Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why can't I find a 1950's childs car seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne mcMichael, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

Way cool Wayne, glad ya finally hooked up cant wait for the pics.:D

2. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

My Dad made a plywood seat that went in the same place that I sat on when my Mom went along in his '58 MGA. Good times.

KRH

3. virginbebe

virginbebe

i think the one i have is the one you are showing from the 30's

4. FANTM58

FANTM58

I found this car crib while flipping through an old issue of Pop Mech Feb 1957.
    And I remembered this thread,

Attached Files:

5. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I found this child car seat / diner booster seat at a sale. There is a label On the bottom that reads Plymouth.

[​IMG]

The legs don't touch the seat when it is hung in car seat mode:
    [​IMG]

6. Model T1

Model T1

I love the pictue of the Austin Healey Sprite seat. I had a 1960 but never took the first rugrat with us in the Sprite.
    However I did make my own seat for the last kid out of a child's plastic lawn chair and a seat belt hooked to the T-top retaining brackets in our 1977 Vette.
    Those other seats were not safety seats. Just a way for the kids to see out while they rode. Just think, most of us here on the HAMB lived. And without all of these modern things to save our lives !
    I was probably even driving around Washington, Illinois without seat belts, child seats like above, or safety bumpers.

7. Thank god the government stepped in and makes us be safe. Otherwise none of us would be alive to post here :rolleyes:

8. Model T1

Model T1

In the real world you are not allowed to write God and government in the same sentence ! Ain't the American dream great ?

9. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I was born in 54 and was put in a seat like plym49 described. it wasn't a safety seat, just to keep a kid away from the steering wheel. I rode in one in Moms 50 Dodge 2 door and had a clear view out the windshield and stayed occupide.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I never noticed the seat before in this shot until today, found on another thread. RIP Norm. Gary

[​IMG]

11. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Hell the kid in this pic looks old enough to drive!! LOL :D

12. ChefMike

ChefMike

it was your moms arm extended out to bring you to a stop! there were no car seats back then

13. indyjps

indyjps

Grandpa reports - the only thing he remembers seeing were wicker baskets that had one flat side to rest against the seat. They had 2, he cut holes in it for lap belt to slide thru. It wasn't even sold as a car seat just a flat sided basket to make it easier to carry.

14. thebugbox

thebugbox

I know eBarf is generally frowned upon, but item number 330928683009 is the closest I've seen to a vintage car seat ever. I'm sure it isn't up to current safety standards, but it is darn cool.

[​IMG]

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Because they were unsafe and got tossed out. Why would you want one, other than display?

16. My dad would tell me stories of sliding around the back seat caus there were no seatbelts or car seat

17. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Normie Poo and Baby Poo. DD

18. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

I used to ride in the back window of our 59 Olds. Just me and my dinky cars...
    My mom and all of her friends would be smoking up a storm on the way to the beauty parlour.
    Its a wonder I survived - not riding in the back window - It was the air quality in that salon that would drop anybody today.

19. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

have to agree

20. kennb

kennb

I remember my brother and me used to climb up on the rear deck and lay there and wave at the people behind us through the back window. My uncle would get annoyed at us and hit the brake hard and we would come tumbling down. That was in the 50's. You'd go to jail and lose your kids if you did that now. Ken

21. a lot less fuckin lawyers then, time was simpler .......... now if we could get rid of the fuckin lawyers now .....hummmm

22. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

FWIW

We found a seat cover sampler that displayed auto seat covers in miniature. Placed in back seat and our small child enjoyed the additional visability.

In no way would it be considered a "safety" seat.

My car had "Ford" with the cast aluminum buckle, seat belts in the mid 50s, insrtalled after I did a college paper about seat belts in 1955.

Jack