Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Why aren't there any other kinds of HAMB events?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, May 16, 2012.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gang,
    Ok, so we have HAMB drags, and pre-64 traditional car shows, and CNC-proof shows, but why no HAMB oval track events? Or timed speed runs? Or hill climbs? Or autocrosses? Or day long cruises or rallys (reliabilty runs)? Or??? With vintage cars and motorcycles and other vintage gizmos? Gary

2. squirrel

squirrel

sounds like someone is volunteering to start a new event

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It takes manpower...and money...and a place open to it...and it takes a lot of time to work out all the details.

R-

4. I attended the Cinematic a few years ago and had an awesome time! Got to see Denise, Megan, Earl Scheib and a bunch of other cool folks. The Geauga drive-in theater where it was held was demolished not long after that event. I guess the bare land was worth more than the business. Would love to see that type of event at another venue.

Jim

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

they just had a reliability run in the last month or so in Austin.

And the run to and from the HAMB Drags is a reliability run.

6. moefuzz

moefuzz

We have had 2 successful reliability runs up here, info on the third should be coming up shortly
    (Alberta HAMB reliability run)

7. Squablow

Squablow

Start one. Good events centered around traditional cars will draw lots of spectators and participants if they're planned and organized properly. We're trying to get a road rally started up here, did a "test" rally last year and learned a lot, will tweak it again, run another one this year, then hopefully open it up to the public next year.

It's hard work to plan and put on an event, especially when people bitch and moan about having to pay a $10 entrance fee or cry about getting turned away because they showed up in a car with '94 Cadillac tail lights and a Flaming (homo) River steering wheel on it.

8. Run? For you it's more like a marathon.....:eek::D

(I wanna see barn pics from your new crib, btw:cool:)

9. Step up and put something on. We did the HAMBnHog Reliability Run for a couple years during the Sturgis Rally. It will return when I get the homestead finally squared away. It really does not take much effort to put on a nice small event. You don't need to rent a fairgrounds. Just get a good group of like minded folk together AND DO SOMETHING!

And also look around. About every club out there puts something on. Czars,Road Rockets,Vagabonds,Suedes are a few that come to mind for having events. Not to mention others like the Poor Boys, Road Deveils etc................

10. There is actually at least one reliability run here in KC. The Kansas City Speed n Power tour. It is an invitational.

A reliability run is probably the easiest to organize. Less liability than a race as a rule and less cost.

I actually have thought that an underwater thing with say vehicles like the Moniter would be cool. ;)

Ther is no reason in the world that you can't get together with some of the locals or your club and sponsor something and perhaps if you invited us some of us would make it. There were only 15 (give ot take) at the first HAMB Drags. But once it was shown how much fun it could be it blossomed.

11. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Bad Bob makes it happen. That's why he's Bad Bob. Your welcome to be "Bad gnichols"

12. Hill climbs and ovals demand a more "purpose built" machine than most of us HAMBrs drive and present the highest levels of damage, injury and in$urance risks. With our street or drag vehicles, the timed speed run you mentioned has the most possibilities. Change up gears and set up classes. Maybe we could use the Texas Mile venue.
    Chuck

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sorry for not being able to promote an event, just too old and lazy, so I'll just have to stay plain old me then.

As for the other events mentioned, with a few notable exceptions, they are for the most part just the same as all the other car shows +/- music, pinstriping, vendors and a swap meet. Or possibly a DJ if the local bands don't have anything to say about it.

