Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are 4 doors bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

4 drs are ok if its a station wagon

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are good looking 4 Doors, but 2 Doors always look nicer to me. Close coupled sedand from the late '20's - '30's are really nice, so are 4 Door Hardtops from the '50's. I think it is sound advice to give to new people in the hobby that starting with a 2 Door is a better bet than a 4 Door. Labor on both would be about the same, but resale on a 2 Door is much better.

3. Ask James Maxwell.....he's a super hugh fan of them, although he never got laid in one

4. THANK YOU for giving me REASONS!!!!! Not just personal statements!!!
    This is the kind of answer i was looking for!!!

5. I didnt mean to come off that all older guys think they are "bad"
    but the comments usually come from older guys.
    Your car looks badass!! verrry nice build

6. Larry T

Larry T

Because it's what your parents and grandparents drive. Nuff said.
    Larry T

7. 49dodgecoronet

49dodgecoronet
    from Roland Mb

4 doors are just as cool as 2 doors who cares its a classic as long as you enjoy it that's all that matters.

8. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Dont ask car show guys what they think is cool. I mean, they are at a car show.....
    Great place for ideas, opinions not so much. Build what you like or can afford. There would be 100,000 32 Fords if those were not the rules.

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

4 doors makes you think "grocery getter" or "family car". When I was young, I would never own a 4 door, but now, their kinda cool (but I'm an old dude now). I think the reason those guys said "throwing money at a 4 door is a waste of money" is because 4 doors sell cheaper than a comparable 2 door.

10. I think there are a lot of guys out there that deny themselves the experience of owning/driving an old car just because it has a couple extra doors. Maybe not as stylish or sporty as their two door counterparts to some-but done right they can be mighty nice just the same-and usually cheaper. Excellent cruisers-fun for the whole family or all your buddies at the same time
    Just a shame there are many who never enjoy an old car because they're too proud to have a four door.

11. weez

weez

Point #2 was what I was going to say.

That said, some cars do rule as 4 doors, like a Continental or a Brougham De Ville, because they were designed that way on purpose, and were well designed.

12. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

It is a lot easier for you old guys to get in the back seat with your old "OLD LADYS"

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What's hotrod about any car? What's hotrod is what you make it. I've seen lots of 2 dr. cars that didn't look hotrod, and lots of 4dr cars that looked as hotrod as anything.
    Sure us older guys grew up thinking dad and mom drove a 4dr and we wouldn't own one as a hotrod, but now that I'm old too I figured out 4drs. can make great hotrods too! :)
    This is what's hotrod about a 4dr.
    [​IMG]

14. flthd

flthd

They are also good to practice your metalworking skills on.

15. screwball

screwball

I have a non politically correct four door and have a huge collection of vintage pocket size magazines there were lots of four doors back in the day. I do not care what any one says about my car anymore Ive been in the hobby to long to care what others say. I love tourings and they were the first hot rod four doors.

16. Eight433

Eight433

Wouldn't trade my 4 door hard top for a 2 door for anything. I like the roof line better, I like the longer window opening, and I like the accessibility. The car is a road tripper/party wagon for me, and once I get the paint done and the doors shaved, I'd bet most people who see it drive down the road won't even realize it's a 4 door.

But to be fair, it's a cruiser, not a hot rod. Would I try to build a 4 door hot rod? Nope. Would I put someone else down for doing so? Nope. The trick is, don't listen to these keyboard commando's. I know the HAMB is a wealth of information, but I never realized that a so called hot rodder or customizer could be so closed minded, let alone amass in such numbers as they do here. If it weren't for people doing things to their cars that others did not approve of, there would have been no birth of the hot rod.

17. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I used to be strictly a two door guy...Then I stopped caring what other people thought., I like what I like.

18. Drive Em

Drive Em

In my opinion, having a two door wagon is like having a two door dually truck-lame!!!

19. Abomb

Abomb

Exactly, four door cars that had some dedicated design time spent on them most of the time hit the mark style wise. I think the buick design guys nailed it with the 4 door hardtops of the mid fifties. Apparently, the chevy guys thought they had too, so in 1956 and 57 they had a fourdoor hardtop themselves, and they look great. The GM 4 door hardtops of 59 and 60 look a little goofy to me though....

In the end, personal opinion rules here, what I think looks good, may be the worst looking car ever in someone else's eyes.

I posted the LOGICAL (to me) reasons above, I don't overlook the money factor...it is a hobby to me, but I don't have enough money to over look the money factor.....which sounds funny, I know, but it's like renting vs owning a home....the money you spend can either be building equity for YOU, or be going into some other dudes pocket....the money you spend fixing up a car can be increasing the value (equity) or be wasted, because you spend more money than the car will ever be worth...like adding a $10,000 kitchen and a wine celler in an old trailer house.

