Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why 1964?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Kustomkarma, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

As long I can remember 1964 has always been the cut off date for Hot Rods and Customs when it comes to shows and events. Here lately I've even seen 1963 as a cut off date. My question is "Why 1964?" or 1963? What are the big things that differentiate a car made in '64 from say one made in '65 - '70. Are '64 and up considered Muscle Cars (obviously not all of them)? Anyone care to shed a little light on this? :confused:

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

3. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Around here the cut off is 1972 on most all shows

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Because George Orwell said so. :D

5. Fontucky Slim

Fontucky Slim

Spent years cruisin around Whittier, most "Cruise Night" cut offs were 1974.

6. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Mustangs and GTOs.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone

Cause thats when the hippies started taking over and the world went to shit. :)

8. Crankhole

Crankhole

I believe he said "1984". I'm going with the arrival of the Mustang theory.

9. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I thought the hippies brought us hot pants and bra burnings. Damn, now I'm all confused.

10. One time I think NSRA was 1948 IIRC, not that that mattered. I don't care much what anyone thinks a cut off year is. I can enjoy almost anything with wheels that someone has put their heart and soul into building it. And some things don't even need wheels.

Just my 2 cents, you can keep the change.

11. L.B.J. and the begining of the great society..
    [​IMG]

12. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

yeah - and that Buckwheat in a headlock look. :eek:

13. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I read the link to the old thread. Sorry to start this back up. I was just curious and hadn't figured that any one else would have cared enough to ask. D'oh!

14. 2-TONED

2-TONED

it all needs to be changed back to 1948 & older.
    BUT to keep the car hobby going & get bigger turnouts by going 1963 or 64 gets younger guys interested & keeps this hobby going.

15. 31whitey

31whitey

because thats when the FACTORY started building cars

that could beat what we and our buddies worked so hard building

in our garages...

16. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Store bought -vs- Home built.

17. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

taht and the cars got FU**ING UGLY!

18. Well... it used to be "don't cross 47th street" meaning after '47 fenders quit being bolted on (for the most part).

Now days pretty much anything goes just to fill up the parking lot. I guess that's just my old age talking.

19. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

They didn't take over until 1967 "The Summer of Love"

20. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

It's a completely arbitrary date. Don't try to analyze it. Someone just said 64, and 64 it is.

The way I figure it, no uni-body is traditional. So there you go, another arbitray exception.

But don't worry about it, as Good Guys and others have made a cut-off after the draft was ended. How arbitrary do you want to go :)

In other words, be happy, don't worry...

---
    I got an STD during the Summer of Love...

21. novadude

novadude

What about the 62-64 409s, 406/427 Fords, Max Wedge Mopars, 421 Pontiacs, solid lifter fuelie 283s, etc., etc?

22. autobilly

autobilly

I always thought that '47 was the cut off for hot rods in the pure term.
    Although anything modified for speed gets called a hot rod these days, post '47's became street machines.
    One things for sure, factory muscle cars put a real dampener on the whole do it your self/hop up scene.

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Because I was born in '65 and sadly, as a consequence, the world has been down hill ever since.

24. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

two words- MUSCLE CARS the building of hotrods dropped dramatically with the introduction of the mustang. why build it when you could buy it??

25. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

So Falcons aren't trad? their unibodies...so are alot of others...I could come up with a list but I'm lazy...

The cutoff date was for muscle cars...It's because shows were getting full of just Muscle cars, and the hot rod guys became kind of lost in the whole deal....But then there's some shows were the cut off is 73-74...so I can sneak my '74 Donk Impala in...*Evil Laugh*:D Time to infect the masses!!

And then of course there is the rule of '64 or same body style meaning cars newer than 64 that shared the same body...So all you Citroen DS guys are cool...I mean you '65 Rivi guys are ok....

26. Fenders

Fenders

Same here in Mass.... the Ty-Rods date from the early 1950s, and their September show in Lancaster Mass. is limited to 1972 and earlier...
    www.ty-rods.org

27. throttle

throttle
    from sfsd

I thought it was because 64 was the last year for the straight axle in the F100.:D

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

I moved this Thread to the Q & S Forum.

As Far as the Cut Off Date goes, that is only for the Classifieds.

Guidelines for the Main Board are, keep things Relevant and On Topic...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

29. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I guess you could say that I'm asking due to selfish reasons. =) I've almost got my car (a 1964) on the road after a year and a half and am coming to the realization that I won't be able to take it to some of the shows I'd like to attend without having to leave it in the parking lot. I'm still going to enjoy owning and driving it, but it's kind of a damper to realize that '64 isn't old enough. I've got some plans for a Model A I'm going to try to build, but it will be quite awhile (years) before that's on the road. I was just curious as to how the year was determined. After reading these posts, it seems that there are lots of answers. I guess it's one of those rules that has come to be.