Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why can't I sell my Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Mac, Dec 15, 2019.

1. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

The market that wants a T is shrinking every day...and most who are willing or able to spend 15 large on one would rather spend more and build it they way they want it.

A car is only worth what you can get for it, regardless of investment, or sentimentality.

chopped likes this.
  2. There might be something to be said for this line of thinking, I had a fellow hamber tell me if I still had it come tax returns my coupe would be his. HRP

3. Squablow

Squablow

This is so true, it hurts! Find someone who is popular on Instagram, have them post it there with #rodswapper and watch the offers come in. There are tons of young guys who like hotrods and have money, they just don't hang out here anymore. (sorry).

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

The 77 Sunset Strip TV show ground to a halt in 1964. The Kookie car buzz was in 1958 - 1960 era. I was a teenager then, ain't no way this 75 year old is going out in the Arizona sun and take a shot at skin cancer... Declining health dictates a closed car and air conditioning (Traded in my "Man-card" for a "Ain't-dead-yet-card").

5. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I am one of those "young guys" that digs traditional rods....and I have a lot of friends that are in the same boat. None of them have any interest at all in Buckets. They are seen largely as old man parade rides.

chopped and LM14 like this.
  6. There are certainly guys out there that want a T bucket but the real hard core T bucket guys that I have known have built their own and are not afraid to drive them long and hard, we have one guy in out club that is a long time T bucket guy and he drove his to Daytona and back for the Turkey run, over a thousand miles and when he left it was 28 degrees.

BTW, Steve is 72 years young.HRP

7. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I've no doubt those guys are out there....but they aren't common.

bchctybob likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sure cant built one for that price! You are competing with the stock market right now though. No one pulls money out of a sure thing to buy toys. DOW is 28,280 as I type. New record highs are the new norm.

If we have a recession (which is defined as a lower GNP for 2 consecutive quarters) that could prompt people to do some profit taking and buy a toy or two if the price is right. If we enter a recession (history and an inverted yield curve say it is likely) in January, we wont know it until July but that is prime roadster buying season.

9. I have seen this car in person, it's a really nice looking "T" and looks to be very well built.
    In our part of the country, a "T" bucket is a hard sell. Either it's too damn hot or too damn cold to be out cruising in a open top or it's supposed to storm.
    I had my '26 for sale for well over a year and turned down many trade offers. After a year or so I wound up trading for a '46 Ford Business Coupe that wasn't worth nearly as much as the "T"!
    1926Ford006.jpg
    My only advise would be is to "hang in there"! Good luck...

alanp561 likes this.
  10. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I love your car and have looked at the ad about 3 or 4 times . . . but I already have a T bucket and don't really want to have two.

I sold 3 of my hot rods this Fall, and the market is very very soft. Have been trying to move my Henry steel roadster for 6 months, and can't get anyone to cut the check, will probably have to do a trade plus cash deal.

Nothing wrong with your car or your price. Don't put more money into it trying to change it to modern tastes -- you'll still end up selling it for 15K, you'd just be out the extra $.

11. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Seems the '46 and the T were worth exactly the same....

12. Seems that way!

13. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Well I am old but I've never driven the car in a parade maybe I should like a Xmas Parade and put a Big for sale sign on the car, good idea. I have a 13 year old relative that wants the car bad. While at Thanksgiving dinner with the family he came to me and handed me one thousand dollars in cash(don't know where he got it) and said this is a down payment on the hot rod will you take payments. I was humbled but had to tell him I would be dead of old age before he got it paid off.:D

14. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I wasn't intending any insult, just relaying the sentiment of those my age (~30-40ish.) There are lots of cars being built, both on and off topic, and nary a bucket in sight. Personally, they hold no attraction. To me, they always come across as the hot rod version of the kit car. I can completely respect the work, and the quality...but the end product always strikes me the same.

15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup, maybe a small niche in a small niche that might be even getting smaller

16. raven

raven

Sell it in Japan...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 and nochop like this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You may very well be selling it for the same reasons others aren’t interested.
    Consider a trade and see what pops up?
    If you eBay only use a buy it now while accepting offers.

nochop likes this.
  18. error404

error404
    from CA

I love old cars and hotrods, but to be honest I would never see myself owning a T, even if it were a screaming deal. It's just something that hasn't really interested me much. I don't think they have the same desire as vehicles from the 30's, at least to me anyway. I can appreciate them and enjoy looking at them, but don't see myself ever wanting one.

Chicster and Gman0046 like this.
  19. 150J/F

150J/F

Wow...when you asked for opinions you really got 'em!
    Here's mine: Don't paint it black...

Squablow, Stogy and ct1932ford like this.
  20. upspirate

upspirate

21. fordflambe

fordflambe

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    nochop likes this.
  22. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Don't waste your money repainting it, it looks great. And it stands out from the "just another T bucket" crowd with the 3 deuces, awesome headers, steel body, etc. It will sell. Try other avenues. It looks way better than most.

upspirate, Stogy and nochop like this.
  23. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I would imagine the seller of this bucket would appreciate these kind of folks being a lot more common.

24. guy1unico

guy1unico

Take the add off the HAMB until mid March and raise the price back to $18,000...lower $1000 each month it doesnt sell. if still doesnt sell remove add for 3 months.
    Very nice car but wrong time of year....I know you started in May but your entry price was too high.
    Also try:
    Good Guys Classifieds / Hot Rod Hotline

kidcampbell71 and joeycarpunk like this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t paint it

kidcampbell71, upspirate and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's interesting this scenario...Can you imagine how many times this has played out over the years...

I have no one in the family who shares any interest at all in my Ole Hotrod and here you have someone who dearly covets it...but the financials and wealth aren't aligning and at the end of the day you have Bill's to pay. I'll bet you wish you were able to so that as someone who appreciates your Dream Ride and You will never forget the opportunity that will come to pass...We do know and see here that this scenario does work out in many family circles...

I still remember lost opportunities at that age...life and it's twists and turns...

J.Ukrop and squirrel like this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

A T Bucket to me is a classic example of being careful of what type of car you buy or build. Anything too much outside of the mainstream which is where a T Bucket falls you take the chance of owning it for the rest of your life or losing your ass if your even lucky enough to sell it. Same analogy holds true on buying or buiding a house.
    I buy, build and sell cars all the time. I learned a long time ago to only deal with cars that have a significant market value. The last probably ten to twelve cars I've sold were a 46 Ford Convertible and Tri 5 through 1964 Chevies. Haven't lost a dime on any one of them.
    Found it interesting of the many comments of HAMBers buying cars with Income Tax Refunds. Unfortunately thats never happened for me. I always wind up paying additional Income Taxes.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  28. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Don't worry MB I'm not

kidcampbell71, Stogy and upspirate like this.
  29. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

When I built the car I had no intention of ever selling it but you know shit happens.

jimgoetz and lothiandon1940 like this.