Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why can't I sell my Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Mac, Dec 15, 2019.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

Stogy likes this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A lot of folks will look at that and think they can build one cheaper. That's the problem with there being so many fiberglass cars out there, it can affect the prices of the real steel ones in a negative way. And there is also the practically of it--a closed car is a better choice for many areas of the country, let's face it, not everybody has good enough weather to drive an open car all the time.

joeycarpunk and Stogy like this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

Holidays and winter will have an effect also. Maybe try more in the spring. Nice car

joeycarpunk, Jalopy Joker and Stogy like this.
  4. ken bogren

ken bogren

That's a really nice looking car! At $15,000 it seems like a great buy to me.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Very slick Hot Rod!
    You will probably regret selling it...so don't sell it!

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I really think the issue is the tribute paint. I bet if you reshot it in black you could up the price to cover the new paintjob and it would sell.

LOU WELLS, Thor1, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  7. ... when is the next BIG show ? Just missed Pistons & Paint ... while not massive, it had a good turnout.

Do you have to sell it in December ? Or is kicking the tires until Spring good ?

I'd take that sum' b*tch to the Roundup or a GoodGuys. It will sell with plenty of eyeballs on it.

That's a nice fuggin' car. Even Larry said so.

winduptoy, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a great bargain to me and I personally love the paint job, I don't see how a different color would help, and what a shame it'd be to cover that up.

First off, "If your a big person you probably can't get in it.(Sorry)" does limit your audience a bit, and the time of year is very poor.

That said, it's still a real good deal. As others have said, I hope you're not just advertising it here, this car will need more exposure than that to find a buyer. At the very least, Facebook Marketplace and some of the hotrod related Facebook buy/sell pages, probably worth the $5 to put it on Craigslist as well, although you'll do better to bring it back out in spring, even at $18K or best offer.

The problem is not the car or the price. It's more about timing and exposure.

9. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

Yours is good value for money.
    Just a slow market.
    Even i'm not hardcore enough to drive mine in the snow anymore. Doesn't mean it's not a good idea.
    When summer comes up north, maybe you'll be flooded with offers.

Stogy likes this.
  10. I buy and sell stuff every week. Its easy to sell a fender that cost me $20 for a $100. However when you hit the $1000. mark on something the Ready Willing & Able buyers are fewer and farther in between. I cannot turn a profit or break even of stuff I pay more than a $1000 for. Folks who sell stuff on credit can get buyers for high dollar stuff. I do not finance anything except for real estate. Your vehicle is In the category of those who want it don't have the cash money. And those who have the cash money don't want it. You yourself right now for whatever reason would rather have the cash money than your item. Just take it to Barrett Jackson or some big name auction. And it will sell for what its worth at that time and place.

11. I can usually part out any vehicle for more dollars than I can get for it in one piece. That's why I have killed over a thousand vehicles. Killed a complete Q code thunderbird this week.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

That Barrett Jackson suggestion is worth looking to, you are not that far away. Bob

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  13. The Car is worth what you are asking! Seems that the market is bad every place. But that hot rod needs more exposure. Ebay is where you will get it. I hate to say it but that is a fact. Another hint, just don’t bump your ad over and over. I delete the first bump then re-bump it. That way it always looks like you only bumped it once. It is a great looking car, but it is a limited audience. Maybe some Sunset Strip reruns would help. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

kadillackid, The37Kid and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Mr. Mac who stepped on your pipe...o_O...that's all I would address...and I'd be a pretty darn happy camper...

Hey Mac what's on the horizon Hotrod or Custom?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  15. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Surfcityrocker and Stogy like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

That’s a great looking car and it’s steel bodied, like he ^^^ said. I have two too many cars right now but I’d love to have it.
    I think Tagman is right, take it down, wait ‘til the winter and the holidays pass and folks start getting income tax refunds. Then re-list it for $18-19k. Hang in there, it’s a nice car, it’ll sell.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I personally like the "T" very much, I even showed the pic and add to a couple guy's (a month ago)that have double and even triple that amount in their recently bought "T"s. The color brings back good old memories of the '60's but todays buyers don't really care for it, they want resale pop out at you Red. If it's Red they want Blue, if it's an automatic they want a stick, if it's chopped they want it stock and so on. I would like to see a photoshop version of everything Blue being Black!

