Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Why are customs dying?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 8, 2021.

1. I wouldn’t say that customs are dying. Yes, there is a lack of interest among the younger generation. But at the same time, the younger people who are into customs are die hards.

plus, a lot of it has to do with the price. It’s cheaper to buy/build a 90s Honda or early 2000s mustang. Take that into consideration that jobs don’t pay shit, bills and rent are expensive..

Special Ed and Squablow like this.
  2. Ok...I dig these cars...nosed, decked, remove some badging...basically smooth it out, do something with the paint, lower it, chrome reverse wheels, skinny whites...ya got a nice mild Kustom driver on the cheap..
    F2D2400A-C9DC-4AE3-95D1-D5E6E394A2FC.jpeg

Roothawg and guthriesmith like this.
  3. I keep hearing jobs don’t pay shit...I drive by $18.00 an hour jobs daily...and here’s this one...
    019FA5A0-0DD2-4B12-BF0F-E9696FC3BBC5.jpeg

egads likes this.
  4. You think that someone in their early/mid 20s can live and build a custom for $18 an hour?

Come on man… think about it. You make $18 an hour. Let’s say that you get 50 hours a week. You’re buying or renting a house. That’s $1500-$2000 a month. You’re buying a car(a dependable daily) that’s another $500 a month(used car)
    Plus the cost of living.

you think the person in this situation is gonna be able to afford the prices that these cars are going for or be able to afford to build one?

5. twenty8

twenty8

$18 an hour is about what a minimum wage earner gets here in Australia, and our dollar is worth about two knobs of goat shit compared to yours. Any form of auto hobby is pretty much out of the question on this money unless you are a very handy guy, and have a lot of spare time.............. The hot rod/custom direction has become somewhat out of reach for the average man on the street (well, to do it properly at least).:oops:

6. I visit a few shops
    I see customs being built.
    I see customs at shows.
    The % of customs that fit the forum rules are low

as far as build costs. I guess if you can’t turn a wrench they’re high. If you can turn a wrench, scrounge and aren’t very picky, you can build some cheap stuff.

7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

We need an "INVISIBLE" button, so that the "IGNORED" can not see any of your posts...;)

210superair and Roothawg like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I lurk on that site a lot. That’s one of the ones I was talking about.

dmikulec likes this.
  9. I’m not trying to argue.. but it’s annoying when people think that money isn’t a factor when it comes to having an automotive hobby.

Instead of worrying about if customs are dying… we need to start exposing more people to custom cars and helping them learn.

stanlow69, Special Ed and Squablow like this.
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I agree with Anthony and twenty8, if I didn't work on the stuff I own myself, I probably couldn't afford to own it. Ya gotta have good experience, or deep pockets to even own a classic anything. When I explain it to people who ask, especially on the wood boat, I tell um classics are like going to a fancy bar. The cost of your vehicle is the cover charge to get in. You still gotta buy drinks, etc. And I don't know about you, but I can drink a lot. Is this still an analogy? Lol.

lonejacklarry, egads, twenty8 and 2 others like this.
  11. Won’t happen here.
    But every now and then, when you remove your HAMB colored glasses, you will see a world of custom rides.
    May possibly be shocked that a young person is involved.

12. Yep.
    I don’t own a newer ride for myself.
    I don’t want one. I like my bus and old truck.
    Spend $50-$100 bucks on fuel to cruise? I’d rather do that than a movie.
    You can buy a lot of parts without a new truck payment.
    But ya better know how or learn fast

13. twenty8

twenty8

There is another thread kicking around at the moment that sheds some light on the affordability issue.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-do-you-do-for-a-living.1218845/
    Check it out, and take note of what many actually do for a buck. Guys who can't justify the dollars to build stuff that we think is acceptable are still building stuff, maybe just not to such a stringent standard. Dare I mention the word 'rodent'? Sure, I am in total agreeance with the HAMB mantra, but we may be becoming fewer........................:eek::eek::eek:

210superair likes this.
  14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

20210608_205728.jpg

15. twenty8

twenty8

I never said I agree with it...................[Ducks and runs for cover !!!!]

210superair likes this.
  16. My junk is called “rodent” by many.
    I’ve built plenty of “non rodent”. Personally I prefer an“as found” look. I haul parts, jump tracks, drive down bad roads, rain mud whatever.
    I’m more than happy to help someone build their vision of perfection. I just don’t understand why some can’t comprehend mine.

