Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whose Deuce is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyAsylum, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

I've seen this Deuce roadster for years and have a ton of photos of it, but I've never been able to find out its owner nor its history. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. fatkoop

fatkoop

Don Dillard's

3. There's a build up of it on Don's web page.....

4. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

5. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Oh no! My world has been crushed! It's faux patina! Arrrghhhh!

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Not all of it is fake, just the collision damaged areas, right?

7. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Didn't you read the build-up?....

8. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

That car is bitchin!

9. Skimmer

Skimmer

Certanly looks the real deal :D.......a credit to its builder

10. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Don is one of the coolest guys on the HAMB. I've never met him but talked to him on the phone once. His picture contributions here are amazing. I think he photographs every car he sees at the many shows he attends.

11. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

No, the patina was applied before the collision. The frame and suspension are aftermarket and very well crafted. The repop Auburn dash, gauges and Ididit steering column are all what one would expect to find in a well-built street rod.

I have no beef with Don...I admire his work and photography quite a bit. I was just under the impression that the patina was original, somewhat like Baskerville's. I was somewhat disappointed to find out that the car, as well as its finish were not what I'd assumed to be. Doesn't change my opinion of Don, tho.

However, I have a friend who's been threatening to paint rust on a street rod to turn it into a rat....well, maybe I won't object as loud as I have been doing.

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I think, if you liked the car before, like it now. It's still pretty cool. Just because it doesn't live up to the story you had in your head doesn't mean you have to "not like it" now.

13. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Not that I don't like the car, I just find faux patina to be slightly phony. Either its got it or it doesn't.

My Model A may be a POS, but it's a REAL POS.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I had to put new wood in the cab and bed and rewire it (and convert to 12v at the same time) but the rest of it (including the lichen, moss and dirt in the corners of the windshield) is real...well, 'cept for the 15" wheels and Moons...well, they're real, just not stock. I've got 16" wires to put on it.

I built it the way I would have if I was 16 years old (almost 50 years ago) and had the money, tools and knowledge that I have now. Well, I ain't rich, but back in the day we were dirt poor. We were too poor to know that we were poor. That's poor. :D

Back then, the most important thing would have been to get it running so I could enjoy it...then start rodding it. Instead, I've loaned it to a friend while I've been working on my salt flats car. He's sposeta install juice brakes, dropped axle and quickchange rear end.

But when I get it back, I'll go back to the same concept. I'll run it until I dig up enough parts to put an interesting motor in it (no 350/350 combo for this one) or blow the banger to kingdom come. Then I'll do like I would have as a teenager: rod it in my own garage and get it back in shape to drive and enjoy. And it'll stay rusty for as long as it stays rusty...but paint ain't high up on the priority list.

[​IMG]

14. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

the body is reall. whats wrong with that?

15. suedestude

suedestude

I would give my left nut for it.

16. daddio211

daddio211

x2!!!

17. I think if I owned a POS and knew it was a POS I probably would not bash someone else's car. It is kind of like walking into the hot house with a bag of rocks and tossing them at the walls.

My first thoughts when I looked at te car was that it looked like Old dad's car only not well kept. It is not my car but if it were I may consider finishing it up and growing my own age on it. But it is fine to me as it sits and I probably would ask the owner about the history behind it before I would ask if it was fauxtina. My next question would be about the long term intentions for the car.

Seeing your pickup for the first time I may ask you the same questions.

Those questions can give some real insite to the person that is answering. I actually am thinking right now as to what a person who owns a POS and knows it is a POS is really like. Of course the long term intentions for the vehicle will tell a lot more. ;)

Back to it, the car has a lot of good going on and may someday end up in the hands of someone who does a little more with it, or not.

18. DRD57

DRD57

A lot of the finish, or "patina" on the car is genuine. It would look pretty stupid if the repaired or replaced bits looked shiny and new so, I made them look like they belonged. I enjoy the car as it is. If you like it, great. If not, that's OK too. Build your car the way YOU like it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

KKrod likes this.
  19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

^^^the man himself and I would not change a thing....simply fucking cool. $.02

20. A Boner

A Boner

I like Don's 32.....your phone booth "A", not so much!

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

You state this as if fact.

In fact MOST of it is OG "authentic", right Don? Only reason it has SOME "artistic" patina was to "repair" from the fender bender?

22. I think that Deuce is bitchin, and I don't care if it's real or fake. It sits perfect, the chassis is excellent, and I would drive the wheels off of it if it were mine.

I've seen the car up close, and I think it's outstanding.

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Okay, so lichen, moss, dirt, and blue bungee cords = real patina. Got it. Thanks man.

24. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

a major reason i like old cars is because they have mechanical brakes

25. A tub

A tub

i like that Deuce, don your a lucky and talented guy in one, wish the unpositives in here would go away, theres just no need to say anything if it isnt nice /nor polite

26. The roadster is tits ! and think for a minute ... if it made you wonder what the History/story behind it was each time you saw it - how important is the legitimacy of the patina ? ' cos you were already wondering how interesting it's past might've been . Hook , line and sinker :)

27. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Apparently the consensus is that Don's car is a lot better than mine. Ok. I can live with that. 'Course mine's a long way from reaching the stage that Don's has.

I didn't say that I didn't like Don's Deuce, but he did things differently than I would have. That's all. Differn't strokes and all that. Now if Don were to offer me his roadster at a price I could afford (think chump change...most of my fixed income goes into my race car), I'd snatch it up in a New York second. And I'd prolly leave it the way it is.

One other thing: if the rust, moss and lichen (as well as the "all original dirt" on the windshield isn't a form of patina, I don't know what is. Looking at the definition of patina, any encrustation on a surface meets said definition.

I'm gonna restate this: I don't DISLIKE Don's roadster. I was just surprised and a bit shocked to see that it's not exactly what it appears to be on the surface. Once could probably say that as an "attention getting device" it works very well.

@A Tub: "theres just no need to say anything if it isn't nice /nor polite" I agree. I don't believe I did that, but if I did, I apologize. However, there were enough negative comments about my A-bone that it appears that not everyone lives by that concept.

I thank everyone who weighed in on this subject, especially the identification of the car, which was the original question.

I'm gonna consider this thread finished at leave it at that.

28. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Sorry, one more.

Yes. I do. Did you read the build diary? Check out this page in it:
    http://www.donshotrodpage.net/Project-32/Page16.htm That describes the application of (in Don's own words) his quandary over faux patina and his decision to apply it.

Three pages later, he describes the crash:
    http://www.donshotrodpage.net/Project-32/Page19.html and its subsequent repair and "inflicting 50 years of neglect and deterioration in a few hours.":
    http://www.benchrace.com/html/9.9.html

Once again, he did things a little differently than I would have, but it's his rod . I admire his skills and their execution. He did a great job of doing what he set out to do.

Enuff said.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wow, lots of crying over a cool Deuce, that i bet the owner built, just the way HE wants it with HIS money

30. A tub

A tub

@A Tub: "theres just no need to say anything if it isn't nice /nor polite" I agree. I don't believe I did that, but if I did, I apologize. However, there were enough negative comments about my A-bone that it appears that not everyone lives by that concept.

Nah not just u, negative comments in general, and btw i like ur pickup also:)