18. Jay59chevy

Jay59chevy

19. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I'd say that 97.258% of the public at large dont know the kookie T...I dont think that is the issue. I'd say the bit about not being for tall drivers doesnt help and sadly the fact that it is a T. It's a real neat looking and well done car....but T buckets are pretty impractical, fair weather cars...and while the price now is fair...its still a chunk of change.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    low down A, Surfcityrocker and blowby like this.
  20. If I could swing it right now, it would be in my garage. For the price it is a great T.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

My suggestion:

Take your T to a cool place in town, somewhere that looks old. Get some good aggressive shots of it both close up further away. Frame it in the shot with an old barn, a RR crossing, a bridge, whatever. Five shots of a gnarly ass T like yours photographed from a standing position in the grass and really close up isn't getting anyone excited about it at all. I know it's winter but that might make the photos more exciting for someone to look at too. They may think to themselves man would I love to put on a coat and hat right now and rip that thing through town, temperature be damned! Some cars sell themselves no matter the amount or quality of photos but other cars you need to "sell the dream." Give that 20 something kid a reason to take out a high interest loan!!

22. adam401

adam401

I agree with TagMan. Take it off the market till spring. It's over exposed. I bought and sold alot of off topic cars over the years of all types.
    When I'm looling for a flip,I look at cars that have sat. Alot of times they dont sell because they dont present themselves well in pictures. Bad pictures, or bad wheels on an otherwise cool car. Stuff like that. Sometimes they just sit because they're very personalized niche cars.

Here's your problems. Niche car. If it was black it would sell. Many young guys (im not really young anymore) even though they think they like a traditional car really like a more modern aesthetic. For me a car with flames, blue paint, red interior, whitewalls and shiny firewall is too busy for my taste. Its gonna take an older guy that can still get into a model T to purchase this car and thats a small market.
    I think its a nicely built car. I can appreciate the amount of work that went into it. Its a cool car you just have to find the right guy. That guy may not be on the hamb.

23. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Well, you say you've had 8000 hits and no one is interested? That is the nature of the Hamb and ebay and auto swapper and, on and on.... I looked at this thread because it's early morning and I can't sleep and it doesn't cost anything to look. I wouldn't let a lot of hits discourage you. I look at collector cars for sale (especially ones like mine) on line to get ideas, see how someone else did it, etc. I know nothing about T's but I sure like yours- has the look I like. I'm sure things will pick up in the spring. Good luck with the sale.

24. exterminator

exterminator

Don't change a thing on that car,it is beautiful and the price is more than fair for a finished car. Do take the words off your ad for not being for a large guy though. I can't believe it has not sold yet but all this means is the right person hasn't seen it yet. I would drive it to all the local car events and take it out when you and your wife go out to eat. Expose the car and your chances of selling it will be better. Exterminator

25. adam401

adam401

Just looked at the side profile picture again. It really is a good looking car.

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The car will sell. This time of the year isn’t the best time to sell it. It’s priced right hang in there it will sell

27. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool car... as some said time of year is a problem plus having no fenders and hood restrict you from good buyers because of DMV’s in many states now.. take it from someone who has 2 top less fender less cars ! Keep trying I would love to add that to my stable

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. catdad49

catdad49

Plain and simple, the Right person hasn't Seen it yet! It took me over a year to sell mine, put ads up and got a lot of trade offers, never did anyone come to look. Oh well, I still have room in the garage. Took it to my favorite show (because it's a nice ride) and someone bought it! A little less than my asking price and he never even sat in it! It was just what he was looking for and it was gone. I drove to his house, my Wife came with the title, he paid me and I had a ride home.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  29. jim snow

jim snow

Agree. Snowman

30. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

That is a gorgeous car, one couldn't build half of it for what you are asking and real steel on top of it all. A couple of problems: first a T bucket reaches a rather small audience. I like many others really like them but age has crept up and we are looking for a little more comfort. Then there is the time of year, from now to April is the worst for the collector car business. That doesn't seem to apply to the very high dollar cars, not necessarily hot rods, as they seem to sell for all the money anytime. The last which has been mentioned many times before is that our hobby is aging out, I'll bet barely 10 percent of 18 year old high school kids would know what a T bucket is or even a deuce coupe for that matter. Suggestions: Give it a rest until Spring and then come out with a whole new ad for the HAMB and Ebay and go back to $18k for starters. You might also try BAT(Bring a Trailer) which unfortunately will also come with some unpleasant comments from people who don't know shit about much of anything but have a computer and an attitude, you will need a thick skin. With that said however experience has shown me that stuff sells on there for at least what it is worth OR doesn't sell at all. Good Luck.