Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Who's leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Jan 16, 2017.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So recently Maryland decided to tighten up their laws on historic tag use. Instead of never driving my car or looking over my shoulder at all times, I decided to go ahead and get it inspected and get real tags on it. I was on the fence about using my original leaf springs with blocks or getting new lowered springs to replace them. This situation kind of steered me towards my decision, since my current leaves were heated, causing an upward bend right behind the front eye. Of course, that'll cause them not to pass inspection. So my question is, should I go with Posies 3" drop springs or St. Louis Spring 3" (or 4") drop springs? I've read both good and bad on Posies over the years so I'm kind of hesitant on them. St. Louis Spring makes the leaf springs for Jamco and they're $20 cheaper than Posies even after shipping. I've only seen a few things on Jamco (St. Louis Spring) springs but they were all good. Most of the time the threads just go into how Jamco sucks, with no real review of the springs. So what's preferred...Posies or St. Louis Spring/Jamco leaf springs (as far as ride quality and longevity)?

2. I bought Poises springs, have not run them yet, they are installed.

Just note they take about 6-8 weeks to get.
    The seem to be 3" drop, I'm working on a '33 Plymouth

I got Eaton springs on the rear, they also are lowered 3".

I have yet to put the full weight on the rear wheels.

Maybe take the car over to a local spring shop and see if you can get away with getting a couple leafs made instead.

3. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Thats one benefit of going with Posies is I can drive about an hour and pick them up at their shop. The local spring shop can straighten my springs back out for $40 but I'm concerned that the strength of the springs has been compromised. They charge through the roof to make a full set of springs. They wanted $100 to bend me up some square u bolts

4. BJR

BJR

Why not use stock springs to pass inspection and then change them?

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

You mean have them straighten them out just for inspection? I guess I could do that but I'd still have to figure out which springs to get. Also, if I pull the current springs out I may end up needing new bushings and u bolts. I'd rather not spend all that just to replace them anyway.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The place where they were bent is now a weak spot. Just bending them back will be temporary.

7. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Stefan, I ran 3"Posie's springs in my '54 Bel Air for approxlmately 15,000 miles. Original 235 driveline, so No sidestepping the clutch and No burnouts... Yet within that low mileage the rear of the springs formed a reverse arch, dropping the car into a lowrider stance, not what I wanted. Sold the takeouts and installed a TCI spring kit. I brought and used trailer u-bolts at the local hardware store, stocked them in various lengths. Hope this info helps, Dyno Dave

8. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Thats exactly what I was thinking which is why I was just thinking new springs. I also don't want to use blocks if I don't have to

9. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

This is one of the negatives I've read about them. Also that they ride poorly. At the same time, I've read how great they ride and how long they last. Is it luck of the draw with them or..? The few posts that I've seen actually talking about jamco product quality is all positive. Unfortunately that's only 3 or 4 posts worth

10. Joe H

Joe H

This last year I replaced all four springs on my '37 truck with Detroit Eaton springs. I am real happy with them. They came with teflon (type) buttons on each leaf with new bushings. The ride is much better, and the fit was exactly right. Since I ordered custom spring rates, the price was a little high, but I new it would be going into it.

Joe

11. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I may have to look into them too. I forgot all about them

12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Just looked them up... $300 each!?! I think I'll stick with one of the two first choices lol