Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whole car vibration at speed. Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saubo Nasty, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Saubo Nasty

Saubo Nasty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could use some help...

When I get up to 55-60mph I get a pretty nasty vibration throughout the whole car. I replaced my clutch and took it out for a spin and when it got to speed the vibration happened. I noticed when taking out my driveline that the slip yoke had some wear. I hand my entire driveline serviced this week, everything new but the two shafts. Put it in a hour ago and I still have the same problem.

It does not vibrate with RPM.
    Does the same vibration when in second gear or in third when getting near 55-60.

Other info. you may want/need: 62 Bel Air, 283 w/ 3 speed Saginaw trans.

Any suggestion will help....
    Thanks!

2. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

I once had a similiar sounding problem that ended up being an out of balance driveshaft.

3. You did say two shafts? If the drive line is of two piece design, the shafts may not have been synchronized. The U-joints have to line up perfectly. If the shafts are slide together even one spline off, the vibrations will be awsome. I bought a '71 Chevy with 4 speed truck trans that had the shafts out of synch. Vibration was so bad, that the trans bolts would back out and the clutch would trash.

4. knotheads

knotheads

a worn tailshaft bushing will cause a nasty vibe at speed too!

5. Saubo Nasty

Saubo Nasty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the replies so quick.
    I'm gonna crawl back under there and see what's going on.
    Its wierd, the same vibration before and after I had the split drive line serviced. So, I'll double check my u-joints. And then check the bushing after that.

Any and all other suggestions are welcomed.
    Trying to get my baby running to get to Billetproof!

6. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Just a thought -- did you change any of the tires? Any chance they developed a flat spot?

I agree with driveshaft as primary culprit!

good luck!

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Had a problem like this on my 68 charger..turned out to be the torque converter..no kidding. just a thought for you if you look everywhere else and dont succeed..try another one..other stupid question , has this drive line ran with no problems before? or is this the first time out with it? Other stupid question than i will leave you alone..Is the engine externally balanced or internally? I dont know what car/ engine you have so im asking?! ok done! let us know what you find.

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I had the same vibration accure once in my Pontiac powered F~100, I shot a chunk of the disk material off the clutch wile speed shifting it.

Hence.. Out of balance flywheel assy, vibrated like a bitch.

Did you replace the center carrier bearing when ya did the drive shaft ??

If not id lay money on the bearing, Had '60 El Camino that ate them bearing all the time... They will cause wicked vibration.

9. I doubt it is this but I once broke a crank in a 327 and it still ran but vibrated. I've had wheel problems that only show up at speed. One time I had a wild vibration show up all of a sudden in the front of my 31 coupe. I pulled over and spent 15 minutes looking everything over very carefully and it all looked fine. Got back on the road and it was still there. Next time I pulled over I saw a large chunk of tread missing from one of the front tires, that part of the tire was on the ground at the last stop.

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

When my drive shaft on my Chevy gets wonky, it vibrates at pretty much any speed. It's a two piece sucker as well.

The only time I can recall it vibrating at higher rates of speed, such as freeways, was just before it spit out its front wheel bearings.

11. bobblehead

bobblehead

Every vehicles suspension has a certain vibration to it, as well as the tires. Speeds between 55- 65 is where the tire vibrations match the suspension vibrations. therefore, the vibration is magnified, does it do it above those speeds? I would put my money on one of the tires being out of balance.

12. uglymailman

uglymailman
    from missouri

Dot't think this is your prob. but--- Dad's bud replaced engine in 68' Ford !/2 ton & got vibration at 55 to 60 mph. Not till then & not above 60. Turned out he didn't get flywheel that went w/ the engine he bought. Went back to salvage yard & got the flywheel for the replacement engine. Prob. solved. Good luck!

13. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

Just read your question again . You say you replaced your clutch then you noticed the vibration. Well if it wasn't there before then it must be the clutch? right.

14. make sure that the rear u joint is centered at the rear end if it's not the shaft will vibrate like hell.
    george

15. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

sounds Like A Center Carrier Bearing,,but You Said That Was Replaced ,,right???? That Would Be The Very Fisrt Thing I'd Check As Those Are Notorious

16. Saubo Nasty

Saubo Nasty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just want to give a big Thank You!!
    I am not sure what the problem was because I took everyones suggestions and put it all back together.
    No more vibration!
    Thanks fellas!