And many day-long club rides (reliabilty runs) are often for club members only or special friends. I was thinking more along the lines of adding another "competitive" activity to a regular show. I know there are plenty of old timers and banger guys doing vintage racing (straight line, oval or up the hill) but how about coordiating some of those events with the car show and allow the non race cars to also participate? Someting like those crazy Scandanavians and Brits who race up dirt trails, thru gravel pits and ford creeks! Hey, I'm just brain storming here, trying to see what you guys can throw in the pot. Gary

14. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I have attended and always driven to-Street Rod events for the past twenty years. I am experiencing burnout and now have my most enjoyment at events where something is going on(automotive activities) in addition to the typical lawn-chair event. I've been to and participated in all of the HambDrags. We participated in Ryan's K.C. Speed and Power Tour. My group of running mates attended GoodGuys Indy a bunch of times. I have watched videos of the U.K. hill climb events and would really like to build a purpose built roadster or modified and give it a try. As others have stated, promoting an event is risky, expensive and takes a lot of manpower. Insurance coverage is usually the killer. Hopefully, adventurous souls will come forward and give it a try. Sam

15. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Someting like those crazy Scandanavians and Brits who race up dirt trails, thru gravel pits and ford creeks! Hey, I'm just brain storming here, trying to see what you guys can throw in the pot. Gary[/QUOTE]

Crazy Europeans dont have American lawyers chasing every ambulance!

16. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I organized a couple of Route 66 tours at the 2nd and 3rd of HAMB Drags, and with the help of others did a poker run at the 4th HAMB Drags. As simple as it sounds they are still a lot of work but a lot of fun. They both turned out to be a reliability run of sorts. My brother (MO JUNK) followed the group and picked up the pieces. Since we have enough activities to keep everyone busy, we discontinued these runs during the HAMB Drags.

John

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You really need to attend the Jalopy Showdown. It is exactly the type of event you are looking for.

18. Great point Denise, I'll add the Vintage Torquefest that is loosely based on the Showdown. Gary, think carshow with the ciricle track open to hot laps in your car!

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

If you want it- then do it! No excuses. No whining.

Here's one we put on out here in the Mid-West:

Annual HAMB-B-Q

You are welcome to come out for next year.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Exactly. There are 100s of dirt tracks, but only a couple events like this. Why not more at places all around the country? Gary

21. And as a participant in those tours(ride-along with BobK), let me say thanks, John. I enjoyed the sights and the fellowship. :cool:

22. there are already reliabilty runs arond the country affiliated= HAMBL=Y,ya gotta get invited thats all

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

id love to see some hamb activity down here where i live. if its happenning around here i havent heard about it.the cruz ins are more like a sit in and i could do that in my shop.

24. Here is an idea. Find a somewhat local SCCA club that does the solo rallys. Get a few hot rods together and go play. You could turn it into a fun day with a cruise to and from. Beat on the rods to see how they stack up against the 5.0s and Supras.

Or talk to the local strip and see if they will to a class for your club/s and streetrods to play for the day. Our 1/8th mile does this.

And I have searched out places locally to do something like the Euro hillclimbs. Haven't got that one all sussed out yet.

25. You answered your own question. Too many guys are just waiting for others to step up and do the work.

26. Firefly

Firefly

Ohhhhhhhhh, lookie, lookie Mike - congrats! Official classification of Coolsville!!

I knew it was only a matter of time before folks realised :D

27. pecker head

pecker head

Reliability run in DENISON TEXAS this weekend ! ATLAS SPEED AND CUSTOM open house !

28. Speed~On

Speed~On

Oh there is......it's called Torque Fest! That's Iowa baby. Not pimpin the show....but it's pretty much HAMB Fest. Dirt track oval racing...BOTH vintage race cars and if you want....take YOUR car on the dirt track for some hot laps. It's pretty much bad ass! Like I said, not pimpim the show....but I would venture a guess the majority of the attendees are on the HAMB and it's ALL about vintage hot rods.

29. One of the issues we have here in Western South Dakota is that MOST OF YOU are a day or two drive away! But, we are getting a brand new two plex drive in theater. Mention of the Cinematic has my wheels turning!

30. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I guess people are just busy living life. We tried to get HAMB get together here in Lubbock a few weeks ago. I sent out 30 emails to area HAMBERS and only two of us showed up. pretty disappointing...