Register now to get rid of these ads!

whos running a quick change on the street ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Talk to Flamedabone, he's in your neck of the woods. He takes his cross country and hasn't had any issues that I know of.

2. And to think, we both like Professor Fate's car too... :)

So you don't have to pull the axles to swap the gears then?

3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I have helical gears in mine. It is still noisy. I took the car to the drags a couple years ago so I put the straight cut back in. It about doubles the noise in mine. I couldn't believe how much louder it was. You have to put different bearings in the cover when you put in helicals because the cut of the gears tries to push the gears into the cover.

4. sdluck

sdluck

Most quickchanges have gears in the rear under the cover,ring and pinion stay the same and the quickie gears mesh each other,one gear is in the pinion and one is on the lower shaft wich is driven by the drive shaft.

5. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last??? I bought mine (V8 center) in 2002, and as of last year were still available new.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute! I have the last one. It's brand new polished with posi and 31 spline axles. It's also available. Ron

Attached Files:

trikejunkie likes this.
  6. I decided to check my rear cover bearings after running helical gears for about 15,000 miles, in my V8 Quick change. They felt rough and I thought they should be replaced before they came apart and caused some expensive damage. I called Winters and inquired if they had tapered roller bearings available. They do not, but are now offering a new HD bearing that is supposed to hold up better than the originals that were supplied, so I ordered a set.
    The Winters number is 7532-01 and are a FAG 6304 Y.HB, which are only available through Winters.
    HemiDeuce.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  7. Thanks for the info... I saw a QC where the bearings weren't caught in time and it blew out the whole center chunk... apparently the guy didn't face the normal straight cut gears with the flange outward and the gears super heated the bearings to failure!

8. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

Nope the gears are located in the back of the rear end, behind that removable cover... just make sure you have a pan down to catch all the gear oil coming out. We could change gears on our sprintcar in about 1 minute flat including replacing any fluid that came out [about table spoon if you have someone ready to slam the cover back on]

Just make sure you put the gears in the correct order [top to bottom, big gear to little gear, affects the gear ratio]

9. I have a Winters champ in mine with a locker. I wanted noise and I got it! A manual gearbox makes having a QC so much fun......

[​IMG]

10. fonti

fonti

wow!! THAT is cool, phuahhh wish mine would look like this, too!!

I have a Frankland QC.
    Advantage: look, noise, driving straight
    Disadvantage: pushes me/the roadster more bad than good around the corners...but it's fun

[​IMG]

11. edweird

edweird

i've got a franklin . i've heard they use ford truck .75 ton axles. mine has a 4.75 offset. i would like to get it centered. how and where do i find axles ? thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  12. edweird

edweird

anyone ????

13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I've got a Winters Champ axle in my 54 Stude Conestoga.
    I've got a few different gear sets and have changed them to see what works best with the engine I have now.
    Running Mobil 1, synthtic gear oil.

As most say, a bit noisy, but other thAn that...no problems.

Mike

14. racemad55

racemad55

Peter,you must have a spool ! I'd change that out before you break an axle on the street, Rick

15. 26 roadster

26 roadster

winters sells them, well any axle joint sells floater axles any length. if you have changed to car/truck bearing ends, same answer

16. Jibs

Jibs

For my next project I've got a Frankland with the wide 5 hubs & big ass finned aluminum drums, anyone running one of these on the street?

17. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I'm running a frankland qc and I love it. But it does make noise.[​IMG]

18. A couple of Mine... er.... uhm... I know I had several cars that I ran QC's on the street... but I'll be Dadgummed to find them!!!:confused:

Found a couple more... but I know the others are buried somewhere!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  19. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Any circle track parts supplier should be able to hook you up. You may have to go with axles that are splined on both end and use drive plates rather than the flanged truck axles.

20. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i am running a real v8 halibrand in my 32 coupedeville. it is noisy and i really like it. i am alittle worried about be to hard on it . i have a 390 cadillac engine in front of it. my hali have 9" axles and 31 spline. i have blown the spider gears out of it once. still cant beat the looks and the sound[​IMG]

Attached Files:

21. striper

striper

Just starting to look at setting up my new Winters. Exciting times.

I went this way because in my modified the rear en is out in full view and I was able to keep the '40 axle bells and '40 brakes but have a posi rear with 31 spline axles that can hold up to a 401. Best of both worlds. Not sure yet about the noise. My driving position puts the centre section just under my left ear. But when I'm driving I can't hear a thing anyway due to wind noise and exhaust so I think the whine should just add to the symphony.

While we are all here. Can someone give me a quick run down "for dummies" on the differences between spools, lockers, limited slip etc. I used to run a stock car with a locked diff so I get that, and my old ute had a LSD so I kind of understand that.

I know you'll be gentle with me.

Pete

22. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

guy at the strip with his model a

Attached Files:

23. Been running this original Torrence case Halibrand V8 since 1987 with no problems.

Converted to 28 spline axles and late model cup bearings, and HD bearings in the case.

Noise varies depending on gearset used and speed. I guess slight variances in lash.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  24. alv

alv
    from jackson,NJ

i finially got my truck on the road. has a winters mini v8 quick change with a spool. have about 60 miles so far all is good. thought the spool would be a problem but don't really notice it. bought it from my oval track friend, has an aluminum spool, aluminum tubes. gundrilled axles, wilwood hubs. really sings at speed and is louder yet when you let off the throttle. not for everyone but i like it.when i get some money together am going to buy a locker for it so i can run autocross with the truck. for pictures check out my build on killbillet website.

25. 29pu

29pu

i got a halibrand champ with a dpi diff in it and love it.almost got enough parts for another one for the next project.the noise doesn`t bother me a bit.lets me know it still back there looking cool.

26. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

got a winters in my dads 32.the whine is a beautiful thing.i hope to have one in my model A along with the sound of a m22 rockcrusher mmmmmm good times...

trikejunkie likes this.
  27. sold one a year or so ago without putting it in anything....so I bought an old sprint car with one in it that we are waiting to dig out....after this heat blows over....

28. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

ive always seen them in lighter cars,,what about full body cars,,tri5 chevys? id like to try one in a "gasser styled" car....

29. Avgas

Avgas

Have run my Champ for 20 plus years, have run full spools and ratchet locker centres. Prefere full spools with the horsepower and stick trans! I always set the centres up tight for street driving and spec a "running In" procedure for customers cars. I have about 50 000 miles on the original centre. I always spec a recovery tank be fitted as the rear cover becomes a gear pump and they will pump dry if vented to atmosphere, must vent the housing, no choice! 4.11 crown wheel gives much better splits with the spur gears, as previously noted helical gears are a no go in these rears.

30. koolbeans

koolbeans

Luv it.....been there

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app