17. The people who are surprised by the younger people into this stuff need to come to my shop one weekend. There’s a small group of us who hang out. I’m 28 and I’m the “old guy”

egads, F-ONE, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  18. twenty8

twenty8

Don't get me wrong, I know quite a few nippers into rods and customs, and it warms an old gearhead's heart. There just isn't as many as we would like, but they have to follow their own vision and direction..... If I had 'oldies' telling me how to do it when my ass was the size of a shirt button, I would probably be into something entirely different. Golf maybe ..........................maybe not........:D:D:D

19. I wish their were more of us. I get ALOT of weird looks when I tell people that I have a 63 falcon and a 55 Oldsmobile haha

Squablow and 210superair like this.
  20. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

here's the custom challenge-take a car that today's high-schooler ends up with[his dad,grandmother,sister,etc gave it to him] and customise it with parts NO OLDER than say,1980.This is going to be a 20 year old ,4-door,probably front drive car.The no parts older than 1980 is going to be what he can find in junk yards that he can afford.He won't have the tools,but just like in the 50's his dad/uncle/neighbor will.He will have to make the modifications on at a time ,because its his only car and he needs it to get to school and part time job[just like in the 50's]Encourage him instead of making fun at his ideas and choices.Photo shop guys,get it rolling

21. twenty8

twenty8

Nothing wrong with 'weird'. Makes you stand out from the beige, boring crowd. Wear it with pride........

Love_The_Lifestyle likes this.
  22. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

It seems to me I read something like this Twenty years ago. But then it was that where are all these Kustoms coming from . Funny how history repeats it self. For me I was kustom when kustom wasn't kustom.

23. EDAA1660-31DC-4412-8527-0C107BE1B9AA.jpeg
    can still be done for even older junk.
    My youngest and I built this last summer.
    Not a hotrod but “custom” V8 swapped, suspension and brake mods.
    Licensed, running as driving for less than $1500.
    Now I’m sure having a dad with a shop is not entirely fare for comparison. But it’s his vision.
    If it were mine, it’d be slammed.

Tman, hotrodjack33 and oldtom69 like this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

I agree. I had typed out something similar but you said it a lot better (nicer) than me. I think a lot of guys tend to price out cars, parts, and hourly labor like it's still 2001. That was 20 years ago, fellas.

I also agree with those who are saying it's much cheaper if you can build one yourself. But keep in mind, that requires at least some shop space and a lot of tools, in addition to experience. Shop space is pricey.

I don't see a lot of 20-somethings driving around in 60's era Ferraris either, but I don't automatically assume they all dislike those cars.

Phillips, UNSHINED 2 and twenty8 like this.
  25. ken bogren

ken bogren

nothing wrong with a 63 falcon!

BTW my Falcon was about $6,000 when I bought it in 2008 and I arguably overpaid by a couple thousand if you read some price guides. Since then to keep it running it's gotten a gas tank, a radiator, some steering stuff and tires. Probably less than 1,500 spent in total in 13 years.
    It shows its age and I'm fine with that.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just speaking from my own point of view, I never was into customs. Even as a young guy in the 60's and just starting to drive, customs did very little to interest me.
    I can appreciate all the time and skill it takes to build them, but beyond mild customs, or chopped tops, I usually prefer the original lines of factory cars much more than customs. And the more exotic a custom is, the less I usually find it appealing.

lonejacklarry and 210superair like this.
  27. On a side note.
    I have a 56 wagon and 50 merc in the shop (don’t get too excited, they’re 4 doors). I told the youngest at around 15, let’s make one run and stop for ya. He declined. The same for an early 2nd gen Camaro and FB mustang. But when I drug that beater flatbed truck home, he said “that’s it”
    He has since purchased a 50 cj3a beater and has began the deconstruction. His appreciation for older cars has changed a lot. He’s starting to dig the merc now.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  28. twenty8

twenty8

I agree. Just because we age and get some gray hair doesn't mean we need to dye it. Same for our cars.........

29. twenty8

twenty8

I'm certainly not 15 any more, but would you be interested in making one run and stop for me....:p

anthony myrick likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And you were taught to stand up when a woman entered a room.

Roothawg, F-ONE and Special Ed like this.