars are here.
    Maybe it's because folks in Cal. are willing to pay those big prices for cars?
    I was at the auction, and saw a ton of cars not make reserve because the bidders would stop. Some of them were very close to reserve, but made no difference, the bidders wouldn't buckle.
    Sometimes, after reserve was off, bidding still didn't go any higher. The bidders had determined what the car was worth, and that was it.
    A car, or anything else for that matter, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

19. kracker36

kracker36

It needed a Corvette engine in it.

20. gfr220

gfr220

If you will look at this auction (Mecum) there were several cars went for very cheap prices. Two more days to go and I will go there to probably buy.

21. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I was surprised to see how cheap some of the cars were selling. This was one that looked like it deserved more. Only a few of the best brought prices they deserved. I think the bargain of the day was the (off topic) '76 Eldorado Convertible (very presentable) that only brought $3500.

22. That was the Mecum Auction not Barrett Jackson & it was also the first day. The cars that are auctioned on the first day are not the high dollar vehicles you see on Saturday

23. That ^ and restorations are not worth as much as they used to be.

A year or two back Hot Rod (or maybe it was Rod and Custom) did an article on finding a car to hot rod and they stated that C resto model As were going for about 7K then. Way cheaper to get a common resto (C or below) and build a rod from it than to buy bits and pieces of rusted up junk and build a rod out of it.

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The price reflects what the bidders THAT DAY were willing to pay. One never knows what the results will be at a particular auction, whether live like Mecum and B-J or online like eBay.

I have sold items on eBay one week for $20 and an identical item months later for $150. Go figure.

If there had been two people at the auction who really, really wanted that car (and it looks like a nice one), the price would have gone much higher.

It kind of reminds me of the price the Atomic Punk brought at auction, not nearly what it was worth, not scheduled in a good time slot, etc.

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have been watching the Mecum Auction and the "Wednesday cars" go a lot cheaper than the Saturday cars. Some of them were an absolute steal, you could not start to restore one for the money they sold for by a long shot.

I actually enjoy watching the cheaper cars go through more than the million dollar ones, I can relate to those more, and those will probably be driven and enjoyed instead of put in an ac cooled garage under a cover.

Don

26. TexasDart

TexasDart

If you want to buy Mercedes 'vert's this is the place to go on Wednesday and Thursday....wow...100K 'verts for less than 10K. Yeah I saw some deals go across the auction block. I'll probably go down there Saturday to check it all out.

27. You have to remember that in an auction a car will always go for what its worth to whomever show up to bid. Different people bidding makes different outcomes.

28. jesse1980

jesse1980

It depends on the crowd there that day. If it was in the middle of a bunch of muscle cars, there's gonna be muscle car guys there, not guys into something like that.

29. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I would love to have a 31/32 Chevy roadster project and have been looking. GearJammers 31 Chevy roadster is one of my favorite builds from the past 5 years. I am surprised this one went so cheap, but even at Barrett Jackson nice cars for good prices slip though......Sometimes

30. Money is tight at the moment. I've had a shit of a time selling my old 55 Century Coupe. I thought it would fetch decent dollars. Fucken gave it away almost. Not much happening out there, methinks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.