Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whos got or knows about 1927 flatheads.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the duke, Oct 28, 2003.

1. the duke

the duke

Hello fellow HAMBers! My friend and i met a real cool old guy named Wayne Landon, some of you sprint car guys have propably heard of him, but hes a great machinist who builds race engines and just happens to live near me. He has a 1937 Flathead that ran when he got it and hes selling it to my friend John for his car. But Waynes selling it for 400 bucks but we're taking it apart at his shop and he'll do all the engine work it needs included in the four hundred bucks. John my buddy plans on getting a Merc crank from another old fart that we know, And i was wondering if a Merc crank would work in a earlier flathead? We were both wondering if anybody still makes aftermarket aluminum heads for a 1937 twenty one stud flathead, or who previously made them? Well thanks for any help that you can offer! The duke

2. Assdragger

Assdragger

Who wants to tell the man about 1927 21 stud flatheads?

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Well, how about 1937 not 1927. Henry was still making four cylinders back then [​IMG] I have been looking for the same thing and haven't come up with any either. For the most part, I don't think too many hotrodders waisted too much time with these older flattys since they had the option of using a superior later model flathead. In fact, I have yet to see a used set of 21 studders in aluminum.

4. Crestliner

Crestliner

I never counted the studs on a model T engine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Well, CADILLAC was making them in 1927.....Henry hadn't quite caught up by then!

6. The only aftermarket aluminum 21 stud heads that were ever produced were by Cyclone back in the '40s. Bell Auto Parts sold them in their '47 catalog for $65. Perhaps Cook Machine may reproduce them if there's enough demand. Dave

7. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

Didn't Eddie Meyer make them too? I though Don Orosco was repoping the 21 stud heads....

8. DrJ

DrJ

Chevrolet had an OVERHEAD VALVE V8 in either '26 or '27.

9. the duke

the duke

Whoops i meant to say 1937 flathead thanks for the help.

10. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    Didn't Eddie Meyer make them too? I though Don Orosco was repoping the 21 stud heads....

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get the Eddie Meyer Hollywood aluminum 21-stud heads from Flathead Jack. You can also get Ford licensed higher compression heads that look stock from him too.

http://www.flatheadjack.com/

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Meyer made them, Evans made 21 stud heads too, in the front pump pattern
    The Merc crank can be put in the '37 bloc with a good deal of machining. Ron Hollerhan (spelling??) has done it recently, and there is a '37 (disguised as a '36) buildup using this in the Tex Smith flathead book.