I know, I'm a weirdo when it comes to analogies....:D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  20. 51fordor

51fordor

I agree that yes a 2 door does look better, but I do own a 51 ford 4 door and the wife has a 63 chevy II 4 door and we both love them. If you are looking to build a car to sell and make your money back then forget it, but if you are wanting a car to just enjoy the hell out of then who cares what others think? The way I see it you are still saving that car from the crusher or waisting away to nothing in the yard. Build it and drive the hell out of it!

21. 1320/150

1320/150

I had this 3 months lowered it,cleaned it made a grand profit....... I miss it!!!

4 doors are cool they just aren't 2 doors!!! WAGONS EXCLUDED!!!!!!

I recommend when purchasing a 4 door make sure it can do without a paint job (unless you paint the car). I think a reputable paint job alone can bring a 4 door over its value!!!

If this was a wagon it would still be in my possesion!!!

[​IMG]

22. screwball

screwball

The elitists will never accept a four door as they cant flip them for big bucks.Why would you ever get into this hobby if not for money you cant just like old cars any more it seems. To me there are way to many people more interested in the money than the cars these days. Sorry for my rant.. I'm a proud four door owner and a member of the LOSERS c.c. just for that reason.

23. I used to think the only good 4 doors are four door wagons, but two weeks ago I saw the baddest four door I've ever seen. It was a black chopped four door merc parked infront of the Continental Club in Austin.

24. oh ya...here's my four door!! Looks pretty cool if you ask me! I'd be lying if I said I'd rather have it be a 4 door over a 2 door though!!! p.s. It's for sale!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Now I feel like I may have joined the wrong forum. I thought this was about people building and enjoying their cars. According to this thread thats not the case. It's a forum for people who buy and sell cars for profit. Can someone provide me with a link to a forum for people who want to build cars to drive. Kinda feel like I'm not welcome here because I was looking for information and support to build me a car to go out and cruise in. And boy, did not know there were so many uppity, my cars better than your car types in here. I've seen a few cars on this forum that I couldn't understand the reasoning on but I've still given them the thumbs up and full support. How would you like for people to come up to you and tell you your wife was a fugly piece of shit. I picked my car and I picked my wife. I'm the one that has to live with them both. To me it's kinda one of them if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all kind of things. Go check all my post (I could be wrong) and I think you will find I have not made any negative remarks about other people's cars. But since I have 4 dr cars I'll try to refrain from posting about them and save the server space for the important cars.

26. Sure there's some cool fourdoors around, but arguing for them normally puts you in the same crowd as the folks who will be singing the praises of today's minivans in 40 years.

Hell--not only don't I want a four door, I don't want a 2 door post after about '55 if there was a pillarless hardtop available.

27. Abomb

Abomb

Why are people with rational reasons to not buy 4 doors "elitists" ?

I'm not knocking your choice in cars, just explaining why I make the ones I do. I really don't care what other people want to build, the original poster asked a question, I gave him my reasons....I love old cars, but I don't see any reason why I should lose money on purpose...what's better than a hobby that helps pay for itself overtime? If you don't care about money, more power to you.

Edit....I am not knocking anyones car here, but I sense some sort of unneeded inferiority complex issues coming out now. Please feel free to disregard anything I have posted, it's not a direct attack on anyone or anyones car.....I just don't have any money to waste, and I try to look at everything in life as an investment, whether I'm investing my time, or my hard earned money.

If you love and enjoy your 4 door, then you have not wasted your money.....

28. I see what you're talking about Sam, don't let a few negative remarks discourage you about the HAMB. I don't think most of the comments were digs either, they were opinions...and everyone is entitled to one, but doesn't mean you have to agree.

29. samurai mike

samurai mike

well said z man. thats what i was going to say!

30. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

If a 2 door roach 57 Chevy is going for $5000.00, and a relatively clean 4 door is $2500.000.
    The point of the 2 door selling for more means nothing, because I dont have 5 grand to bring home a basket case. but a cheaper driver might get me around, and let me have some fun.
    I'm 44, at one time I would never own a 4 door( the"COOL" thing), but now days with Badass 4 door Hemi Chargers and stuff, the whole thing about 2 door muscle cars doesn't really hold true.
    And frankly makes us look like stodgy old geezers.
    Any young kid who is into old cars is bucking the system, IF his friends are into cars at all, they say things like "veetech" and talk about the pulsewidth their injectors are firing at. They are NOT talking about wide whites and dummy spots.
    Us old guys should be a little more careful when putting down a kids old car (even a 4door), we might just chase him back to the Honda Gang
    I find it really funny, and a little sad, that all of us telling this kid how 4 doors are old man cars, are probably old men ourselves. And yes," the music is too loud",'"and those damn kids dress like fools" ...etc.

SO, to answer your question...2 Doors are cooler because dudes who put grease ON their hair, and rolled up the cuffs of their jeans (until socks showed), thought they were cooler...thats it.

AND they are the ones with enough money to pay extra for 2 doors...so they are worth more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.