Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are 4 doors bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I like this guy.

See thats what i was thinking.
    Some of these guys just cant afford some of these amazing 2 doors, and still put their passion for cars into it.
    but still you will always get "...but its a for door"

I just think that in the future, all these aold cars will be worth something.
    now the guys trying to sell their 4 doors and try to "make money" maybe arent the smartest because obviously the world wants that perfect 2dr ht.
    but for us young guys who are just trying to get in the sport and enjoy working on somehting old, a more affordable 4 door seems like the way to go...

2. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

huh... I like 4-doors. After i shave the handles, weld the gaps ...and
    IT GIVES THE OLE LADY MORE SHIT TO SLAM

3. Tx51chevy

Tx51chevy
    from Texas

I agree that 2 doors are cooler than 4 doors but at this point in my life I just cant afford certain 2 doors. For example I wanted a 57 chevy so I found a Belair 4 door and bought it. Yeah i would rather have a 2 door but there is no way i could have found one for the price I got my 4 door.

4. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

I've always had four doors. I got into hot rodding when I was 16 and I still can't afford a nice two-door. I love my four doors, and will eventually get into that '59 coupe De'ville i always dream of...

5. but my main question is why do older guys give us younger guys sooo much shit saying "its a waste of money" when we fix up four doors???

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

cuz they have a 2 door...

7. big creep

big creep

do what you want, since you dont care what people say to you about 4 doors! stop asking and JUST DO IT! BOOM DONE!

8. @53Vicky, would you really want to be seen driving a 4 door?

9. If the fun you have with a 4 door is worth the money you spend on it, than it aint a waste. That being said, It's a waste of money.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it's hard to recoup the money you put into a 2 door. A 4 door is impossible. That's what they mean. You will get a much lower percentage of your money back if you sell.

11. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i like four doors,and i have had a bunch of them. but they aint worth shit even when fixed up. if you do build one do it for yourself because you wont make alot flipping it.

12. Cking5148

Cking5148
    from La Mesa,CA

I have seen 4 doors that turned out bitchin, but I wouldn't own one except for a parts car or to flip for a quick buck. Guess I can thank my pops for sticking that mentality in my young impressionable mind.

13. TERPU

TERPU

Just depends on what the Four Door Is.

[​IMG]

The "Old Guys" are right though. A regular Family Sedan lacks alot when it's a four door compared to a Two Door. They just aren't as cool in the main. But the same old saying goes "it's your car make whatever it is yours and enjoy it".

Tim

14. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because they have their two doors and they have a desperate need to shit on someone for whatever personal malfunction reason.

15. Here is my 4-Door 39...Gotta luv it...built every bit as good as a coupe or tudor...yea, I have a coupe too (I'm lucky), but still like this 39 ...A lot!!

Attached Files:

16. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

I guess it depends on what you want to do with a four door. I have had a couple myself. My experience is "yes" they are cheaper to obtain, but the resale is the same. Why spend a bunch of money on something that does not have much resale value as a two door.

17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Huh, someday someone might have the last original 4 door "whatever" and sell it to a collector. It's all just history I guess.

18. When I was a kid growing up in the 70's four doors were mom and dad cars or parts cars. Wagons were mom and dad cars. Falcons, Comets, Ramblers, AMC, Cadillac, Lincoln, Chrysler, International, these were all either dork cars or old people cars.

Times change I guess. I even like some four doors and wagons done up right. Just dont try to make a four door a hot rod type car. Course this is just my opinion, yours may vary =)

Oh and I still consider some of those cars dork cars LOL.

19. R.seghi - if it looked like this hell yeah! haha

[​IMG]

so i guess my question is answered, it all comes down to the money aspect of it...
    for just fun and pleasure i guess its ok, cause for me, its just fun, a hobby/ passion, not a money maker...
    would i like to make more money when i sell them in the futer DUH!!!
    but if thats all you into this stuff for, idk what to think then. lol

20. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

An old car is an old car, people care too much what others think.

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ha, always thought the early falcons were the miata of today. The falcon gassers built today look fun as hell.

22. im not trying to change people minds, im just curious 'why', thats all. not trying to change how the world thinks. lol

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Any name calling,threats or stupid bullshit and this will get locked.
    State your opinions and keep it civil.
    Thank you for your patience.:)

24. Cortney

Cortney

It all depends on the car itself. For example, certain year Caddys that were 4dr actually had a roof that was lower than the 2dr models and it was stock. I've also seen chopped early 50's Chevys that I had to look twice b-4 I noticed they were 4drs! As far as 2drs being "worth more", Nothing is worth Anything unless its for sell!!! If you want to build something for the sole purpose of selling it to make a profit, then 2dr is most commonly the way to go. But if you just want something that YOU think is cool, then by all means, get whatever YOU like!!! In the end, its YOUR car, not the guy making negative remarks about it as he walks by. Just my $0.02 as they say...

25. Cortney

Cortney

Well said!!!

26. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

Some four door cars can be converted to two doors with good results.
    Two door wagons can be hard to come by, some of the four door wagons
    can be converted to 2 door wagons that can look almost like factory built
    cars.

27. cause they are fugly! fugly ole' grandmas car. whats hotrod about a damn 4 door.

28. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I think on most cars the lines flow better on most two doors. That being said I would rather have an old 4 door than no old car. I like all of them if they are built safe and there is nothing like a sleeper 4 door with a big engine.

29. Look,I'm an older guy and I ain't giving you any Sh*t about 4 doors,,I happen to own one and I love it!,,and personally don't give a hairy rat's arse if anybody else does or not. HRP

[​IMG]

30. Abomb

Abomb

The reasons people don't like 4 doors are many, but the reasons that make the most sense to me are mostly posted above....

1. Money...you can't make your money back, unless you do a cheap, hack job....supply and demand is in effect here.

2. Style / Proportion...Almost every car ever designed, at least in the years we here are interested in were designed as 2 doors, then styling concessions were made to create 4 doors.

3. Old peoples cars....They were...when my kid needed a child seat, my 56 4 door wagon was just the ticket. He can now climb over the seat, sit in his booster and bucke himself....two door time.

More on the money....Some of you guys say the money doesn't matter, I beg to differ...here's my experience... I have fixed up a car every year or two for the last 15 years or so. Then I sell it for a bit of a profit, and buy a more desireable car, and start all over again. Great so far, keeps me in the garage and out of the bar. I make a little money, by some more tools, and buy the next project. After several years of this, I found myself in the position to buy the car I've wanted for 25 years, and I now have the shop, tools, and hopefully most of the experience to fix it up correctly.

I would have never made enough money to pull this off if I had just bought 4 doors because they were cheap and plentiful. The only 4 door I've ever owned was the 56 chevy wagon, and it's the car I had the hardest time selling....for the least amount of profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.