Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Why are Covico wheels getting so hard to find...???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powrshftr, Jul 10, 2018.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

So I’ve been looking for quite a while for a Covico steering wheel with that real deep dish,around 6”-8”,with about a 13” diameter.
    I find 15” diameter wheels,or wheels with a shallow 3-1/2” dish all day long,but it seems like there are just not any of those deeply dished,13” diameter wheels out there any more.

Is it possible that there just weren’t that many made in the first place,and most of them just got junked in used up old race cars?
    This wheel is pretty essential to my A/FX project,and the right hand drive Falcon steering box to mount outside the frame rail has actually proven to be easier to find than this steering wheel.

Anybody know of a source for reproduction wheels with similar dimensions,or a legit original?I really wanna do this car right...I’ve been chasing these A/FX cars since I was 12 years old.
    Thanks,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Got pictures?.?

powrshftr likes this.
  3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Scott , Check out Rex Marine. They offer the covico wheel in 12 and 13 inch and list it as deep dish. I guess they are still used in boat and racing kart applications. Had one in a dune buggey in the 70's and a t bucket in the 90's. Hold on tight! lol Larry

powrshftr and Deuces like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

[​IMG]

Something like this is what I need...

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hi Larry!
    I checked out Rex Marine,and their deep dish wheel is only about 3-1/2” deep.
    Apparently Covico is still in production,and popular with the boat and kart racing guys.
    Thanks,

Scott

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  7. powrshftr

powrshftr

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Not as many made as the larger size. Plus they're "collectible", which means like Moon, Eelco, etc. there are individuals that have and will buy up every one they can get their hands on so they can wall hang/display them.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Most people want the dished 3 hole(smaller center hole) like on Milner's coupe... Sold one of those last year for $225....

10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can’t resist it, the “Milner” wheel is not a Covico product . That is a Grant product that was not even made yet in 1962. The A/FX deep dish Covico is a rare bird indeed . I have been stalking “even spaced” real Covico’s for about 45 years and have never found one of those Gas Ronda specials in my quest. 6B3FA41A-3030-47E5-AD4B-282730B4A448.jpeg AAC4D354-527C-4484-8D2B-DEF595563567.jpeg E059CCE2-C505-4731-BB8D-E127B7512760.jpeg 7A00F294-EF5D-4FBA-ADA6-213DFCA148BC.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

powrshftr likes this.
  12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Larry,
    I hate to let y’all down,but I don’t think I’m gonna have too many victories at the Meltdown.
    With Family commitments and unforeseen expenses popping up,I couldn’t afford the upgrade to the proper clutch with adjustable base pressure and adjustable counterweights,so I’ve got my old unit in there.
    It’s non-adjustable,and running 2400lbs of base pressure,vs the 600-800lbs of base that Mike at Ram recommends,so it’s almost impossible to get it out of the hole without bogging or smoking the tires hard.
    If you try to slip it,it will fry like I did last time....lol
    Keep your fingers crossed,and maybe we’ll catch ol Jeffro asleep at the tree.
    Thanks for all your support!

Scott

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Called Covico this morning,and the deepest dish they build is 3” these days,so that’s a bust.The Lady I spoke to seemed pretty crusty,too....must have caught her on a bad day.Hope she has a better one tomorrow.
    Called Grant shortly after,and their 13” wheel only comes in a 3-1/2” dish,but they offer a 2-1/2” spacer kit,so that may get me close on the function,but definitely not the look.
    I’ll just keep trying to find a used unit.Keep your eyes peeled,if you would please fellas.

Thanks,

Scott

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

The steering wheel in the picture almost looks home made. It has the standard chrome spokes at the column, but the outer 3" near the rim, is missing the holes and the chrome. Like someone cut the rim off and added the extra length to the spokes.

Maybe you need to adapt a 3 1/2' deep wheel to make your 6" deep. If you cut the spokes in the center of the length and added metal to the spokes, you could probably get by without damaging the rim. Gene

powrshftr likes this.
  15. powrshftr

powrshftr

That’s not a bad idea Gene.
    I can say for 100% certain that the wheel in the photo is a production Covico item,because all 11 of the factory A/FX cars in 65 had the same wheel.
    I got really hung up on it after sitting in the Gas Ronda car.The ergonomics are absolutely perfect;the wheel falls right where your hands would naturally be to drive,and the rim is far enough back that it doesn’t interfere with your left knee when clutching.
    I might take a crack at welding up a fabricated one,as you say.The 3-1/2” wheels are everywhere,so if I Wreck one,it won’t be a huge loss.

Scott

bowie likes this.