Register now to get rid of these ads!

who's built a teardrop trailer from scratch..??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Apr 6, 2008.

1. b-bop

b-bop

Wow Chopt49
    I checked out your official build website - TheWebCzar.com

Fantastic build photos, and very nice job on the trailer. My next build will have a footwell and table for those wet nights where you want to stay inside.

2. chopt49

chopt49

It is a "basement" - storage and turns into a table. The bed is a custom three pc foam that can stack to be the seats. We have camped in the tear now for 6 yrs and never used the inside table... but it is good storage for roadside stuff and more.

Thanks...means a lot to get praise from folks on this board. I have pictures of my tear build here - www.retroteardrop.com

3. atch

atch

kudos to you, my friend.

checked out the trailer build and the 4dr - 2dr conversion. both done nicely. lots of planning and thought went into both. my congratulations on two jobs well done.

don't know where you live, but if you're in the continental US you're within driving distance of the hamb drags. i'd love to see you pull into MoKan in your '49 pulling your trailer.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. Patrick46

Patrick46

My wife & I discussed the idea at one time of the convertable table/footwell idea for the teardrop we're gonna build...but came up with a much better solution!...

When we camp, we always bring along a 10' x 10' E-Z-up...but we also have the 4 zip on side panels. (2 of which have door zips). So in essence, we have a 10' square cabin, with a cozy little 'attached' sleeping compartment!
    We even bring a rolled up carpet, and also have a fold out table. (now we've got our eyes on a pair of inflatable EZ boys too! heh-heh)

Another thing we've seen at a teardrop gathering...which we fell in love with too, is a shower tent. It's like a phonebooth sized tent, that you can put a porta-poty into, plus you can use a portable water heater and use it to take showers in. (my wife's GOTTA have her showers!)....
    and we all know...."if momma's happy...everybody's HAPPY!!"

5. Cymro

Cymro

Doing a bit of on line research i found the build up for Langy's teardrop http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/v2/tech/teardrop_trailer/how_to_build_tear_drop_trailers.php

6. willymakeit

willymakeit

I hope this keeps going as it is great thread. I plan to build one to go behind my 56.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

8. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

I have built from scratch full size trailers and fixed up some old crud's. I'm Board so i did this Tee Nee trailer.................Ray

Attached Files:

9. dan sutton

dan sutton

Built a few...13 I think. This is my 1947 I rebuilt

[​IMG]

Built from scratch in 2007
    [​IMG]

Another re-built '47
    [​IMG]

10. dan sutton

dan sutton

Built this for a lady in 2010
    [​IMG]

11. dan sutton

dan sutton

How about another
    [​IMG]

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ray, this is cool. Is it the same size as a teardrop? Inside pix? Thanx, Gary

13. Patrick46

Patrick46

yes!!! x2!\

(do ya want some Tee-Nee decals for the old girl???) :rolleyes:

14. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

It's only 4' long. No guts.....will backlight the inside so the windows glow. It's just yard art. Ray

15. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Out in the yard.......

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      147.3 KB
      Views:
  16. 19wayfarer50

19wayfarer50

17. 19wayfarer50

19wayfarer50

woops just reliezed how old this thread is

18. I have always wanted to build a tear drop, but much like many rods I want, I just do not physically fit into them very well.
    I have rebuilt about 85% of my 1964 Cardi "canned ham". The body is only a bit over 10 ft at the longest point. I can stand up(@6'6") in this trailer and still pick the tongue to move it by myself.
    This project is why my rusty 55 Chevy had very little attention the last 9 months. My trailer was rotten and I was trying to get it done before Octoberfest! Needless to say, it did not meet the goal, but I will have a nice old trailer for next year!
    The last picture is current progress. I think it would be easier to use an old trailer for templates and build all new rather than repair the old! Good luck!

Attached Files:

19. too cool! :cool:

20. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

An ex-boatbuilder friend of mine hand builds and sells these. They are absolutley beautiful. The interior is done in a map of the world.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Patdoody

Patdoody

wow I love these things! now I know what my next build is going to be. doesnt look to expensive to build one either

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Stunning!!!! I cant imagine the man hours in this...just beautiful!

23. Patrick46

Patrick46

WOW...beautiful workmanship there DaveDog!!!

I'd really like to build a nice woody with a matching teardrop someday...(after I finish my Peterbilt project, and my chopper project, and my ........)

24. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Interesting thread!!! My '63 Teardrop was a factory made unit. Trailorboat MFG, San Rafeal CA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. :D That how it all starts!

26. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Holy cow, That's amazing it would look really good behind my Woodie!
    WOW!

27. Small world. I bought my Modernistic from him this fall. Hell of a road trip and a very nice family. That woody is incredible, pics just don't show the detail.

Attached Files:

28. I built one.
    See my photos
    Fun build.

29. Wife and I rebuilt a 1947 KIT few years back, really a fun project. Bit of advise if you're planning a build. Put a door on each side. Makes getting in/out a lot easier when the other person wants to sleep in or for those middle of the night outhouse breaks.

30. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I Love this...can you post some interior pics?